• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA passengers can soon make mobile phone calls while in-flight

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...085234/1/.html

SIA passengers can soon make mobile phone calls while in-flight
    By Mustafa Shafawi | Posted: 05 October 2010 1633 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

SINGAPORE: Singapore Airlines (SIA) passengers will soon be able to make calls on their mobile phones while still in the air.

They will also be able to send and receive email and SMS easily on their smartphones and Blackberry devices.

Making that possible is SIA's multi-million-dollar tie-up with OnAir.

The company has roaming agreements with about 200 mobile network operators globally including the three main operators in Singapore.

SIA plans to roll out the services from as early as the first half of next year, and will be the first major airline in Asia to offer this.

Customers who use the mobile telephony services will see their usage reflected in the monthly bills from their home mobile phone operator where international roaming rates apply.

For Internet access, customers can sign up for an access package upon logging in to the system.

Details of the charges will be announced closer to the launch.

- CNA/ir

Well, is this good news or bad..... I will be contactable whenever I am on a SQ plane from then on.... but I definitely won't mind having the internet service....

By Mustafa Shafawi | Posted: 05 October 2010 1633 hrs

SINGAPORE: Singapore Airlines (SIA) passengers will soon be able to make calls on their mobile phones while still in the air.

They will also be able to send and receive email and SMS easily on their smartphones and Blackberry devices.

Making that possible is SIA's multi-million-dollar tie-up with OnAir.

The company has roaming agreements with about 200 mobile network operators globally including the three main operators in Singapore.

SIA plans to roll out the services from as early as the first half of next year, and will be the first major airline in Asia to offer this.

Customers who use the mobile telephony services will see their usage reflected in the monthly bills from their home mobile phone operator where international roaming rates apply.

For Internet access, customers can sign up for an access package upon logging in to the system.

Details of the charges will be announced closer to the launch.

- CNA/ir

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...085234/1/.html
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Finally..here it comes...

But before take off and landing, I guess mobile phones still have to be turned off, and getting all passengers to do that is really a challenge.

Comment

SIA to offer inflight wireless Internet

SIA to offer inflight wireless Internet

SINGAPORE - Singapore Airlines said Tuesday it would be able to offer passengers inflight wireless Internet access at 35,000 feet (10,668 metres) by next year.

SIA said it plans to roll out a scheme that will allow access to WiFi Internet and mobile telephony services from as early as the first half of 2011.

"The environment that our customers have gotten used to on the ground can soon be replicated in the air, when they fly with Singapore Airlines on aircraft fitted with this new connectivity platform," said Yap Kim Wah, senior vice-president for product and services.

"Travelling on business or pleasure, they are just a click or an SMS away, with access to live information, social networking and news updates, as well as inflight shopping," he said in a statement.

SIA said it would become the first major airline in Asia to provide such services, which would be offered as part of its inflight programme.

Passengers will be charged for using the service, which will be available on all long-range aircraft, it said. Details of the charges will be announced closer to the launch.

SIA is one of the world's leading carriers and is consistently voted by travellers as one of their favourite airlines.

- AFP/ir

Taken off Channel News Asia

Comment

Taken off SQ press release website

"With plans to roll out the services from as early as the first half of 2011, Singapore Airlines will be the first major airline in Asia to launch a full suite of inflight connectivity services. These will be introduced progressively on flights operated by the Airline’s Airbus A380, Airbus A340-500 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft."

Seems Airbus A330 is not included..............

Comment

aww dam! i am flying early jan and wont get to use the internet

Comment

Is OnAir different from the tie up with Panasonic which CX announced earlier this year ?

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9772

Comment

Are they actaully allowing voice calls as well, as the reports linked don't both seem to confirm that ?.

I totally agree with connectivity via internet access etc, but allowing full on phone calls on long haul flights is a terrible idea.

Comment

Yes bad ideal. It is going to be a nosiy flight soon !

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    Are they actaully allowing voice calls as well, as the reports linked don't both seem to confirm that ?.

I totally agree with connectivity via internet access etc, but allowing full on phone calls on long haul flights is a terrible idea.
                    I read in the Straits Times today on a comment that mentioned voice calls in the air are now put on hold & not confirmed, but the wireless internet is confirmed.

But yesterday, the first article that was released was on usage of mobile calls on board, seem the reports are in conflict now.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      allowing full on phone calls on long haul flights is a terrible idea.
                      +1. I prefer the peace and quiet now...

Comment

I will still turn my phone off. Shows how much bs was made up when they came up with excuses for forcing people to turn their phone off, such as interfering with a/c equipment etc. Shows how quickly they can turn back on the drivel they spout.

Comment

love the idea of being able to connect on the internet ... but mobile phones??? that's a terrible idea. imagine you are just about to fall asleep and the guy next to you has his handphone go off .... probably some really irritating ringing tone as well ....arrghhh

Comment

Originally posted by dttj0069 View Post
                            love the idea of being able to connect on the internet ... but mobile phones??? that's a terrible idea. imagine you are just about to fall asleep and the guy next to you has his handphone go off .... probably some really irritating ringing tone as well ....arrghhh
                            +1! If the phone is on silent mode and people want to send / receive SMS then I am fine with that. But to have someone chatting away on the phone, that would really irritate me. Ditto on the irritating ringtone...
                            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Internet - great idea.

Phones - not so great idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X