SilkAir and Busan (PUS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilkAir and Busan (PUS)

In light of the relatively recent agreement signed between Singapore and Korea, carriers on both sides were given the authority to launch a limited number of scheduled flights per week between Singapore and Busan Gimhae (PUS).

From the Singapore side, SilkAir was given permission to launch flights to PUS but has since withdrawn its application. It declined to serve the route due to two factors:

1. MI was given the rights to fly SIN-PUS only three times a week. MI requested for a four-times weekly service, but the request was denied. A three-times weekly service means increased crewing costs.

2. Arrival slots at PUS are limited. PUS gave MI a landing slot at noon, which means that the departure ex-SIN would be around 6AM, but MI felt that it was unacceptable because check-in at SIN would be at 4AM. MI desired to have an overnight flight departing from SIN, arriving at PUS in the morning, but according to the Korean bureau in-charge, slots were unattainable.

I could not find articles in English but there were articles in Korean that can be easily translated by Google Translate.

http://news20.busan.com/controller/n...20181118000200

http://news.kbs.co.kr/news/view.do?ncd=4077440

In related news, Air Busan would be launching 14 "irregular" (non-scheduled) flights between Busan and Singapore with A321-200 aircraft (195 seats) in January 2019.

http://www.kookje.co.kr/news2011/asp...15.22002006297

Flights would be twice weekly on Tuesdays and Fridays, departing at 04:10PM from Busan Gimhae airport and arriving at 09:30PM in Singapore. The plane then departs SIN at 10:40PM and arrives at PUS at 06:20AM. It is quite interesting that slots for conducive arrival/departure times at PUS were made available for Air Busan.

That's a shame. I don't think any other Singapore-based carrier has the interest or equipment to launch the route. I understand Air Busan (a subsidiary of Asiana) intends to fly PUS-SIN on a scheduled basis in late 2019 once they receive their A321neo/LR.

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
      That's a shame. I don't think any other Singapore-based carrier has the interest or equipment to launch the route. I understand Air Busan (a subsidiary of Asiana) intends to fly PUS-SIN on a scheduled basis in late 2019 once they receive their A321neo/LR.
      Scoot would probably have the equipments: B788 or A320neo. Question is would it make economic sense with early morning departure out of Singapore since it limits connection (not many in the first place I guess)?

Would this route be available for fifth freedom via say Taipei? If so, I think Scoot would be very ideal candidate for this. Have like 2/3 am departure out of Changi to Taipei (later than existing 00:55 flight to Taipei which continues to Narita).

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post
        Would this route be available for fifth freedom via say Taipei? If so, I think Scoot would be very ideal candidate for this. Have like 2/3 am departure out of Changi to Taipei (later than existing 00:55 flight to Taipei which continues to Narita).
        Why would you do that rather than take existing flights through BKK on TG, SGN on VN or HKG on CX/KA? All three alliance have a connection so the only thing we miss from SIN now is a direct connection.

Personally, I always go through BKK because it gives me the longer second stint and at least a half chance to catch a nap......and miles obviously. The TG flight isn't hugely expensive and i doubt Scoot with a stop in Taipei would be significantly competitive.

A Scoot 787 direct to BUS would be ideal but I don't know how busy it would get - I wouldn't fancy an A320 that far. The flights to/from Bangkok & HCM are all full of Koreans taking golf bags and/or spending a couple of nights enjoying themselves.....which SG can't really match.

Comment

Apologies for the correction. According to RoutesOnline, the scheduled charter service operates twice a week with Airbus A321 aircraft from 04JAN19 to 30JAN19, with the following schedule.

BX7615 PUS1815 – 2315SIN 321 25
          BX7625 SIN0015 – 0720PUS 321 36

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...route-20181214

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
            Why would you do that rather than take existing flights through BKK on TG, SGN on VN or HKG on CX/KA? All three alliance have a connection so the only thing we miss from SIN now is a direct connection.

Personally, I always go through BKK because it gives me the longer second stint and at least a half chance to catch a nap......and miles obviously. The TG flight isn't hugely expensive and i doubt Scoot with a stop in Taipei would be significantly competitive.

A Scoot 787 direct to BUS would be ideal but I don't know how busy it would get - I wouldn't fancy an A320 that far. The flights to/from Bangkok & HCM are all full of Koreans taking golf bags and/or spending a couple of nights enjoying themselves.....which SG can't really match.
            The fifth freedom route obviously is to capitalise on greater demand between Taipei TPE and Busan PUS while at the same time providing direct service between SIN and PUS.

But as you said, a 1-stop service will not be competitive. So will better see how Air Busan performs before we see further interest from Singapore carriers.

Originally posted by Airbus SAS A340-500 View Post
            Apologies for the correction. According to RoutesOnline, the scheduled charter service operates twice a week with Airbus A321 aircraft from 04JAN19 to 30JAN19, with the following schedule.

BX7615 PUS1815 – 2315SIN 321 25
            BX7625 SIN0015 – 0720PUS 321 36

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rs-in-jan-2019
            I wonder if the FAs will have long stay over in SG or they would deadhead FAs on both sectors?

