Clear All

so from what i can put... the SIA logo is

A waving hand
    A pegion
    A dove
    A phoenix
    A goose

Comment

Now, who here was in Singapore in 1972 when MSA split and SQ was created?

It was then understood in that the bird used was the "Yellow Bird" that is commonly found in Singapore. When I grew up in my house there were many singing Yellow Birds. Sadly, these days they are a rare sight, but are still around in Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post

It was then understood in that the bird used was the "Yellow Bird" that is commonly found in Singapore. When I grew up in my house there were many singing Yellow Birds. Sadly, these days they are a rare sight, but are still around in Singapore.
        I wasn't born, but I think the yellow singing bird you refer to is an oriole. I don't think it matches the logo. But then I still think the logo is a waving hand so I'm not really qualified to say ...

Comment

all this talks about birds... makes me hungry....

Comment

Actually, it's a Dove. I dunno the meaning though.

Comment

More history reviews....

Years ago, SQ helped Air Lanka in the management of the airline. If you look carefully, the logo is quite similar to SQ. But when Emirates took over, the new logo looks like that of Emirates.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post

Not born yet myself, but not much longer after that. Anyway returning to the topic, this topic has been discussed in other aviation boards and I believe that it has been mentioned before somewhere that both the SQ and MI birds are actually seagulls - a line of thought I tend to follow.

Comment

I find this thread most insightful - thanks to all who've contributed!
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                    That would be Merpati Nusantara Airlines

Actually I remembered someone did tell me it was supposed to be a pigeon long long time ago.

Well, for sure it is not the mythical Garuda bird.

If it is a Phoenix, then it is Air China

If it is a Swallow, then it is China Eastern

It it is a Crane, then it is Lufthansa (and JAL long time ago before JAL management went coo coo and killed the bird for a stupid red stain on its tail)
                    Does anyone know that the Air China phoenix is actually a stylized version of the letters V.I.P.?

Comment

If i ran an airline I'd never use a Phoenix, simply because the connotation behind it is "risen from the ashes" -implying a death, then rebirth. Not necessarily good for business. Having said that, there's also the connotation that the aforementioned death and rebirth cycle is perpetual, therefore the Phoenix is also de facto immortal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_%28mythology%29

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        If i ran an airline I'd never use a Phoenix, simply because the connotation behind it is "risen from the ashes" -implying a death, then rebirth. Not necessarily good for business. Having said that, there's also the connotation that the aforementioned death and rebirth cycle is perpetual, therefore the Phoenix is also de facto immortal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_%28mythology%29

This reminds me of a story I heard from my Taiwanese friend (disclaimer: I can't guarantee the accuracy of this story). Eva Air was first actually registered as EAC (Evergreen Airline Corp) Air. However, someone from the management team quickly realized that "EAC" actually had a bad connotation to Hokkien speaker (Tai Yi) speaker. Thus, the name Eva Air.

Comment

This reminds me of a story I heard from my Taiwanese friend (disclaimer: I can't guarantee the accuracy of this story). Eva Air was first actually registered as EAC (Evergreen Airline Corp) Air. However, someone from the management team quickly realized that "EAC" actually had a bad connotation to Hokkien speaker (Tai Yi) speaker. Thus, the name Eva Air.
                          Speaking of hokkien, a friend of a friend, had the license plate "BEH 4" on his Mercedez Benz.

So here I'm thinking the number 4 was Bad Joss for Chinese. Yet this guy was quintessential chinese.

One day, I plucked up the courage to ask him about it, and it turned out he was hokkien. He told me to read the plate out loud as if in Hokkien - it takes on a COMPLETELY different meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            Speaking of hokkien, a friend of a friend, had the license plate "BEH 4" on his Mercedez Benz.

So here I'm thinking the number 4 was Bad Joss for Chinese. Yet this guy was quintessential chinese.

One day, I plucked up the courage to ask him about it, and it turned out he was hokkien. He told me to read the plate out loud as if in Hokkien - it takes on a COMPLETELY different meaning.
                            So he is immortal.

Comment

So he is immortal.
                              He's still alive, the benz is gone thanks to his son sneaking it out one night and planting it the bush/scenery/shrubbery/lalang.

That rego now adorns a Lexus. Aforementioned son has now got his own benz to have a prang in.

Comment

Wrong!! The logo is a Golden Crane

Ryu rides on one

BTW The Crane is the national bird of Singapore

Comment

Working...
                                X