Meaning of the SIA logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaning of the SIA logo

Hi everyone, I was just wondering what kind of bird is portayed on the SIA logo???

Is it a fenix ????

i s'pose it's a goose? at least i call it 'the golden goose' and everybody knows it's SIA i'm talking about!
    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
      Hi everyone, I was just wondering what kind of bird is portayed on the SIA logo???

Is it a fenix ????
      No idea...but understand from Mr. Lim Chin Beng was that it was designed by a US based insignia company and selected from 200 proposals during SQ's early days.

Comment

I used to think it was a waving hand.... and even till now I see the hand before I see the bird.

Comment

The proportion of the wing and the dark band under where the eye would be has always made me think of a peregrine falcon (although a peregrine falcon wouldn't fly with its head up like that).

But "Golden Goose" better captures the airline's economic contribution to Singapore.

P.S. Oh, and welcome to SQTalk, Jason.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

It's a 'stylised bird'.

Comment

On TOF, someone once claimed that the logo depicts the Crimson Sunbird, supposedly the national bird of Singapore. But my quick internet research revealed that the Crimson Sunbird may or may not be a totally official national bird, and that the designation was only made within the last five years. If anything, I think that logic is a little flawed. I'd say the golden goose itself is Singapore's national bird.

Comment

isnt golden goose used for LH?

Comment

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
                  isnt golden goose used for LH?
                  I think that's supposed to be a crane (though I call it a "yellow stork").

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                    No idea...but understand from Mr. Lim Chin Beng was that it was designed by a US based insignia company and selected from 200 proposals during SQ's early days.
                    By the way, very interesting information, LionCity. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      I think that's supposed to be a crane (though I call it a "yellow stork").
                      yepp. LH's logo is definitely a crane.
                      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                        Wasn't it Landor that designed the "Golden Goose"? Maybe if we can find out who design it, we can ask the designer what bird actually our beloved "Golden Goose" is.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                          Wasn't it Landor that designed the "Golden Goose"? Maybe if we can find out who design it, we can ask the designer what bird actually our beloved "Golden Goose" is.
                          http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/medalist-walterlandor

Comment

Landor is probably the guy. I remembered during the talk given by Mr. Lim Chin Beng that he mentioned the visit to the designer with an office on a boat house.

Comment

Can't believe it's a goose.
                              It looks much more like a fenix to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X