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post
              The fifth freedom route obviously is to capitalise on greater demand between Taipei TPE and Busan PUS while at the same time providing direct service between SIN and PUS.

But as you said, a 1-stop service will not be competitive. So will better see how Air Busan performs before we see further interest from Singapore carriers.

I wonder if the FAs will have long stay over in SG or they would deadhead FAs on both sectors?

According to Korean news agencies, Eastar Jet (이스타 항공) will also be flying 14 "irregular" flights between 16th January and 7th February, 2019.

http://news.kmib.co.kr/article/view....&code=61122019
              https://news.joins.com/article/23221...news%7Ceconomy

Eastar Jet will be flying their Boeing 737MAX8 aircraft on this route. Tickets will be available through their website.

http://www.businesspost.co.kr/BP?com...iew&num=106980

Due to the long distance between Singapore and Busan, Air Busan is expected to cap the max passenger load to 130 passengers on their A321 aircraft. This means revenue and profit opportunities may be limited for Air Busan.

Various Korean carriers are vying for the PUS-SIN route authority from the relevant Korean bureau in-charge for dispensing route authorities. Profits can be expected for the airline that is awarded this route authority.

Comment

YonHap are reporting today that AirBusan's flights are full through to final flight on 29/01/19, indicating demand.

Flying an A321-200 with full Y.

Comment

From SilkAir Facebook post, it seems it is going to launch direct flight to Busan soon.

SilkAir Busan teaser
                  Last edited by davidfusq; 18 February 2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

From 1/May

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...2752?cid=FBcna

Comment

So Silkair eventually managed to snag 4-time weekly service with better timings.

But can't imagine myself in a A320 for 6 hours.

Comment

SilkAir To Launch Flights Between Singapore And Busan

18 February 2019 - SilkAir, the regional wing of Singapore Airlines, will launch non-stop flights between Singapore and Busan, South Korea’s second-largest city, this year. Commencing from 1 May 2019, SilkAir will operate four weekly flights to Busan1.

The launch of Busan flights will mark a milestone for SilkAir as it adds its first South Korean city to its network and demonstrates its commitment to bringing customers new and exciting destinations in the Asia-Pacific region. Currently, no other airline operates scheduled flights between Singapore and Busan.

The new service will be operated with Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft, which feature both Business and Economy Class cabins. Customers can look forward to a full-service experience, including in-flight meals, wireless in-flight entertainment on SilkAir Studio, complimentary baggage allowance as well as through check-in if they are connecting to or from another SilkAir or Singapore Airlines point via Singapore.

“We are pleased to introduce services to Busan, offering customers in Singapore and around the region yet another vibrant and charming destination to explore in our network,” said SilkAir Chief Executive Mr Foo Chai Woo. “For Koreans travelling from Busan, the new route will also offer greater access and connectivity with the SilkAir and Singapore Airlines network in Asia-Pacific and beyond.”

1Subject to regulatory approvals.

Details of the flight schedules are as follows2 (all times stated are local):
                        Flight Routing Days of Operation Departure Arrival
                        MI 876 Singapore - Busan Monday Singapore 23:15 Busan 07:00+1
                        MI 875 Busan - Singapore Tuesday Busan 08:00 Singapore 14:15
                        MI 876 Singapore - Busan Wednesday, Friday and Saturday Singapore 23:15 Busan 07:00+1
                        MI 875 Busan - Singapore Thursday, Saturday and Sunday Busan 08:30 Singapore 14:15

Located on the southeastern tip of the Korean Peninsula, Busan is a destination famous for its natural coastal scenery and local cultural attractions. A popular vacation getaway for both local Koreans and tourists alike, Busan is hailed as the summer capital of South Korea, boasting beautiful beaches such as Haeundae and Gwangalli.

Visitors to Busan can enjoy year-round activities in the vibrant and bustling coastal city. Travellers looking to immerse themselves in Busan’s local culture can visit Gamcheon Culture Village, a resplendent village of murals and painted houses set on the foothills of a coastal mountain. The colourful village has earned itself the nickname as "the Machu Picchu of Busan".

For seafood lovers, Busan is home to South Korea’s largest seafood market, Jagalchi Market, where travellers can feast on a variety of freshly caught seafood. Additionally, travellers can experience Busan’s specialty foods such as the Ssiat Hotteok, a sweet Korean-style pancake stuffed with seeds, brown sugar, honey and peanuts.

2Subject to regulatory approvals.

Comment

7 hours in a narrowbody.....

Comment

The flight timings seem off/wrong. It would be around 6 hours to 6.5 hours Max (no pun intended) given ICN is 6.5 hours or less.

Comment

Originally posted by ninervictor View Post
                              7 hours in a narrowbody.....
                              This is actually not uncommon, with airlines such as COPA of Panama, or Norwegian Air, regularly having flights lasting 7, 8, or even 9 hours. I believe the current longest narrowbody flight is almost 10 hours long.

Comment

Working...
                              X