Airbus Proposes 11-abreast A380 seating in Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbus Proposes 11-abreast A380 seating in Y

Y flyers beware! Emirates and some other airlines may jump on this!

http://www.newfoxy.com/2016/06/02/ne...ow-in-economy/

The world’s largest passenger jet could get a lot more crowded after Airbus revealed a new seating plan that would squeeze as many as 70 additional travellers on board and create a dreaded middle, middle seat in economy class.

If an airline adopts the arrangement, so-called ‘cattle class’ on the A380 would be realigned with 11 passengers in almost every row in a 3-5-3 configuration, as opposed to the existing 10 abreast layout.

The proposed plan – which could raise $23million (£16million) in additional revenue for airlines – would add 23 seats with a middle seat in the middle section of most economy class rows on the double-decker aircraft, which is used on long-haul flights of up to 17 hours.

In addition to expanding economy, the plan, which was discussed at this week’s ILA Berlin Air Show, would increase the number of passengers travelling in premium economy and business class.

Airlines could add 18 premium economy seats by moving that cabin from the upper deck to the lower deck. Such a move would allow them to add two seats to every row, going from 63 passengers to 81.

Removing sidewall stowage on the top deck would make room for 10 more lie-flat seats in business class.

A new set of stairs at the back of the superjumbo jet would free up room for another 14 seats in economy, while three premium economy seats or five economy seats could be squeezed in by shrinking the crew rest area.

Airbus has pushed its 11-abreast concept before but no airline has signed on.

Did you notice the report is more than 2yrs old??

SQ already put PY on the main deck, and removed Y from upper deck to put more of those lie-flat J seats.

11-across was on the cards from Day One when AB were talking from the beginning about an aircraft that could carry more than 800 passengers. Didn't one airline fit a 100% Y cabin somewhere, India or Middle East?

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
      Did you notice the report is more than 2yrs old??

SQ already put PY on the main deck, and removed Y from upper deck to put more of those lie-flat J seats.

11-across was on the cards from Day One when AB were talking from the beginning about an aircraft that could carry more than 800 passengers. Didn't one airline fit a 100% Y cabin somewhere, India or Middle East?
      There was chatter but no actual action. The most firm idea that I heard of was a plan by UU to create an all Y A380 to fly between CDG and RUN. A bit of dreaming by an airline with a current fleet of 10 and no orders in place. Interestingly though, I did read just recently that they plan to wet lease an ex-SQ A380 from HiFly to try this idea instead, so they haven't given up on their A380 aspirations altogether.

You really have to question how they think operations on the ground would play out though with an all-Y A380. Sure Airbus can build it, but based on my prior experiences with the aiport, I shudder to imagine CDG handling 800+ passengers all boarding or deplaning from one flight, let alone what an airport like RUN would manage. (Maybe run is fantastic, any first-hand experiences? But still, I can't see small airports being up to the task.) Also, if a diversion is required, what does one do with 800 passengers crammed into Y all needing to be fed or accommodated somewhere at short notice? SQ had enough on their hands with their unexpected landing at GYD a few years back.

Comment

Working...
      X