No announcement yet.

The kind of equipment swap you want...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The kind of equipment swap you want...

For the upcoming Queen's Birthday long weekend in NSW, my partner and I booked ScootBiz to surprise my mum in Singapore on her 60th birthday. Great sale fare - $750ish return per person for what's essentially a premium economy seat.

Today I received an email advising that our SYD-SIN segment will be operated by a chartered SQ B777-200. The call centre has confirmed that we'll be sitting in the business class section. #Result!

it appears that we'll get Scoot service delivered by SQ crew on SQ aircraft, and the seats are likely of the recliner variety. But even SQ regional recliners have got to be better than ScootBiz seats.

Even better is the fact that we can now BYO food/drinks which means we can hit duty free for some quaffable wine (not sure the crew will chill up some BYO bubbles?! ) or whisky instead of being stuck with the Chateau Cardboard I saw on the Scoot inflight menu.

The return flight is still on Scoot aircraft, but at least it'll be a 787 which I haven't been on.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 May 2018, 09:48 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    Scoot service delivered by SQ crew on SQ aircraft.
    What a mindbending concept ...Scoot service is fine...but it's not SQ's secret recipe! I think the IFM will probably just tell the cabin crew to treat it like an SQ service, because it will be too strange (for both pax and crew) if the kebaya-clad SQ cabin crew start to dish it out to pax like LCC cabin crew...

The seats are likely of the recliner variety. But even SQ regional recliners have got to be better than ScootBiz seats.
    Let me know if you get the regional J product, or *gasp* Ultimo Blue seats. But even if they are the Ultimo, I think those Ultimo Blue seats are just as comfy as ScootBiz seats, and the nostalgia would be priceless...

Comment

So it's a better seat with no entertainment or food service?

Comment

There will be food. No IFE AFAIK.

But most importantly you also now have the option of bringing onboard your choice of libations rather than be stuck with the nondescript wine they normally dish out on Scoot. Normally you aren't allowed to BYO. Presumably because the BOB retail cart won't be available. Hopefully some good deals at Syd duty free.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 May 2018, 12:08 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

But most importantly you also now have the option of bringing onboard your choice of libations rather than be stuck with the nondescript wine they normally dish out on Scoot.
          Did they explicitly say that BYO wine/liquor was ok onboard? I always thought there was a rule somewhere that said that on flights, only alcoholic beverages served by cabin crew were allowed i.e. you could carry the liquor onboard (i.e sealed duty free), but could not drink your own liquor during the flight. Or are those only US / EU regulations?

Comment

I think it's highly likely you will be in a 777-200ER. If so, that means you would be in 77W Business seats.

Previous SQ charters on Scoot used to be with the old blue/purple cabins, but they are all gone and they have heaps of the SV-series sitting about on the tarmac queuing up for their turn to fly to IST, so just hopefully...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              Did they explicitly say that BYO wine/liquor was ok onboard? I always thought there was a rule somewhere that said that on flights, only alcoholic beverages served by cabin crew were allowed i.e. you could carry the liquor onboard (i.e sealed duty free), but could not drink your own liquor during the flight. Or are those only US / EU regulations?
              No issues bringing duty free alcohol onboard ex-SYD as we're only headed for SIN but I've never opened up duty free purchases inflight.

Notwithstanding that I'm on a normal Scoot service ex-SIN, there are some restrictions imposed by the Australian government on incoming flights which at Changi means any duty free alcohol (or any liquids over 100ml) have to be purchased at least 90 mins (or thereabouts) prior to departure and it has to be delivered to you at the gate in a sealed bag. Pretty handy actually if you can meet the T-90 requirement.

Come to think of it I don't know if there are any legal restrictions on inflight consumption of alcohol brought onboard in Australia as I've never had to do this (normally am more than happy with the inflight selection) - may check just to be 100% sure but I know this is commonly done amongst friends onboard the Royal Brunei flights which don't serve booze.

This is what their email said:
              If you have pre-purchased meals and require halal or vegetarian meals due to dietary and religious requirements, please contact our call centre by 25 May 2018 to confirm your requirements, so that meal orders can be placed for you. Regretfully, we are unable to accommodate other meal requests.

Considering the flight time, you may bring your own food/ snacks to consume on board. If you are bringing liquids, please adhere to the liquids, aerosols and gels (LAGs) requirements You may refer to here for more information on LAGs.

Water will be available throughout the flight, however we regret that alcoholic drinks will not be served.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 May 2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                I think it's highly likely you will be in a 777-200ER. If so, that means you would be in 77W Business seats.

Previous SQ charters on Scoot used to be with the old blue/purple cabins, but they are all gone and they have heaps of the SV-series sitting about on the tarmac queuing up for their turn to fly to IST, so just hopefully...
                That would be a massive win !!

Comment

What the title says!
                  What an experience to have. Please report back KeithMEL!

Comment

Yes..I received the email as well. I'm flying out of Syd on the 8th June. Should be interesting as I was oringally
                    booked in Scoot business.
                    Last edited by Sgt.Sweetchuck; 21 May 2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

It might be worthwhile to call up Scoot or SQ to clarify their policy on consuming BYO liquor/wine on planes.

I don't have an authoritative source, but in some jurisdictions, including FAA rules, it appears that while it is ok to bring your own alcohol onboard (i.e. duty free, or in 100ml containers or less), it does not appear possible to serve yourself this alcohol onboard, i.e. the cabin crew has to serve it to you.

Examples of articles which state this:

https://www.businessinsider.sg/how-t...flight-2018-1/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/5422...hol-on-flight/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/ill...ohol-airplane/

One online source of regulations on this topic says:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retriev...e14.3.121_1575

Would be interesting to see what Scoot and SQ policy is, in this case, short of turning this into a dry flight...

Comment

I plan to ask at check in before diving into the duty free! I think the ground staff would have more definitive info than the call centre staff on regulations around this, and especially given the nature of the charter which is neither a regular Scoot nor SQ service.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 21 May 2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                          including FAA rules
                          This would be outside of the US FAA jurisdiction?

Comment

I am flying SIN - MNL which was scheduled on B773. I got an email last week saying they have to move me out from 18H to 16A.

I then logged in into my account and notice the seating arrangement has changed to 1-2-1. the aircraft has been changed to 77W!!!
                            visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                              I am flying SIN - MNL which was scheduled on B773. I got an email last week saying they have to move me out from 18H to 16A.

I then logged in into my account and notice the seating arrangement has changed to 1-2-1. the aircraft has been changed to 77W!!!

Well SQ really did a surprise. On last minute, they swap that 77W to 772-ER!!!
                              visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                              X