Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney Hotels

Hi there
    I'm staying in Sydney for 4 nights in August.
    I'm thinking Sheraton in Park or Four Season/Club Rooms??
    Any good advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rolf

Originally posted by SQ1 View Post
    Hi there
    I'm staying in Sydney for 4 nights in August.
    I'm thinking Sheraton in Park or Four Season/Club Rooms??
    Any good advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rolf
    I've stayed at the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney on many occasions. It is a great place to stay, in terms of location in the city.

The rooms are fairly spacious, and done up in dark wood tones. I particularly like the corner rooms.

Location is excellent, right in the middle of the city / shopping, and not far from Darling Harbour.

Breakfast spread is good. Lunch/dinner buffet offerings are fine but not as good as the Hilton Sydney close by, which has a fantastic restaurant "Glass Brasserie" by Luke Mangan, which I would highly recommend for breakfast/lunch/dinner, even if you are staying at the Sheraton.

The gym in the hotel is fine. The Sheraton Club lounge is smallish, but a very pleasant place to be for breakfast (although it can be quite bright in the mornings, as the windows let in a lot of sun).

Not particularly good views from this hotel, as it is not a very tall hotel. Also, the nearby skyscrapers are quite close, so many of the rooms have wooden blinds that are best kept shut otherwise the rooms are visible from the office blocks nearby. Some of the rooms have a Park view, but I did not find anything remarkable about the views of the park.

Unless they have renovated recently, the hotel decor overall has a "traditional" feel, which is fine, but will not win any awards in the style department. Again, by comparison I prefer the sleek, ultra modern decor in the rooms and public areas of the Hilton, but the Hilton rooms are smaller.

I have not stayed at the Four Seasons, but location-wise it is close to The Rocks and the Opera House, which is good for sightseeing. I believe some of the rooms have fantastic harbour views as well.

The Four Seasons is not as close to the shopping as the Sheraton, but Sydney is a great walking city and everything is fairly close by in the city.

I would seek feedback from others who have stayed at the Four Seasons though, because anecdotally, I have heard from friends/colleagues that apart from location, this hotel is not at the same level of luxury as Four Seasons hotels elsewhere.

Hotel program aside, my preference in Sydney would be the Hilton, on account of the location, the ultra modern decor and Luke Mangan's superb restaurant. And for readers of this forum, the other bonus is the fact that the crew of a certain leading airline stay here as well, and can often be seen mingling in the lobby...
    Last edited by yflyer; 27 June 2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I prefer the IC, love their club lounge... great views also

Comment

I've stayed at the SOTP 12-15 times over the last few years and used to really like it but it's gone distinctly down hill in the last 18 months or so and after a number of poor experience on the bounce I have stopped staying there. I don't know if a new GM has arrived but the staff attitude has really dropped off.

yflyer's description of the SOTP is pretty much bang on, although I would disagree about the views not being good. With the odd exception, usually when I booked a day or so before arrival, I regularly got rooms with nice views out over Hyde Park and the Harbour, if you were high enough. And if you could get one of the small outdoor patios in the Club Lounge in the summer time the view from there was fabulous. It's a shame the last few stays were so poor, although having done a number of stays at the Westin recently I don't find that much better. It's just that it was next door to my sisters office so handy when I was doing a flying visit. My favourite Starwood property in Sydney is the Four Points to be honest, I love the top floor outdoor balconies.

I've stayed at the Hilton a few times and wasn't a fan of there either. I also did half a dozen stays at the IC as an IC RA and didn't rate that, although I agree the lounge is nice. I don't know what it is with me and Sydney Hotels, I think I've been spoiled by all my stays at the Park Hyatt, which is the best hotel in Sydney imho.
        Last edited by MAN Flyer; 27 June 2014, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          I've stayed at the SOTP 12-15 times over the last few years and used to really like it but it's gone distinctly down hill in the last 18 months or so and after a number of poor experience on the bounce I have stopped staying there. I don't know if a new GM has arrived but the staff attitude has really dropped off.

yflyer's description of the SOTP is pretty much bang on, although I would disagree about the views not being good. With the odd exception, usually when I booked a day or so before arrival, I regularly got rooms with nice views out over Hyde Park and the Harbour, if you were high enough. And if you could get one of the small outdoor patios in the Club Lounge in the summer time the view from there was fabulous. It's a shame the last few stays were so poor, although having done a number of stays at the Westin recently I don't find that much better. It's just that it was next door to my sisters office so handy when I was doing a flying visit. My favourite Starwood property in Sydney is the Four Points to be honest, I love the top floor outdoor balconies.

