SQ feedback:No caviar if you BTC??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ feedback:No caviar if you BTC??

This post follows on from my previous post in which only one portion of caviar was loaded on SQ 318 on 21/6/2018, with a full component of 4 passengers.
    I have now received feedback from SQ.
    They tell me that:
    1. The caviar was not offered to me as a starter because I ordered the BTC lobster for my main and did not order the standard meal!!
    2. They tell me they only loaded one portion for the passenger who had the standard meal (presumably did not use the BTC)
    3. They also tell me that if I want caviar on my return F flight from CPH to SIN on 8/7/2018, then I need to cancel my BTC order, which, by the way is only the Japanese BREAKFAST!
    This means that, unlike stated on any web page, they have begun penalising passengers who order BTC and not loading caviar as the appetiser for these passengers, which sounds bizarre.
    It is hard to imagine this explanation being correct, but let me know if I am mistaken. I have always been offered the caviar service in addition to BTC, as recently as Jan 2018 when I flew the new A380 suites out of Sydney and used BTC for the lobster
    If it is, be aware that you may not be offered caviar if you BTC
    Their response is particularly incomprehensible as caviar is a starter or appetiser and you cannot use BTC for an appetiser
    Im interested in your response

In such cases, you would need to be stern in your reply and state factually that there is no written conditions which states that caviar service is not available for BTC meals, and that BTC is only applicable for the main course and not the starter.

Through my experiences, many a times, the person who replies the feedback has no clue of the service procedures onboard.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Hi ian46, thanks for sharing the response you received. I'm very surprised at the response from SQ. As a single data point, in February this year, on SQ232 SYD-SIN in Suites, I BTC'd the lobster, and was able to select the caviar for my starter.

Comment

Wow this is something new to me too.
        I have always gotten my caviar despite using BTC service.
        I wonder if this is indeed the official policy.
        Doesn’t sound right though as BTC is only for the main course.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
          it is definitely not the official policy

if it were, by implication, any fcl pax ordering btc will be served just the main course on a one single plate because they did not load any caviar, soup, dessert, bread, salt & pepper for him/her. one single plate of btc and that's it, like giving a plate of food to fido. I have never heard such rubbish before

even at the height of the gfc ten years ago, when they served the most inedible, disgusting, straight out of a supermarket box "desserts," caviar was still served

Comment

If you can share your feedback reference number, I can try and bring this to the right attention.

Comment

BTC'd in Suites recently and still got my caviar (and all other course, salad, soup etc...)

Comment

do they serve caviar for supper or breakfast in suites?

Comment

Thank you all for your informative feedback and suggestions.
                  After a few email exchanges in which I was assertive about the BTC historically being SEPARATE to the starter courses, I finally received an email from SQ acknowledging that a mistake had been made in not loading the caviar.
                  They have also rectified the error of initially informing me thatI had to cancel my order of the Japanese breakfast on the CPH-SIN flight, in order to have the caviar for the lunch service on this flight.
                  They were gracious in their (final) apology.
                  It is still a mystery that the BTC option for the CPH flight has disappeared (it only ever had the Japanese breakfast as an option but this has disappeared too!!)
                  I will report back on the CPH flight
                  Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                    Wow this is something new to me too.
                    I have always gotten my caviar despite using BTC service.
                    Agreed same with me too. Always got the caviar. Sounds really bad

Comment

I'm relieved that it's an error rather than a policy change! Also, that's an appalling initial response attempting to deflect the issue. I love the Bak Kut Teh and hazelnut veal; they're my go-tos on the BTC menu and more often than not I BTC so that I know my main course will at least be edible, but enjoy starting the meal with caviar even more.

That said I believe there are instances when a BTC order will eliminate the offering of caviar (and indeed most other items on the regular menu). I remember BTC'ing a Japanese box meal (it had a Japanese name starting with K...) on a SIN-MEL, which turned out to be way more comprehensive than your standard main course - it was a complete meal in itself with starters and sweets, and as I was the only passenger in First they didn't load any other foods on to the plane except the bread plate. There was literally nothing else, not even cheese. It was disappointing as I had planned on some caviar for brunch and always end the meal with cheese and port. I understand why they wouldn't bother loading any other items in that scenario but had I known I'd have ordered a more 'standard' BTC meal. At least they still had the regular drinks list and I wasn't stuck with sake... #thankgodforsmallmercies

Since then I've avoided any BTC options that look like they're anything more than a regular main course!
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 1 July 2018, 05:18 PM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure never to use BTC when I fly First!

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                          Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure never to use BTC when I fly First!
                          Can you read this thread again? The OP clarifies in #9 that the answer from SQ was an error and there is caviar loaded for every single passenger with or without BTC?

People creating headlines far from the trutht and then other people start spinning the rumour mill. Sad for someone who has been around for some time...

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                            Can you read this thread again? The OP clarifies in #9 that the answer from SQ was an error and there is caviar loaded for every single passenger with or without BTC?

People creating headlines far from the trutht and then other people start spinning the rumour mill. Sad for someone who has been around for some time...
                            I did read every post in this thread before mine... No, I'm not one of those forum users who read the first post and fire away.

It was my reading of SQ's response that made me decide I won't use BTC in First Class...
                            SQ's customer service initially told him that he won't get caviar if he used BTC and it took several email exchanges before they admitted to it being a "mistake".

I qualify this is my own analysis of the information provided, but it seems to me that this is yet another cost-cutting effort by SQ by the fact that they first gave an elaborate explanation that one wouldn't get caviar if he/she used BTC, and then try to cover it when cornered by saying it was all an error.
                            They're likely to do that again- loading less caviar on a flight if a passenger BTC-ed, hoping that passenger wouldn't ask for caviar if he/she wasn't offered any.

I only have one flight in F this year so I'm not taking my chances!

Comment

Feedback

It is true that the exchanges relied heavily on me to correct matters of fact in multiple ways before I was validated and my gripe acknowledged (I started one response with "I do not accept your explanation").
                              This was taken to the extent of being asked to cancel my BREAKFAST Japanese meal on this (return) fight so that I could be served caviar for lunch!
                              It still remains a mystery as to why this solitary BTC breakfast option on this flight has disappeared since.
                              However, it is also true that all airlines are cutting catering/wine costs (including pour quantity in some cases).
                              As always, one must balance a sense of entitlement with assertiveness.
                              I also get that not everyone places an emphasis on the food and wine on board (as I do).

Comment

Working...
                              X