SQTalk

SQTalk (http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Destinations Chit-Chat (http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Minimising the Stress: BKK Taxis (http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9971)

phaleesy 19th August 2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobster (Post 128460)
But I have found taxis around town a real pain to use the meter. The last trip I did I had to argue the whole journey with the guy, even as he drove off he was complaining.

I think you are right. I have never had problems getting back to the airport on the normal taxis. Meter would be turned on, we would always have checked the fare with the hotel before leaving. The only problem was the traffic.

As for taxis around town... I've made quick exits from taxis when they refuse to turn on the meter. I can't be bothered to argue. If they choose to ignore my repeated requests to use the meter, I'd just jump out after a few metres and start walking towards another taxi.

sqdazz 19th August 2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phaleesy (Post 128464)
As for taxis around town... I've made quick exits from taxis when they refuse to turn on the meter. I can't be bothered to argue. If they choose to ignore my repeated requests to use the meter, I'd just jump out after a few metres and start walking towards another taxi.

Good move.

mhadian 19th August 2010 10:53 AM

I'm against using Taxi for going around in city, mo-sai is the way, well sometimes it can be more expensive that taxi ride but you get to your destination faster. Combination of skytrain/subway/mo-sai is the way getting around BKK.

disclaimer: i don't take any responsibility if you end up somewhere in the BKK hospital after usinng mo-sai

sqdazz 19th August 2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhadian (Post 128468)
I'm against using Taxi for going around in city, mo-sai is the way, well sometimes it can be more expensive that taxi ride but you get to your destination faster. Combination of skytrain/subway/mo-sai is the way getting around BKK.

disclaimer: i don't take any responsibility if you end up somewhere in the BKK hospital after usinng mo-sai

Hahaha - I have been known to use those on the odd occasion. You are right, thats the REAL way to get around!

Gunnar Smithsen 19th August 2010 03:27 PM

Perhaps we can do a mini-amazing race BKK...

Utilising seatbeltless taxis, tuk tuks, 'Song-Taew' or 'Songthaew' (or however they're spelt :P) & Hotel Limos :D

:D

Pinkfloyd 19th August 2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Smithsen (Post 128495)
Perhaps we can do a mini-amazing race BKK...

Utilising seatbeltless taxis, tuk tuks, 'Song-Taew' or 'Songthaew' (or however they're spelt :P) & Hotel Limos :D

:D

And good ole fashion walking! :tongue:

jjpb3 19th August 2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 128510)
And good ole fashion walking! :tongue:

As long as it's not July in Bangkok. What miserable humidity!* Singapore felt like a refreshing seaside resort after that.

Go on, Kyo, organize the first SQT BKK (a.k.a. Pansy) Do. :smile: :occasion14:

*And thus I confirm my membership in the Pansy Club. :tongue:

Pinkfloyd 20th August 2010 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjpb3 (Post 128515)
As long as it's not July in Bangkok. What miserable humidity!* Singapore felt like a refreshing seaside resort after that.

Go on, Kyo, organize the first SQT BKK (a.k.a. Pansy) Do. :smile: :occasion14:

*And thus I confirm my membership in the Pansy Club. :tongue:

I know it may sound weird, but after some time in Norway I miss the old humidity! :biggrin: Granted I will be swearing my head off just after a day or two in it... :tongue3:

Yeah, let's have a BKK DO!

Gunnar Smithsen 20th August 2010 04:43 PM

Does that mean you'll be nominating forthe 'pounding the pavement' option for the SQT Amazing Race BKK DO Pinkfloyd :P

fumitani 20th August 2010 04:59 PM

Can I try to race you people in a car...I'll use all the short cuts to get there faster :D

MAN Flyer 20th August 2010 05:01 PM

Pansy ?!. :biggrin:

I wonder what we should therefore call those who are that tight they won't pay less than 20 dollars to avoid a 140kph seatbelt free smelly old deathtrap driven by a psychopath, but think nothing of flying off to other countries and continents on a mileage run or pay over the top for an out of the way hotel just to keep a certain coloured plastic card......

Silly ?, stupid ?, bizarre ?, f*ckwit ? ( :tongue3: :biggrin: ) or maybe Death-Defying-Scrooge's ...... :wink: :biggrin:

KeithMEL 20th August 2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer (Post 128566)

I wonder what we should therefore call those who are that tight they won't pay less than 20 dollars to avoid a 140kph seatbelt free smelly old deathtrap driven by a psychopath, but think nothing of flying off to other countries and continents on a mileage run or pay over the top for an out of the way hotel just to keep a certain coloured plastic card......

:biggrin::thumbsup:

HUGE AL 20th August 2010 05:22 PM

Hahahahahaha :biggrin:

SQflyergirl 20th August 2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer (Post 128566)

Silly ?, stupid ?, bizarre ?, f*ckwit ? ( :tongue3: :biggrin: ) or maybe Death-Defying-Scrooge's ...... :wink: :biggrin:

Classique! :p post of the year :D

Pinkfloyd 20th August 2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Smithsen (Post 128561)
Does that mean you'll be nominating forthe 'pounding the pavement' option for the SQT Amazing Race BKK DO Pinkfloyd :P

Depends on if there will be a SYT between thyself and said pavement... :redface: :tongue3:

By the way Herr Smithsen, er du norsk, svensk eller dansk? / är du norska, svenska eller danska?