Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Finally Finished!] Kyo Does The Land Of The Midnight Sun (aka Kyo Visits Norway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much, MAN Flyer for filling in that bit of info for me (and to the someone who PM-ed me the answer also). Magnificent looking building for sure and will make it a point to visit it one day.

I promise that we will get to the Norway part very soon...

Comment

I have seen God perform at the Royal Albert Hall!

Comment

Departure From Heathrow

I proceeded to locate the check-in counter for SK.

SK - Business Check-In

Got the simple SK BP and headed for a quick spot of postcard/keychain shopping for some friends at a shop called "Glorious Britain", and we were soon on our way. Good way to use up a few of those spare GBPs..

SK - Business BP

Heathrow's departure immigration line was heaving (reminds me of BKK's Suvarnabhumi recently) and I was glad for the J BP to get through the express queue. I went through and headed straight for SQ's SKL J. Despite only transiting the last time around, I found it quite easy to navigate the departure area.

Finding the SKL a little too full (and the F side comparatively empty), I detoured to SK's London Lounge and went inside, thankful for a chance to catch my breath, get on the Internet and to get some food.

SK - Business Check-In

Soon, after the nourishment, I confidently headed out and somehow I went in the totally wrong direction (right instead of left). As a result I had to scramble cross-terminal where I barely made the gate in time!

SK806 - Last to board

What a disaster the OSL DO would have been had I actually stood in line at the wrong end of Heathrow...

Hedrun Viking - Our bird for today was waiting at the tarmac

Plenty of legroom - 1A was the right guess, beautiful Norwegian views awaited!

What a great little airline - Awaiting takeoff, we spotted this blue miracle

Within moments, we blast off from London - affording me one final glimpse of this great city...

Goodbye London - We're almost reaching OSL!

Goodbye United Kingdom - The last piece of land I see before our imminent arrival into OSL

Crosti Oregano - To start

Fish - For a main course, yummy!

White Wine - Pleasant

That kept me fueled for the duration of the flight.

EDIT: Name of bird is not 'Nortel Viking' but 'Hedrun Viking'

Next instalment: Arrival into OSL!
        Last edited by Kyo; 25 February 2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Looking forward to the OSL arrival report!!

Great TR by the way!!

Comment

Arrival Into Oslo! (Finally!)

Fully Fed - Full of Scandinavian goodness

The crew also started serving dessert. It had a lemon sherbet sort of flavour. Quite tasty but the colour was a little... bright!

Cake - Zesty Flourescent Yellow Flavour!

A few minutes after the meal, I leaned back in my seat and to my surprise spotted some activity down below. I caught my first glimpse of Norway!

A little boat speeding along Norway's coastline - And my first glimpse of Norway

Look closely - And my first glimpse of Norway

That's the Oslo fjord down below! Two pictures...

Oslo fjord - The gateway into Oslo

And two minutes later...

Oslo - Finally!

Yes, it had only taken the better part of 2.5 days, but we were about to descend into Gardermoen International Airport, Norways own little hub...

Oslo Harbour - The new ARN

Spotted these rail/car links - Descent into Gardermoen

Unfortunately, no pictures of the airport as I was on the wrong side. Sigh.

Windy day! - We landed with a little bump

And soon, seatbelt signs went off, and I was out quickly of my seat...

Seat 1A - My home for the last 2 hours...

...but last to disembark. Yes, it turns out that today, we were exiting from the rear and would be bussed into the terminal, despite 'docking' at Gate 11...

Confusing - We'd reached Gate 11, but still had to get off at the rear!

Next instalment: From Terminal To Town

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              ...Oslo Harbour - The new ARN...
              Maybe the tourist board should adopt that as their new slogan

Comment

From Terminal To Town

Norwegian - Nettbuss Crew Service

Oslo Gardermoen - One of the most scenic landscape views from the tarmac anywhere

We made our way to the terminal past some Norwegian birds in red and white livery (somehow this reminded me of my missed opportunity to try the red birds of Air Greenland)...

Norwegian - Apparently they fly from LHR-OSL one way for EUR29 all-inclusive, not bad!

Went past immigration, which was very efficient - they cleared everyone within a matter of minutes.

Long corridors - Smooth clean lines are distinctively Scandinavian

I finally found a spot for my obligatory self-portrait!

OSLo - Velkommen til Oslo Lufthavn

OSLo Airside - Went down some escalators, the use of glass lets alot of natural light into the terminal and the high ceilings provide a very airy feel

It was at this juncture that things took an unexpected turn. My SQ Suites tagged baggage that I'd checked in at the SQ FC Check-In in T3 over 36 hours ago, had suddenly failed to arrive. Everyone had collected their bags and apart from a few forlorn cardboard boxes, nothing was left. I was worried (the bag was one of my favourites - the Alexander McQueen Samsonite) but more importantly, it contained my Billabong jumper (Aussie speak for sweater) that I had intended to use that afternoon!

