Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ short of space in T3 at peak periods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ short of space in T3 at peak periods?

That was the reason given for our SQ52 to MAN departing from gate C20 yesterday. I am familiar with the use of Flexi Gates at the T3/T1 and T2/T1 'border', but I have never been given a proper T1 gate for a T3 departure. SQ52 doesn't leave until after 2am either so they must be struggling. I noticed the BNE fight went from a T1 gate as well.

The last two transfers I made at Changi I noticed C1 being used by an SQ flight, including arriving into it myself from DUS. As we pulled in, C20 also had an SQ plane in it. I get the impression C1 is almost considered to be part of T3 now.

Comment

It’s pretty much a daily occurrence. Quite common for them to occupy gates C1, C20 and C22. On rare occasions, even C23 for the T3/T1 side.

For T2/T1 side, they use D40, D41 and even up to D42 (mainly MI).

It also depends on the corresponding arrival flight, it may have arrived at a time when other gates are occupied hence they use these “flexi gates”, instead of having to tow the aircraft over again to the other gates as they gradually become available.
      Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

I heard this also happens during the morning hours. For example, SQ12 and maybe a few other flights like SQ828, SQ288, SQ211 or at least any flight departing from 7AM to 11AM will use those gates. Evening flights, not so much the case.

Comment

It happens to the late evening flights as well. Flexi gates are still not as bad as remote bay departures, which also gets assigned occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
            It happens to the late evening flights as well. Flexi gates are still not as bad as remote bay departures, which also gets assigned occasionally.
            Yes, remote bay assignment to a wide-body is just hell, although QR seemed to be famous for it at one stage before DOH was appropriately upgraded. FRA is pretty notorious for it if you fly on a single-aisle.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              FRA is pretty notorious for it if you fly on a single-aisle.
              Recently boarded a twin-aisle 787-10 from a remote stand in FRA. That airport needs more gates too, although from an enthusiast's point of view, I don't mind a "bus tour" passing various aircraft types on the way to/from the aircraft!

Comment

I am on SQ52 again tonight (well, 02:25...) so will be interesting to see where we go from this time. Up until our C20 a few weeks ago SQ52 tended to be quite close in as it departs after the heavy evening bank. In fact I am regularly the only one in the FCL lounge when I leave to board.

When it was SQ328 via MUC it was nearly always B8, 9 or 10, which is almost T1 anyway

I have never had a remote bay arrival or departure at Changi, thankfully. What gates are used for those then ?

Yes, remote bay assignment to a wide-body is just hell, although QR seemed to be famous for it at one stage before DOH was appropriately upgraded. FRA is pretty notorious for it if you fly on a single-aisle.
                I am afraid DOH is still bad for remote gates. I would estimate 50% of my inbound flights from MAN are remote gates, certainly the two in the last couple of months have been. LH flight to MAN from FRA suffer from this as well.

Comment

DOH definitely has not been sufficiently upgraded. Have had Asia, Africa and even GRU flights out of remote gates. But I like the consistent application of the Business Class bus.

Comment

Well noted on QR in DOH I was recently on QR from SIN to MCT and all my flights out of DOH were on remote bays 2 A350-1000 and 1 A320. They have so many aero bridges but still keep getting remote bays on both arrival and departures

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                      Well noted on QR in DOH I was recently on QR from SIN to MCT and all my flights out of DOH were on remote bays 2 A350-1000 and 1 A320. They have so many aero bridges but still keep getting remote bays on both arrival and departures
                      Gosh, I’m heading to JFK via DOH from SIN this coming week. Fingers crossed on the aerobridge in DOH. Bussing to and from the aircraft is just a terrible waste of time and energy from pax perspective.

Comment

In 25 years I had once a departure off a remote bay in SIN, it was on a turboprop flight with Bangkok Airways in the early 2000 to USM.
                        And the first time I arrived on SQ25 it was parked on a remote bay as well, but that was back in 94.

Comment

Interestingly for the past few months, a few number of flights by Silkair have their pax bussed from T2 to T4 where their planes are parked. Every night quite a number of Silkair and a few Scoot planes are parked at T4.

Comment

Might be something to do with keeping the widebody stands at T2 open.

How many MARS stands are there at T2, anyway?
                            an infrastructure geek

Comment

Through my years of travelling through Changi, I encountered several times we were bussed to or from the remote stands:
                              1. On Firefly turboprop flights to Subang. Gates assigned are usually those along the long sides of T2.
                              2. On an Oman Air early morning flight to Kuala Lumpur. Gate assigned was one of the common gates A1-8 at T3. A6-A8 being the remote gates which you need to descend to after security screening. The aircraft was parked at the sides of T1.
                              3. On a Malindo Air evening flight from KL. The aircraft was parked at the aprons of T2 near the Jetquay terminal. We were bussed to T3 across the southern taxiway.
                              4. On an Air China morning flight to Beijing. A short ride to the remote stands between T1 and the cargo terminal.

Comment

Working...
                              X