X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQTalkers in the shipping / maritime industry

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
    They may well be, I don't really know.

Yes, I have been continuously for the last couple of years. Been traveling Y so far, but as of this year I made the switch to flying C (always ICN-SIN-ATH rtn, as I live and work in South Korea).

Fare is substantially more expensive than other carriers, but that is SQ.

"Your vision will become clear when you look into your heart." - Carl Jung
    A Naval Architect working for Greek owners building ships in Korea??
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
    A Naval Architect working for the leading Classification Society that had a record of more than 200 new shipbuilding contracts in Korea for 2007.

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
    SQ's C fares ATH-SIN are far lower than FRA-SIN, LHR-SIN, CDG-SIN, AMS-SIN, ZRH-SIN, etc.
    True indeed. Thought you were talking wrt the competion, not wrt other SQ EU routes pricing.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. " - Leonardo da Vinci
    Last edited by N_Architect; 25 March 2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

A Naval Architect working for the leading Classification Society that had a record of more than 200 new shipbuilding contracts in Korea for 2007.

True indeed. Thought you were talking wrt the competion, not wrt other SQ EU routes pricing.

- Leonardo da Vinci
      N_Architect, your career path is similar to mine and I used to worked for a leading classification society. But that was ten years ago until I switched to financing.

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
        N_Architect, your career path is similar to mine and I used to worked for a leading classification society. But that was ten years ago until I switched to financing.
        Exactly what I am going through at the moment with the Executive MBA I am starting. The switch for me is only some twenty months away and I am really looking forward to it...

Thank you for sharing your career experience, LionCity.

"Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly." - Franz Kafka
        Last edited by N_Architect; 26 March 2008, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
          N_Architect, your career path is similar to mine and I used to worked for a leading classification society.
          LR, ABS, BV, DNV or GL ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Well, and as we prefer to keep a low public profile, I think it is best if I refrain from answering at the moment. But based on what I mentioned in one of my previous replies, I would imagine it's not hard to guess...

You're in the offshore business, MAN Flyer, right?
            Last edited by N_Architect; 26 March 2008, 09:07 AM.

Comment

You're in the offshore business, MAN Flyer, right?
              We do a little in the offshore but a fair chunk of our business is 'Marine', hence I know the classification societies.

Comment

We do a little in the offshore but a fair chunk of our business is 'Marine', hence I know the classification societies.
                MAN Flyer/N_Arch, I left classification society work ten years ago because I grew tired of the work and dealing with difficult and low quality shipyard. Like many prostitutes, I can't choose my clients. Constantly having to be an arbitrator with both the shipyard and the owner. Went back to school and equipped with a finance degree. Used to think that class work is well respected...that was naive, I found that as a surveyor, I was treated more as someone to sign a piece of paper to sail the boat.

I gave that up and was involved in ship financing, M&As, Investment structuring and consultancy to start shipping companies. More interesting stuff and can be creative to make things work. I haven't given up on technical stuff and still do some consultancy in offshore work like supply vessel layout, pipe layers and accommodation barges both design review and field inspection to keep myself in tune with the shipbuilding market.

Manflyer, now I know why you go to Vietnam on a regular basis.

Comment

GTi prefereably!

Definitely need ABS. A/C, Sunroof, metallic paint - all necessary too

Don't know about LR, BV, DNV and GL though. Are they expensive options?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    GTi prefereably!

Definitely need ABS. A/C, Sunroof, metallic paint - all necessary too

Don't know about LR, BV, DNV and GL though. Are they expensive options?
                    These are acronyms for classification societies. These are generally "non-profit" organizations that set maritime standards known as "rules". It covers generally the safety and performance of the technical aspects of shipping. At the same time it represent government (provided permission being given and these organizations have global reach) to carry out surveys to ensure compliance with International Maritime Regulations including safety, pollution and anti-terrorism measures. Generally, vessels are inspected throughout its construction and once annually after delivery.

LR - Lloyd Registers (UK)
                    ABS -American Bureau of Shipping
                    DNV - Det Norske Veritas
                    etc...

Hope the above helps.

Comment

Hmm, what's a "classification society"?

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                        Hmm, what's a "classification society"?
                        Classification Societies were originally established in the 18th (Lloyd's Register, U.K., 1760) & 19th century (Bureau Veritas, Belgium, 1828 and Det Norske Veritas, Norway, 1864, to name a few) as shipowners needed insurance to reduce their own risk and insurers needed someone to establish standards for the ships they were to insure and to verify that these standards were met.

Nowadays these Societies are global providers of maritime classification, industry certification and assessment, software development and risk management consulting services.

A typical example for the aerospace/aviation industry is Boeing's recent tender with six registrars/certification bodies for a three-year program that will assess 26 of Boeing's major production facilities in order to certify the company to the ISO 14001:2004 standard, a standard which requires compliance to strict environmental rules and regulations.
                        Last edited by N_Architect; 28 March 2008, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                          U probably is involved with us..... we just delivered the largest car carrier in the world.... this would be enough hint as to who I work for....
                          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I worked out you what your handle meant when you mentioned travelling between Athens and Busan in your trip report but I thought you worked for a construction supervision team or for one of the yards. I didn't realise you actually work for class!

DNV - Det Norske Veritas
                            Or, being very pedantic, Det norske Veritas - DnV

There are a number of SQTalkers involved in or connected with the shipping industry then! I'm a ship finance lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                              I worked out you what your handle meant when you mentioned travelling between Athens and Busan in your trip report but I thought you worked for a construction supervision team or for one of the yards. I didn't realise you actually work for class!
                              I first came to South Korea as site manager for a construction supervision team, representing a Greek shipowner. Then I switched to class. I have held a wide range of positions in the past, ranging from freelance naval architect and marine technical consultant to independent non-prejudiced marine surveyor handling claims and naval architect for repairs, conversions and newbuildings, before coming to Asia to do newbuildings.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                              There are a number of SQTalkers involved in or connected with the shipping industry then! I'm a ship finance lawyer.
                              Glad to hear. Taking the opportunity, few pics dedicated to all SQTalkers, but especially to those related (in one way or another) to our industry...

A very small view of the internals of a large marine diesel engine. South Korea, 2007.

Testing ('sea-trials') in the open sea prior to delivering the final product to the buyer. Photo taken in the sea passage between South Korea and Japan, during trials of a brand new medium-size oil tanker, early 2007.

Unexpected events always happen. Here, the vessel was stuck during launching(!). South Korea, 2006.

And one classic from the archives. Large containership headed directly to and naturally hit a (fairly large) Mediterranean island, then had to be towed for repairs. Greece, 2002.

If you live long enough, you'll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you'll be a better person. It's how you handle adversity, not how it affects you. The main thing is never quit, never quit, never quit.” - Bill Clinton
                              Last edited by N_Architect; 27 June 2008, 02:54 PM. Reason: Added pictures & descriptions

Comment

Working...
                              X