Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16 hours journey from SUB to HKG anyone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 hours journey from SUB to HKG anyone???

Prelude....

Usually, it's only take 4.5 hours direct flight by CX from SUB to HKG.
    But being me, that's not enough for my greediness for flying.
    So I re-routed my self to the longer hopping with a sufficient time to enjoy the lounges.
    And in the end, it became a 16 hours journey from SUB to HKG.

Warning:
    This trip report may contain tons of pictures of mouthwatering food in enormous portion, new and old pictures of lounges and also the seats and IFE features.
    The reader's patient and discretion are advised, but a parental guidance is not needed.
    Last edited by Dent@SUB; 30 April 2010, 05:26 PM.

Chapter 1: SUB-CGK by the new GA B737-800NG

Introduction..

I left my home quite early for my 7:00am flight to CGK, around 5am.
    Still light headed and empty stomach, I arrived at Juanda International Airport (SUB) around 5:45am.
    The airport has already crowded. I think the airport terminal building already need an expansion, especially for the domestic terminal, very crowded in this peak hour.
    Luckily GA used international terminal for check in their domestic pax.
    Check in at the J class counter was a breeze. GA has improved a lot for their ground service. They're aiming to be a 5 stars airlines on the next couple of years. And they're on the right track now.
    Got my BP, I headed to the second floor, where the lounges and gates are.

The GA Lounge....

When I was there, they were still renovating the lounge. So, they only opened half of the lounge for their J pax (GA call it "executive class")

Comment

The GA new J seat....

As usual as an early morning flight, the flight was on time. Boarding was commenced 30 minutes before departure time.

As I entered the cabin, I was surprise to found out that this plane was the plane that have the new cabin setting, the one that completely different from the old one, even on the same B737-800. GA called this one as B737-800NG.

This some pictures from the regular B737-800 that I took a month earlier:

And with a supeeeeerrrrr special leg room.... and I called this as a class behind the cockpit....

Now it's time to introduce the GA new J seat, the GA Crown's Jewel, the show case of the best J seat on the commercial narrow body aircraft (B737 series)...

Comment

The pillow was soooo comfortable in the decent size...

And the mandatory ala SQFGtm leg shoot....

Luv the curtain's colour...

Some shoots from the lavatory....

Luv that winglet....

Comment

The IFE (AVOD)....

I didn't expect the IFE would be fully functional on this 1h10m flight. But it did.
          All content in the menu were fully functional, either by touching the screen or via the remote....

Comment

They even had a PIP option if you want to check out another program while keep watching your movie...

Comment

The Meal....

For this 1h10m flight, GA offered us 2 meals option for breakfast.
              "Nasi Goreng" (fried rice) or Omelet. I opted the later one.
              Service from the FAs was superb. Not too formal, not also not too casual. I just felt like their "best friend". The senior purser introduce himself to every pax in J cabin, not in the robotic way but in the way like you meet an old friends.
              Even when they need to set up the table for the meal, they politely asked me if they can help me to pull out the table from the side arm. No rush for the table.
              Saw me so fast emptying my meal, the FA offered me again for another round.
              But I was to shy to accept the offer... So politely decline the offer.
              But it was a very nice gesture from them.

Some shoots from my window...

The Arrival...

We landed smoothly at CGK T2...
              Our aircraft parked at T2F, dedicated terminal for GA domestic flights.
              I disembarked first, and paced my self to the baggage reclaim area.
              I wanted to know, how much time for the J pax's luggage to reached the claim area.
              Last time I took GA J to CGK, the bags already waited for me when I reached the claim area.
              This time, I just win for about 1 minute!
              There was a concierge style counter dedicated for J class luggage.
              J class luggage come first, waaaaayyyyyy ahead the Y class luggage.
              This is a very nice service from GA for their premium pax.
              Wonder why SQ can't do that...

Comment

I always enjoy reading your TRs.

Love the flight plan in post #1

Nice new J seats. Quantum leap from the old eh?

Very impressive IFE. Any Air Map or just flight information?

MI take note!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  I always enjoy reading your TRs.
                  Thanks mate... I'm a fans of yours too....

Love the flight plan in post #1
                  it's from gcmap.com

Nice new J seats. Quantum leap from the old eh?
                  As an Indonesian, now I can proud of GA... They're really on the right track now....