Since this was the first time I've ever had luggage 'not turn up', it was a learning process for me to figure out who to speak to (the SAS people were most helpful in this regard - although they did blame Heathrow, "This always happens when luggage goes through Heathrow..."), what to do (fill out a form) and get a free gift (a Star Alliance black amenity kit containing overnight essentials and a free plain white shirt - wow, bonus!)

Moral of the story is - if you want to maximise your 'take-home' kit, feel free to check-in another bag or two via LHR ala 'phaleesy'-style with her travel insurance compensation shopping technique (TM). It's one way to make a visit to OSL more affordable.

I paid for a two-way ticket on the Oslo version of the Airport Express, called the Flytoget connecting Oslo Airport, Gardermoen to Oslo Central (Station).

The Flytoget Train - From Airport to Town in 22 minutes. Flat.

Do take note: This is by far the fastest and cheapest option to get into town! The alternative is of course, a taxi, but that'll cost you a whopping US$130!

Oslo Central Station - From the platform... head for the escalator ramp

As you can see...

The escalator ramp - Has brightly coloured neon lights

That change colour - For example, from pink

To orange - You get the idea...

Sorry for the delay, need inspiration!

Next instalment: Walking around Oslo's brand-new Opera House

Comment

Hats off to you for the update Kyo Also thanks for the heads up on Norwegian Air from LHR-OSL, will definitely look into that option.

Comment

Walking Around Oslo Operahuset (Opera House)

Well, in no time at all, I was out of the station and greeted by our gracious host in Norway, RennyBA (who has since signed up on this forum). Now, I haven't gone into much detail previously but RennyBA is actually quite well-known in Oslo - in fact, I stumbled upon one of his blog posts whilst researching for Oslo locations to get seafood (literally) 'fresh off the boat'. He was most accommodating to my request for more information and to cut a long story short, very soon a rough agenda was co-ordinated and he agreed to take both DO attendees to see the sights of Oslo.

Directly opposite Oslo Central Station is Oslo's latest icon - the Oslo Opera House.

Oslo Opera House - Just before sunset

I'll stitch those two photos together later on...

RennyBA - The gracious host of DO:OSLo in front of the Opera House with yours truly

It's a massive structure designed to look like the tip of an iceberg thrusting out of the Oslo Fjord. I personally think they have succeeded in that regard! One of the key requirements whilst designing the structure was to ensure that the roof could be reached by walking up on the exterior, without the need for stairs. Confused? The picture below illustrates...

The Slope/Roof - Uses a gradient that gradually slopes upwards, allowing easy accessibility to the top 'deck' with a minimal workout session

I was dragging two carry-ons and a garment bag, so it was by no means easy! Having said that, not everyone is silly enough to surmount the Opera House direct from the airport... 'nuff said!

Glancing across the road at Oslo Central Station - This is halfway up the Slope

The incline is quite manageable - As hereby demonstrated by these unknowing participants

The 'Top Deck' - Quite a few people on the roof admiring the view, took quite awhile to even get this shot

Looking at the hills to the left/behind the Opera House - Apparently that's a Maritime Academy of sorts now (used to be a castle, iirc)

Looking to the right/towards the city - That building in the foreground is called Havnelageret (otherwise known as Oslo Harbour Warehouse - now within are the headquarters of Dagbladet, one of Norway's main tabloids)

We slowly made our way down again.

Glass walls - Allow you to look right through the structure (and act as a beacon of light during the night to those outside)

We wandered inside for a peek...

Wooden Slats - Create feelings of warmth

Golden Glow - Interplay of the sun's rays and the wood through glass

Next instalment: A Walk Around Town

Comment

Oslo Operahuset (cont.) and A Walk Around Town

Four Levels - With corresponding entrances for the performances inside (I didn't go in)

The Opera House restaurant - Very pricey (even by Norwegian standards, I checked)

The Cloakroom - Very psychedelic

Due to my losing of luggage and the corresponding slight delay in my arrival, the sun was now starting to set (in this part of the world, it takes a longer period to set, then say, Singapore), so we decided it'd be a good idea to get going.

The Havnelageret - At Dusk

At the side of Oslo Central Station (also known as Ostbanehallen), we stopped for a quick panorama shot (once again, to be combined) of the Fred Olsens Gate square - this marks the beginning of Oslo's main pedestrian thoroughfare: Karls Johan Gate (pronounced as 'Gar-Ter', rather German, I thought).

