SQ reinstating FRA-JFK, HKG-SFO in Nov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post

don’t think so much. Every post of you is asking when SQ will fly SIN-HKG-SFO. if you don’t feel like flying 17hrs in a direct flight , feel free to fly other airlines.

SQ is having crews shortage. To fly SQ1/2 on a 3 time per week basis, they need 4 sets of crews and the layover time is long compare to the direct flight.

SQ2 to HKG, layover 2 days SFO another 2 days. Back to HKG another 2 days plus HKG still test the crews upon arrival.

Compare to 2-3 days layover for a direct SFO flight.
    Until SQ sort out their crews, would think SQ2/1 to SFO will not resume anytime soon.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I will learn to accept that SQ has absolutely no plans to resume HKG-SFO anytime soon given how complicated this sounds. But if you look at the bright side, it’s also good because their 777’s are at least 10-15 years old and despite the new cabin products the aircraft itself is old and the Wifi system is different depending on the age. I hope there will be some consistency when their 777-9’s come and if they do fly SFO-SIN nonstop I may try them. Their A350’s are between 3-5 years old
    look
    There’s absolutely no chance of it happening next Summer in the near term, and probably not so later. Anyway SQ did say that what they have or going is still going to exceed pre-pandemic levels to the US.

After explaining this to both my parents (my dad doesn’t care as he will fly PY and get from A to B), my parents especially my mom agreed let’s do other airlines and explore other places as breaking those flights like 10-8 or 9-9, etc is easiest and I think the same too.

Comment

Latest SQ HKG schedule:

SQ892/893 is reinstated as a passenger flight on SIN-HKG-SIN from 15JAN23, using 359 LH, bringing the route to the promised 3x daily pax ops from mid-Jan, supplementing:
      • SQ894/895 77W till 30NOV22, then 388 from 01DEC22 (no change).
      • SQ882/883 77W from 15DEC22 (upgrade from original plan, which used 359 LH)
      SQ882/883 (359 LH) will continue to operate as a cargo-only flight between now and 14DEC22.
      SQ2/1 (359 MH) will also continue to operate as a cargo-only flight throughout the northern winter season.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
        Hard to believe it’s been exactly 1 year that HKG-SFO flights got reinstated with a 77W, then went to an A350 in December/January (likely due to many 77W being moved around and not enough had returned to revenue service back then), but got suspended due to the HKSAR govt directive. SQ8/7 having daytime departures compared to evening/nighttime departures. Those mimicked the CX870/879 departures, although that flight is operating once a week on Wednesdays only on the A350 aircraft.

Now while SQ only has nonstops to SFO (11 weekly with Y class seats), what are the chances this flight can still come back? Remember, in December they are putting 2 daily HKG flights with a potential for 1 more flight making it 3 daily flights.

Only asking because it seems that the crew situation doesn’t seem as complicated or difficult than it was say a couple of months ago and HK has eased (and likely will continue) to ease restrictions even if China mainland still sticks with covid zero.
        I am confident that SQ 1/2 will return when the quarantine between China mainland and HK loosens up. Especially during CNY, many pax on this route are from Guangdong. I know many who are eager to fly SQ 1/2 again when it resumes. SQ won't let its flagship route suspended forever. I have learned to be hopeful and patient. The resume of multiple HKG flights is definitely a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ002 View Post

I am confident that SQ 1/2 will return when the quarantine between China mainland and HK loosens up. Especially during CNY, many pax on this route are from Guangdong. I know many who are eager to fly SQ 1/2 again when it resumes. SQ won't let its flagship route suspended forever. I have learned to be hopeful and patient. The resume of multiple HKG flights is definitely a good sign.
          I won’t hold my breath anymore on this. That may be true but something tells me SQ has more or less finalized their Summer schedule in some way.

Plus there’s also time issues; SQ2 formerly was a 6:30PM departure ex-SIN (now replaced by SQ34 now a nonstop evening flight). SQ32 is a morning nonstop flight (Former SQ8 departed in the AM). It’s a little complicated on how that will go plus SQ2/1 could still remain cargo during the late night.