Very impressive IFE. Any Air Map or just flight information?
                  They do have Air Map, and it's quite impressive... will post them on the return sector....

MI take note!!!
                  Yes, MI take note!!!
                  And bring back SQ to SUB..!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                    Yes, MI take note!!!
                    And bring back SQ to SUB..!!!
                    Hear, hear!

Very extensive review of the new IFE!

Thanks for the TR, I always enjoy Garuda TRs and I will be keen to try them one fine day...

Comment

Chapter 2: CGK's Lounges

With plenty of time to catch my SQ flight at 11:40am, I went upstair for check in my next flight.
                      Check in at SQ F counter was a breeze. After asking about the F load that day, I asked the check in agent to block the next seat of mine. It only 4 pax of 12, so she was happily full fill my request.

SQ use Esplanade Lounge for their premium pax at CGK.

But because there are some other lounges there, I decided to pay a visit to some of them before lounging at the Esplanade.

First stop: Starbuck Coffee....

For the ANZ Platinum and Black card holder, you're entitled 1 food and 1 drink from the Starbuck.
                      After for a long time I haven't use my ANZ card, I want to tried their benefit this time, and also after I saw a nice tarmac view from inside the cafe.

After finishing my Green Tea Frapuchino and Tiramisu, I headed for my next stop, to the real lounges.

On the way to the end of the terminal 2D where the 3 lounges were, I spotted one other lounge.
                      It's called Batavia Lounge.

It was look shabby and uninterested. So I skipped this lounge.

And here are the 3 lounges that occupied the end part or CGK terminal 2D:

The Esplanade Lounge

The Pura Indah Lounge

And the Premier Lounge

Last edited by Dent@SUB; 1 May 2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        Hear, hear!

Very extensive review of the new IFE!

Thanks for the TR, I always enjoy Garuda TRs and I will be keen to try them one fine day...
                        Thanks Kyo(+)....
                        I'm always enjoy reading your TRs.... I'm a big fans of yours...

Comment

Great report. Keep those pictures coming!

That's one amazing flight path from SUB to HKG. Well, at least you've got to experience the new B738NG. All CGK - SIN - CGK flights are now on this new aircraft except for GA 830 / 831 which is on the new A332.

I just noticed that GA only uses the new chinaware on its International routes. Domestic routes still have the old chinaware.

By the way, I was told that new Kebaya uniform (for the girls) and the maroon and grey jacket uniform for the boys will be in full force starting June 1, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                            Great report. Keep those pictures coming!
                            Thanks UMD....
                            Don't worry, tons are coming....

That's one amazing flight path from SUB to HKG. Well, at least you've got to experience the new B738NG. All CGK - SIN - CGK flights are now on this new aircraft except for GA 830 / 831 which is on the new A332.
                            Now GA have a proper products for their lucrative CGK-SIN-CGK route. It's good for their image and can be competitive with other airlines on that route....
                            If only GA re-open SUB-SIN-SUB route with this NG product, it will be a serious contender for MI. I believe GA will beat MI down with this new product. The MI advantage only the connection with SQ's flight via Changi.
                            Now GA re-open SUB-HKG-SUB route with this B737-800NG starting 1 June 2010. It will be a nice option beside CX for this direct route.

I just noticed that GA only uses the new chinaware on its International routes. Domestic routes still have the old chinaware.
                            I hope it's only temporary until they finished all the fleet restructuring...
                            It would be nice see a new style chinaware on the domestic route... Just like their paper napkin (a very nice touch for a paper napkin).

By the way, I was told that new Kebaya uniform (for the girls) and the maroon and grey jacket uniform for the boys will be in full force starting June 1, 2010.
                            Yup... I was also told about that. They will launch their new Kebaya uniform together with the re-launch CGK-AMS route (via DXB) on 1 June 2010. And it's a very nice Kebaya. Can't wait to see GA crews on their new Kebaya.
                            Last edited by Dent@SUB; 2 May 2010, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Second Stop: Premier Lounge....

Now it's time to visit the first lounge, the Premier Lounge.
                              Using one of my credit card's benefit, I had access for this lounge.
                              This lounge in fact was quite nice, spacious, decent food and drink option (except for the alcoholic drinks), decent internet and business station, and a decent toilet.
                              But this lounge has no tarmac view or even a window...

Comment

Working...
                              X