No announcement yet.

W Istanbul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as location goes and out of the three (PH, GH and W), the W is certainly the most convenient for the nearby 10/15-minute ferry ride to the Asian side of Istanbul, e.g. Kadıköy.

It was just my feeling but Kadıköy seemed interesting and less touristy than Taksim; and somewhere I want to explore further. It also has the restaurants opened by Musa Dağdeviren - two selling kebabs etc and the other (which I tried) being the famous and unassuming Çiya Sofrasi (a foodie destination) which serves cheap, unusual but very tasty food, e.g. stuffed intestines and candied fruits for dessert. I wouldn't mind eating there again.

e.g.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a8a0da30-6...44feab49a.html

Comment

Checked-in this morning.

Maybe I haven't noticed it before but is it W SOP to call me by my first name ? It feels too familiar.

I got a room like KeithMEL's - a studio suite in the roof space. No apples in the room - I was only told at check-in that the Internet and a bottle of water each day are complimentary for plats.

Rather than risk being taken for a ride by an IST cab driver, I booked the Bangkok AOT equivalent option - from a recommendation on TOF:

http://www.backpackerstravel.net/index.php?pid=20&id=43

EUR 50 for a roundtrip compared to around EUR 40-45 in a taxi. Met at arrivals by a girl who took me outside to a large aircon minivan (just me). Offered some drinks on the way to town. Paid cash to the driver when I arrived. Totally hassle free. I will definitely use them again!

This time, I arrived on TK - my first time with them and I thought they were very good. Warm friendly service even in Y. Check-in in ATH and as a *G I was given a priority immigration card for IST (I didn't get that before when taking LX or BA in J).

Edit: the apple (plus some pastries and water) just turned up.
      Last edited by jhm; 28 August 2010, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Just checked into the GH and one big difference I notice - unlike the W, this place has YouTube!

Comment

I didn't get free in-room internet (only in the Living Room, where internet is free for everyone anyway), nor was I referred to by first name... Much rather have my mojito than pastries though.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            I didn't get free in-room internet (only in the Living Room, where internet is free for everyone anyway)
            I think you stayed there before free Internet became a plat benefit ?

Spice Market by Jean Georges is gone! There's only the somewhat bland and boring Kitchen (where I had dinner - I try to spend something at a hotel if I'm using a free night award).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              I think you stayed there before free Internet became a plat benefit ?
              Oh, of course! D'oh...
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
              X