I wouldn’t expect that they bring it back anytime soon if the nonstop works out for them. The only 2 routes doing nonstop flights alone (with no fifth freedom option) are SEA & YVR.

In September I’ll be flying to India again most likely, if the HKG flight comes back that would be good. But eveything is all dependent on the fares, too. If CX resumes more India routes like MAA, that would help as less time is spent but we could try other airlines to split the time than sit 16-17 hrs.

Comment

I stumbled on an article from SF Gate that sometime in March, UA is planning to deploy double daily 77W's from SFO-HKG. Originally, before the pandemic, they used to deploy 772's on this route, meaning no plane would overnight in HKG for better fleet utilization. From a Star Alliance partner, it is certainly a major capacity increase.

CX is also gradually beginning to bring back triple daily 77W's slowly (note that there are 3 flights with choices, but none of them are daily, as of yet, maybe some are once or a few times a week, but that can change depending on how the network gets rebuilt).

My guess is even if SQ does bring back, not 100% sure if it will be with a 77W, maybe with 5 77W's already deployed, maybe an A350, or they may not bring it back if the nonstop SIN-SFO-SIN is profitable enough and less complication with the crews.

Comment

I flew SQ33 a few weeks ago and came back this past Monday on SQ32 and I can tell you a few things. Literally, despite the cramped and uncomfortable aisles and seats on the A350, SQ32 is generally time-saving compared to the same departure of the flight via ICN, HKG, or even NRT. Basically it saves you 3-4 hours compared to the 1-stop. The one problem is it's longer because of where Singapore is situated in the world.

SQ33 did help me to mimick my sleep cycle at home (i.e. 12AM-7AM Pacific Time) as well as my breakfast time (9AM Standard time) and coffee time (7AM) and even brushed my teeth before then. SQ32 on the other hand did allow me to get good incremental 3 hours of sleep and the A350 in its own way reduces its jetlag (while going my bird was a 1 year old 9V-SJE, coming back a 3 year old bird 9V-SMV).

If I'm being completely honest, I do prefer if the 1-stop flfth freedom route to SFO on the 77W really comes back as those seats (2013 Y) were much more comfortable and roomier (just like the Emirates A380) and even despite those seats being 10 years old, to me it still looks like they're fairly new and comply in today's standards compared to say, 2006 Y class seats (nowhere to be found anymore these days). Same with my mom, she did not enjoy the A350 cabin and the cramped seats and aisles at all.

I also spoke to a male crew while getting a snack on SQ33 and they said well obviously HKG is closed which is why it got canceled and from what I know, so far there doesn't seem to be plans for the HKG-SFO route to even come back maybe due to the fact that it's much easier on the crews (ex-SIN and ex-SFO) on a rotational roster basis. This is quite sad, and honestly, if I have to fly SQ again, I would try spending a little more $ on Premium Economy instead. Otherwise, if at all possible doesn't hurt to explore other airlines in terms of breaking the flights like 9-9, 10-8, etc.

Could it be possible that SQ34/33 be going daily at some point with 3-class A350's (with Y class) once more A350 aircraft come online?

Comment

I would also prefer to get SQ1/2 back.

I have been flying SQ33/34 to Singapore and back.

Even though I do fly business and usually can get 10A or 11F bulkhead seat.

SQ33 at 16+ hour is still too much. The flight usually gets in before 5AM. By the time I get to hotel it’s usually 6:30am or so too early to check in. So I have to wander around for couple hours.

Arriving close to noon is better.

Comment

Originally posted by krispykreme View Post
                  I would also prefer to get SQ1/2 back.

I have been flying SQ33/34 to Singapore and back.

Even though I do fly business and usually can get 10A or 11F bulkhead seat.

SQ33 at 16+ hour is still too much. The flight usually gets in before 5AM. By the time I get to hotel it’s usually 6:30am or so too early to check in. So I have to wander around for couple hours.

Arriving close to noon is better.
                  I agree, whatever class you pick, 16 hours is too much and I really had my fair share of this too, if I fly alone, either it would be Premium Economy or pick another carrier if the price difference is not significant.