Ostbanehallen - Oslo Central Station

Fred Olsens Gate - The start of Karls Johan Gate also holds a local landmark (look closely - it's the Oslo Tiger statue)

Karls Johan Gate - A word of wisdom from RennyBA, "If you ever get lost in Oslo, ask the locals for 'Karls Johan' (Gate)"

Oslo 'Domkirke' - The Oslo Cathedral is the first prominent landmark you'll see when walking from the station

Within a few minutes, we've reached the highest point of Karls Johan. You could call it a square.

The Freia! Sign - It's a popular chocolate brand amongst the locals. Do note: Looking back at Oslo Central Station (yellow building in the middle) gives an idea of the distance covered

The Palace in the distance - Glancing over the crest of the hill in the other direction

The Parliament House - Also happens to be conveniently situated a stone's throw away from the Palace

The Grand Hotel - The fanciest address in Oslo, also near the palace (it's near Hard Rock Oslo)

Next instalment: Twilight In Oslo City

Comment

Twilight In Oslo City

Across from the Grand Hotel lies one of Karl Johan's most famous attractions within the Spikersuppa Garden - the 'Spikersuppa Kunstisbane' (say what!?!). During the summer, it's a pond, but during the winter, kids rejoice: free ice-skating rink! In this photo, it's *just* before Winter (due to the Indian Summer of 2009 in Oslo.

Spikersuppa Kunstisbane - It literally translates to 'The Nail Soup', which if anything, sounds rather kinky...

In between the pond and the National Theatre, you'll see this dignified gentleman:

Henrik Wergeland (1808-1845) - Renowned Norwegian poet

On cue, the lights at the Nationaltheater switch on, beautifully lit up:

Patrons of the Theatre: Ibsen, Holberg and Bjørnson- A performance is just starting and the crowd has arrived

We proceeded to get back onto Karl Johans and saw the Hard Rock Oslo (didn't even know they had a branch here, but RennyBA informed me the 'Americanisation' of Norway, at least of Oslo, was very much in effect)

Hard Rock Oslo - This is the quirkiest building on the entire street!

Right next to it, we have the University of Oslo.

University of Oslo - The building with the greatest real estate on Karl Johans

Back across the street behind the National Theatre to a famous fountain

The Meeting Point - As its known by the locals, RennyBA obliging for a picture

Some joker decided they'd put washing powder into the fountain behind us...

A Soapy Meeting Point - Don't get any ideas

We made our way onwards up the hill and then the full glory of the palace came into view. Very grand indeed.

The Oslo Palace - More private than TPR

We've now arrived at the farthest point of Karls Johan. Night was coming quickly now, and we were rushing to my accommodation for this leg of the trip. But we stopped to take one quick photo -

The Memorial of Alfred Nobel - The Nobel Institute (not to be confused with the Nobel Museum

Interesting side fact:

Only the Nobel PEACE Prize is awarded by the Norwegians. All the other Nobel Prizes aren't.

Random Street Scene - While asking for directions

Didn't have time for any more photos after this.

Next instalment: Dinner In Oslo

Comment

Dinner In Oslo

We eventually found my accommodation (as far as I'm aware, this is just about the cheapest place in Oslo at roughly 90 GB pounds a night, no kidding!!) which was actually quite a distance from the centre of town (Karl Johans).

Deciding not to dally, I dumped the luggage (finally!) and headed out with RennyBA for dinner. We decided to go for somewhere with distinctly Norwegian fare, and 'Det Gamle Raadhus' was where we decided to go.

Behind this big red door - Norwegian bounty awaits... for some reason, I'm pointing at the sign, don't mind me...

Det Gamle Raadhus - Translated, it means 'The Old City Hall', and we're talking 1641-old here!

It's in the Michelin Guide - This will undoubtedly be of particular importance to the likes of 9V-SIA and jhm!

Now, as anyone who's been reading about DO:OSLo since the planning stages knows, I'd been anxiously yearning for half a year for some Lutefisk and some Gravlax.

Sadly, this was not to be this evening. Because Lutefisk is only served end-October onwards (we'd come a month early, unfortunately). As for Smalahove... we were also out of luck.

Instead - we sat down and promptly began our feast

Dinner - doesn't come with wine, that's separate...

Salmon, reindeer and dessert - It only costs 435 Kroner (roughly, that's $100SGD)...

The traditional Norwegian menu reads:

Dagens anbefaling
                          Restaurant Det Gamle Raadhus

Salmon - from Bomlo (somewhere South-West of Norway) marinated with horseradish
                          salad and sweet pea puree

Filet of reindeer - from Roros (somewhere middle of Norway)
                          braised shank, selleriaq, pan fried chantarell and red wine sauce

Cake/Dessert 3 Ways - Chocolate and blackcurrant troika
                          marinated blackcurrant from Almhaug farm

The meal was truly delicious. The salmon was delicate and a joy to eat. The reindeer, gamey and it hit all the right notes. Of special note: the sauces - I am (very) fussy when it comes to sauces claiming to be all 'this and that', and I'm glad to say the sweet pea puree and the red wine reduction (that's what it was) still bring a smile to my face. It was very, very good indeed. Massive thumbs up - this place knows how to sauce!

