SQ to move to T3 at Jakarta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ to move to T3 at Jakarta

Supposedly by July according to the schedule, although that could slip.

This will give them a golden opportunity to make a decent lounge for what is without doubt a hugely lucrative market for SQ, Whether they will, or will be able to, is another matter.

I quite like the good old existing terminal with its local look and feel. I haven't used T3 yet but from the outside it looks like every other soulless steel clad new terminal that pops up these days.

from what I've heard from travelers passing through CGK T3, it can be quite a distance from check-in to gates and the walk can be substantially long

oh dear, I hope they don't move too soon. I quite like the charm of the current T2 lounge, including the black gluteneous rice + mung bean with coconut milk porridge they serve in there

Comment

That will be a bad move. Unless you like long distance trekking around airports.

Comment

Originally posted by saobangpo View Post
        from what I've heard from travelers passing through CGK T3, it can be quite a distance from check-in to gates and the walk can be substantially long

oh dear, I hope they don't move too soon. I quite like the charm of the current T2 lounge, including the black gluteneous rice + mung bean with coconut milk porridge they serve in there
        About the walking distance, the long distance of walking is on the domestic part of the terminal, from what I heard the int'l part of the terminal, walking distance is almost the same to T2, not sure about the lounge in the new T3 tho, as there are no foreign airlines with their own lounge at CGK, this is a chance for SQ to make one, if local authority allows that, because it seems like the airport operator want to make airlines pay them for every passengers visiting their lounge
        Last edited by maxc_20; 15 April 2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxc_20 View Post
          not sure about the lounge in the new T3 tho, as there are no foreign airlines with their own lounge at CGK, this is a chance for SQ to make one, if local authority allows that, because it seems like the airport operator want to make airlines pay them for every passengers visiting their lounge
          Yep, and that's what will be the case for SQ pax initially as well as they will not have their own lounge like they do now in T2. I am sure they will push for their own lounge (they certainly should with how much the local market is worth to them) but whether they get one is another matter.

I think it's fair to say not many are looking forward to the move.

Comment

T3 is not up to capabilities at this moment - open a year it's still under construction and a bit half @rsed.

I took a GA flight in and out a couple of weeks ago......very thankful for Priority Immigration Clearance on entry. I had waiting, even, 10min at the single APEC queue before security took my handler and I through a counter by hand. Other than that, arrival was find but wouldn't like the immigration queues.

Departure........well!

I don't remember so much of check-in but I do remember heading to security and the whole area of landside restaurants etc. was packed. Should have been my "heads-up" to tell me there was hardly anything on the other side. Security was fine then into the main terminal to find it was half done.

Whilst the whole terminal is ~1-1.5km long it's mostly domestic and actually, the number of gates for international isn't that much. From memory, something like a dozen. There were a few places to eat/drink (coffee shop, Japanese noodle, Burger King, Pizza Hut opening soon, etc.) and a WHSmith at the far end, the only place to buy/get a (can of) beer. There is one temporary lounge that my Priority Pass couldn't get me in despite it under the same management as one out of T2 so i sat at the coffee shop with coffee and pie. From what I could see, looks okay and if this is one being taken over by SQ, at least it has windows to the outside. There are signs to another lounge at the other end of the terminal, but I tried a couple of times and never found it, I suspect it's not there and is being a false wall that may block off a portion of the building.

At the other end of the building there is also a false wall, still, shortening the terminal.

Design wise......a modern box/hall not unlike the legs of HKG that, with so few lights, actually gets quite dark after the sun goes down.

Verdict, I definitely still prefer T2. I've liked it, layout and design, from my first landing there more than 15yrs ago.

Comment

SIA has been dominating gate D1 at T2, so not too far from the lounge.

The design of T3 is a long building, I have experienced to walk a long distance to gate 28 (domestic GA) and it was a fair walk, with limited travelator. I noticed some buggy services running around to carry passenger, they even have mid stop to pick up paxes in between just like a city bus stop. I reckon too many buggies, less thing to see (unlike Changi) hence the walking is quite boring one.