SQ7/8 is also okay, too. I know when that operated, it got to SIN around midnight and was still a day flight out of SFO. I didn't even like taking a 16 hour flight nonstop to SIN and neither does my mom (now she has recently had some surgery, so she really wants to avoid flights longer than 13-14 hours for many reasons). We are probably going to fly again this Summer for a relative's wedding (dates TBD, it may be June or July), so I'm hoping that SQ can reinstate that route or pick a different 5th freedom route to SFO if demand warrants.

At this point, Hong Kong has removed restrictions, CX is ramping up their SFO service (not daily on any of their 3 flights yet, but it could be) on their 77W (mostly without First Class), UA has made a comeback to HKG on their 77W (by later this month, it should increase to twice daily on the 77W). There is no quarantine or issues with the pre-departure tests.

Any idea what's stopping SQ from reinstating SIN-HKG-SFO-HKG-SIN? Is it the competition from UA and CX? Crew issues, like whatever I mentioned from my post; just because they told me doesn't always mean it could be true. Aircraft shortage perhaps (SWM, SWN, SWJ, SWK)?

Comment

How about trying the dreaded infamous SFO-BLR nonstop / have some pretty decent reviews of the JAL SFO-NRT-BLR flight too: people who took JAL vouch not to fly any other !

Comment

Originally posted by SQ forever View Post
                      How about trying the dreaded infamous SFO-BLR nonstop / have some pretty decent reviews of the JAL SFO-NRT-BLR flight too: people who took JAL vouch not to fly any other !
                      Not after what my mom went thru on AI in 2016 nor any of my friends in recent times.

JL is definitely on my list, BUT it tends to be way more pricier but not a bad idea for a change if at all. Nothing is set in stone, just trying to lay out some scenarios because nothing is set in stone, just yet. One day I will fly JL, just not yet. LH is another consideration, though they operate 747's. but breaking it splits the flight time and layover quite well. The price is an issue.

Comment

The last A380 doing SQ26 is being operated by 9V-SKM on 15May. This will mark the end of the A380 on US routes. Instead, it'll either be operated by an A350 or 77W.

From Tuesday, 16May, according to iCargo, SQ26 is scheduled to be operated by 9V-SWP. The last time (except for a few one-off's last Summer) that JFK was served with the 77W instead of in 2013 was from Nov 2021 to Mar 2022, in parallel to when SQ reinstated their SIN-HKG-SFO flights (SQ8/7).

From the HKG-SFO standpoint, it looks like there is no sign of it being reinstated anytime soon. We are planning to travel in October for my cousin's wedding (very likely) and one of the first things my mom brings up is the night flight....And the current night flight is SQ33 that only has Premium Economy and it's a problem for my mom as she is inflexible about taking days off. Plus we were curiously looking at TRV by TR and it's very costly. SQ is nowhere like it used to be before and the price for every other airline differs from one day to the next and some frequencies to BLR are not so good.The second problem when they bring this up is that I have to educate her that the night flight isn't what it used to be unless you go on some days, you'll be wasting a long layover in SIN or any other airport with this option if going to India. I guess this is one of the reasons she wishes it came back.

Instead, sticking with EK from both a price and product perspective (they treat all their routes equally with at least a decent product, just the 16 hour flight is way too long IMO). There is so much of capping in destinations that it really limits the options. Plus neither of us want to do AI no matter the convenience.

Comment

Although there hasn’t been updates here since the chance of the resumption of the fifth freedom route to San Francisco via Hong Kong hasn’t returned yet, thought I’d mention the following.

SQ34/33 will be deployed with the 3-class A350 (SMV-SJ*) on the evening flight from 1MAY, just like SQ32/31 currently have. It at least gives Y class travelers a choice on which flight suits them.

The last time SQ34/33 were regularly operated with the long haul 3-class A350 was in December 2022.

Consequently the nonstop LAX flight (one of them) will be using the ULR variant. Sounds like a switch

Comment

Working...
                          X