After satiating our hunger, it's time for a drink

Next stop - The bar in the next room

Pardon the bluriness - The bartender's first time using my camera, but you get the idea

Linie Akevitt - The national alcoholic tipple is of course, available

Funny things happen - After you drink Linie Akevitt (my facial expression is testament to it... very odd taste)

We decided to quit while we were ahead (past midnight at that time), and I was *severely* jet-lagged, and thus concludes Day #1 of DO:OSLo!

Next instalment: An Unforgettable Breakfast
                          Last edited by Kyo; 7 May 2010, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Not to be a pain but the bottle in the 3rd photo from the bottom is Line Akevitt and not the 2nd from bottom (where it is tagged).

The story about Linie is that it was left (in the cask) onboard a vessel that was sailing from Europe to Australia, and the crew only remembered / found out after the vessel came back into Europe. When they tasted the Akevitt, they found that it was especially good (as good as Akevitt can taste I guess... I am not a fan of it at all). From then on it became a tradition to ship the bottles across the equator and back again before selling it. The company that ships it is Wilh. Wilhelmsen of Norway...

Load of bull if you asked me, but then again I guess it's always nice to have some form of tradition... Makes for a good story as well I guess..
                            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Day 2 - An Unforgettable Breakfast

I was very glad to get the rest I did, because Day 2 would be another full-on day. Whilst waiting for our final DO attendee to arrive later that afternoon (SQflyergirl, no less), I found myself free that morning to wander around on my own.

After getting through the morning routines, I realised breakfast would be a Continental affair and nothing spectacular. Certainly, no sausage. So, I got ready to find something outside with hopefully a little more 'novelty'.

Here's a shot of the place where I stayed (the bargain rate, unfortunately, meant staying in the attic, which was actually not bad). No suites here...

Residence Kristinelund - Just about the cheapest accommodation you're likely to get in OSL

After staring at a very unhelpful bus timetable for 10 minutes, I promptly gave up...

Bus Route Info - It's all Norwegian to me...

... and decided to ask the first bus driver that came along for directions instead. Fortunately, English was no problem for the helpful bus driver and I was promptly whisked to within the vicinity of the National Theatre (a street or two away from Oslo Harbour). I knew what to look out for as RennyBA had pointed out that Oslo Harbour was right next to the Old Town Hall.

The Old Town Hall - Oslo's most prominent landmark

Glancing around you'll notice two other items of interest...

The wharf - Look closely, the boat on the left says 'Reker' which I'll come back to later...

And

The Nobel Peace Centre - Theme of the season "From King to Obama"

Back to one of the initial inspirations for the trip to Oslo - the seafood! I was inspired by this little blog entry here blog post and I was looking forward to the very unique breakfast I had planned that morning.

'Rekke' - From another angle

Buying seafood fresh off the boat - A common sight in Oslo

A fisherman busy weighing something... most mysterious!

Friendly fisherman - The fisherman weighing his catch for a customer while catching up on the daily goss. Personalised one-on-one service!

Indecipherable - I guessed it had to do with the price of some of the seafood

And I was right!! I ponied up the dosh (costs 7 NOK for 100gms), and for the extremely cheap *by Norwegian standards*, I hasten to add, price of 70NOK, I had bought myself a kilo of breakfast wrapped up in a little white packet.

What have we here?

Reker - Otherwise known as fresh Norwegian shrimp!

The cold and salty feast of shrimp that morning was truly enjoyable. I enjoyed the cold fresh morning air, listening to the sound of the boats creaking along the wharf and the early wafts of jazz from a musician who'd just set up his stand next to the tram tracks some 50 metres away.

I had more than enough to eat, so I gave some to the hungry locals...

This guy looked hungry - After a few shrimp, he started to get choosy also!

There was plenty of shrimp to go around - And soon, there was a sizeable following of an assortment of avians crowding me eating up the bits the first bird didn't want

I collected some of the half-strewn shrimp remains, stuffed them back into the white packet they'd come in, and disposed of the litter. I'd finally accomplished one of my 'things-to-do' this trip.

Eating fresh shrimp by the harbour off the boat - Check

Next instalment: A ride around Oslo Harbour
                              Last edited by Kyo; 10 May 2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

The sign actually says "Fresh Fish and Newly-Cooked (freshly cooked) Shrimps from 7:00am"! He probably decided to open an hour earlier.... Interesting the time coincides with the price!
                                God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Working...
                                X