I've stayed at the Hilton a few times and wasn't a fan of there either. I also did half a dozen stays at the IC as an IC RA and didn't rate that, although I agree the lounge is nice. I don't know what it is with me and Sydney Hotels, I think I've been spoiled by all my stays at the Park Hyatt, which is the best hotel in Sydney imho.
          Point taken about the view from the park-facing rooms at the Sheraton. The rooms I stayed in were mostly facing the city, not the park, so most of the time all I had was the view of other office buildings in central Sydney. Nice to know the rooms on the higher floors have good views.

I quite like the Four Points Sheraton Sydney too!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            I prefer the IC, love their club lounge... great views also
            I haven't stayed at the IC for many years, but I have fond memories of staying there as well. Great views of the Opera House and harbour from the upper floors.

Comment

Check out the QT Sydney, my current fave in Sydney.

Fantastically quirky and self-consciously hip.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks Guys for all your replies, very much appreciated.

Always easier to make up your mind with more experience from other members!!

Cheers
                Rolf

Comment

Let us know what you go for

Comment

I stayed in the 4P again a few weeks ago and while I was please to get a large suite with full balcony I would avoid any lower floor rooms facing Darling Harbour until the work on the major roads underneath is complete. SMS of the work is only carried out midnight to 3am.

Comment

I've been fond of the Observatory....and its neighborhood has certainly improved since my first visit in 2000.

I don't like the old CBD area of the Hilton, where I also stayed back in 2000.

What's the stylish hotel build out on the pier? It's not a convenient location but has always impressed me as an interesting place to stay.

Comment

Are you referring to the Park Hyatt or the Taj Blue Sydney?

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
                          II don't like the old CBD area of the Hilton, where I also stayed back in 2000.
                          Neither do I, that's what mainly puts me off the Hilton and Westin and more recently the SOTP, although the crap service and surly staff at the first and last of those doesn't help.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          Are you referring to the Park Hyatt or the Taj Blue Sydney?
                          I had to Google Taj Blue as I had never heard of it, and it turns out it's the ex-W down in Woolloomooloo near the Navy base!. It ceases to be a Taj Hotel at the end of next month, apparently, so the owners really don't seem to know what to do with it.

Comment

Apparently this will happen:
                            Indian Hotels Company, also known as Taj Hotels Group, is leaving the Australian accommodation market with the sale of its Woolloomooloo wharf landmark property, BLUE Hotel, Sydney.

The final transaction of the AUD $32 million sale to Hong-Kong based Ovolo Group is expected to be completed by 31 October 2014, adding the 100 room property to Ovolo’s growing Australian collection after it recently bought out Hotel 1888 in Pyrmont, The Australian reported.

This follows the opening of Ovolo Melbourne in 2012, and the acquisition of Oaks on Lonsdale earlier this year, cementing Ovolo’s aggressive brand expansion strategy in Australia.

Meanwhile, Taj Hotels Group, which originally bought the property from W Hotels in 2006 for AUD $36 million, will now direct its focus to the luxury hotel market in the United Araba Emirates and China, where it currently has four projects under way.

Comment

Shame it's not becoming a W again as I might have tried it.

I have to say I am very impressed how the RAN have managed to keep hold of Garden Island Navy Base in that location. There is all that space in Australia, the value of land the base is on is huge and there is no imminent threat from another state anywhere nearby. Yet they have the base in one of the most sought after harbours in the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X