Comment

Another vote for T2 here.
                It is old, but it works (at normal capacity) and the architecture feels unique and Indonesian.
                T3 design feels very ‘me too’ and it can well be twinsies with any airport in China.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                  Another vote for T2 here.
                  It is old, but it works (at normal capacity) and the architecture feels unique and Indonesian.
                  I also love the T2 architecture...the low rise design, with inner gardens, makes it feel very resort like. Over the years they have also expanded the arrival immigration queues to make it less prone to congestion.
                  Last edited by yflyer; 18 April 2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I do not think this is true. I have been passing through CGK T3. The walk is shorter compare to T2 in my opinion.

My last trip was early this month. I notice on International side, there is only 10 gates. So I do not know how they will squeeze all international flights with only 10 gates. Will this mean that it will be more and more planes park on remote and transfer by bus?

There are only 2 lounges in T3 now. Garuda flagship lounge I suppose that occupied the Mezzanine level. And the other lounge infront of Gate 7 which is used by other airlines that use T3 now and bunch of local banks (BNI, Mandiri, etc) and no Priority Pass access.

I am not sure where SQ can construct the new lounge. I am guessing SQ will end up have to share the lounge like Esplanade lounge in T2.

T3 is definitely look brighter due to design, but it also means very hot, as the aircon seems not strong enough to kill the heat that pass through the glass design. I think it is not an ideal design for a tropical climate Jakarta.
                    Last edited by lingua101; 18 April 2018, 03:39 PM.
                    visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by SilverKrisSRG View Post
                      SIA has been dominating gate D1 at T2, so not too far from the lounge.
                      I guess you are lucky. I was flying SQ sometimes ago and they used E3!!!

I asked the staff lounge as this is technically is not at the correct terminal. Her reply this is not an one off affair. She said it is quite frequent for 1805 departure flight using E gates.

I will be flying Garuda again on 1-May. Let me see how "crowded" T3 now. Based on the information I got, MH, TK and Oman should move to T3 in April.
                      Last edited by lingua101; 18 April 2018, 03:43 PM.
                      visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                        I do not think this is true. I have been passing through CGK T3. The walk is shorter compare to T2 in my opinion.
                        define shorter. were you catching a ga flight from the ga lounge?

T3 is definitely look brighter due to design, but it also means very hot, as the aircon seems not strong enough to kill the heat that pass through the glass design. I think it is not an ideal design for a tropical climate Jakarta.
                        precisely. more reason to dislike the prospect of catching an sq flight from there, I suppose

Comment

I will be flying Garuda again on 1-May. Let me see how "crowded" T3 now. Based on the information I got, MH, TK and Oman should move to T3 in April.
                          yes, do share with us how crowded cgk t3 will be by labour day. and if you encounter mh, tk, and wy pax in the ga lounge

Comment

define shorter. were you catching a ga flight from the ga lounge?
                            no status on GA but I did visited the lounge.

As some one mention T3 is wide, but the gate is literally below the immigration.

If you get the gate that the far end, yes the walking is probably more. but this is not worse than walking to the very far end of the gate in T2 (D4?), as T2 design is wide and deep.
                            visit my blog

Comment

I guess you are lucky. I was flying SQ sometimes ago and they used E3!!!

I asked the staff lounge as this is technically is not at the correct terminal. Her reply this is not an one off affair. She said it is quite frequent for 1805 departure flight using E gates.

My recent SQ962 flight which arrives at CGK 1710 was parked at E3. Upon disembarkation, we were ushered across to E4 and goes down the stairs to board a bus to bring us to arrival in Terminal 2D. What a long journey.... I don’t understand why they couldn’t just let us arrive at terminal 2E and collect the luggage from any free 2E belt instead of the first D1 belt that SQ always uses.

The same plane should depart back to SIN at 1805 and hence the same E3 gate that lingua uses. Then again, I don’t understand why the airport didn’t assign a D gate for the aircraft when I saw there are some D gates weren’t occupied. Of course as there are three SIN-CGK SQ flights in the span of 3 hours departing SIN between 1515 and 1720, thus gate D1 couldn’t be used for the middle of these 3 flights.

Comment

Working...
                              X