Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEL Airport Guide discussion thread

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    Transport to Town tips – what’s the best way?
    Taxi - taxi ranks are plentiful, and taxis are freely available. However if you arrive after 9am, you might need to walk over to the Qantas domestic terminal to queue up for a taxi as the ranks in front of the International terminal will be un-used.

Just to add: Typical fares to CBD will run about 40+ AUD, to the southeastern suburbs about 75+, to the eastern suburbs around 65+, and includes Citylink charges.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    Just to add: Typical fares to CBD will run about 40+ AUD, to the southeastern suburbs about 75+, to the eastern suburbs around 65+, and includes Citylink charges.
    Added. Cheers.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Updated with info about newly imposed liquid restrictions.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

spotting guide:

expect long periods of boredom-go for a beer instead at the pub!

Comment

Updated with details of the new Qantas F lounge and boeingboy787's spotting tip.

Comment

Modified security section based on recent experiences and confirmation from fellow travellers. New info in italics. :

Security – Laptops out? Shoes off? Tips? Any No-Liquid restrictions?
            Laptops must be taken out. Jackets and shoes can be left on, unless you repeatedly trigger the metal detector. You might also be randomly selected for an explosives' detection test.

Restrictions on liquids, aerosols and gels that can be taken through the security screening point exist for international departures.

You might be selected for a random bomb check post-security. The security staff seem to only select travellers who establish eye contact with them.....

Comment

What does a "bomb check" involve ? Perhaps a firm body search as practised in FRA ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                What does a "bomb check" involve ? Perhaps a firm body search as practised in FRA ?
                Just some swabs here and there.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 August 2007, 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Time to check out http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/p...irport_map.asp as you've made mistakes on T1 & T3.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetsetter View Post
                    Time to check out http://www.melbourneairport.com.au/p...irport_map.asp as you've made mistakes on T1 & T3.
                    Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not used to referring to the terminals by numbers as it wasn't that long ago (late 2005-early 2006) that the terminals were referred to by names ('Virgin/REX', 'International' or 'Qantas domestic').

In any case, not all taxi drivers are clued up as to the Terminal numbering, so for best results simply mention the airline you're travelling with and/or domestic/international.
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 August 2007, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Id have to agree with the "Boring spotting" remark in the guide

Been to MEL airport to spot a few times, if you miss the morning rush, then all you get is a constant stream of Virgin Blue 737 and Qantas 767

Comment

true about the morning rush, though I get excited when I can pick GE engines from Rolls-Royce's, so Melbourne spotting is alright for me

Comment

Whats the cheapest way to get to the CBD?Lets say i just arrived with only $10 dollars in my pocket

Comment

Originally posted by dengilo View Post
                            Whats the cheapest way to get to the CBD?Lets say i just arrived with only $10 dollars in my pocket

You're not getting in a taxi that's for sure. $10 bucks will only take you to the Mitcham road junction probably.

Even the skybus is $16 one way. You'd need to enlist the help of a well wisher or friend. If not - it's a walk down the tulla freeway, off near flemington road, then you're not far from Elizabeth Street in the city.

Comment

Skybus is the cheapest/most reasonable option for you

Comment

Working...
                              X