No announcement yet.

SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM and SWN have been grounded for a year, SWY for almost 3 years now. My guess is they're cargo aircraft and as you pointed out, sbs2716g, it might be possible those few will come back into service. Then we have 2 more 77W at ASP (SWJ, SWK) that have only been passenger configured.

Comment

• I see that SWY has done a test flight as SQ8877 and now back to doing its first revenue flight as SQ237/228 to/from MEL tonight, albeit a 3 hour delay from SIN.

The few left at this time are: 9V-SWM (Star Alliance Livery) and 9V-SWN (The only 77W without the new GX satellite wifi hump, thus far), which are parked at Changi as well as 9V-SWJ (Star Alliance Livery) and 9V-SWK (parked in ASP). Surely the pandemic allowed them to refit and refurbish many of the 77W systems and no 77W has returned without the upgraded systems.

I'm sure SWN will return the same way the other 77W will return like SWA-SWT series as China is opening up and it's allowing them to reactivate the 77W on key routes. It's only a matter of time.

On another note good to see that cargo 77W are now being converted back to a regular passenger 77W, as CX is practically doing the same thing with many 77W (i.e B-KQF, KQQ, KPY, KPZ, etc) that were doing cargo flights.

Hopefully this will eventually be smaller signs gradually that SQ8/7 (or the former SQ2/1) will return to SFO via HKG. Yet also at the same time, there are likely also other premium routes that are upgrading away from the A359 regionals and really giving back truly the long haul product with First class (i.e. Australia).

Comment

• One Mile At A Time is reporting the AI will be leasing 3x ex SQ 77Ws - https://onemileatatime.com/news/air-...9DPxIoiQdzkOVw

t did indicate these will be likely of the the retired 77Ws SWA, SWD-SWF. I wonder which of the exact 3 would AI pick up…?

Comment

• Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
          One Mile At A Time is reporting the AI will be leasing 3x ex SQ 77Ws - https://onemileatatime.com/news/air-...9DPxIoiQdzkOVw

t did indicate these will be likely of the the retired 77Ws SWA, SWD-SWF. I wonder which of the exact 3 would AI pick up…?
          I read in another article that the possible aircraft would be SWK, SWM and SWN (the article mentions them as SVK, SVM and SVN - which is not accurate)

Comment

• Originally posted by Marlon View Post

I read in another article that the possible aircraft would be SWK, SWM and SWN (the article mentions them as SVK, SVM and SVN - which is not accurate)
            SWK has just re-entered service with SQ though so I would have thought it would be one of the other ones that are still grounded. SWM and SWN are still grounded (and possibly missing their EY cabins as they were converted to Preighters during COVID).

All speculation of course until we have some confirmed details...

Comment

• Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
              One Mile At A Time is reporting the AI will be leasing 3x ex SQ 77Ws - https://onemileatatime.com/news/air-...9DPxIoiQdzkOVw

SWA is no longer owned by SQ so it can't be leased to Air India by SQ..

Comment

• Originally posted by Not You View Post

SWA is no longer owned by SQ so it can't be leased to Air India by SQ..
                SWA is in all white now and left the SQ fleet 2 years ago.

I'd reckon it's likely going to be SWD-SWF, but not sure if it'd be SWM or SWN (those 2 are not leased as far as I know).

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post

SWA is in all white now and left the SQ fleet 2 years ago.

I'd reckon it's likely going to be SWD-SWF, but not sure if it'd be SWM or SWN (those 2 are not leased as far as I know).
                  Planespotters.net now lists SWD, SWE and SWF as due for Air India
                  Last edited by Marlon; 14 August 2023, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marlon View Post

Planespotters.net now lists SWD, SWE and SWF as due for Air India
                    We need to take data in planespotters.net with pinch of salt since it is maintained by volunteers. We shall see which airframe AI is taking up when they are actually delivered.

Comment

• SWJ is returning to SIN today from ASP as SQ8877.

With it's return, there are no longer SIA 77Ws parked out here at ASP.

SWM and SWN are still out of service - and the longer they are out, the more I wonder if they will ever go back into service...

Comment

• Yup, just chanced upon it when tracking a family members flight, it's on final now at 150ft and ... touchdown.

Comment

• Interestingly, it looks like both SWJ and SWM are planned to take to the skies for an air test in the next couple of days.

For context, SWJ returned to SIN from ASP in February 2024 and SWM has essentially not flown since December 2021, clocking more than 2 years on the ground in SIN.

Comment

Working...
                          X