SIA 737 MAX Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA 737 MAX Aircraft

9V-MBA is going on a test flight as MI8880, as of 11/3/2021. Maybe it's going to come back into service soon?

Believed this plane flew back from Alice Springs on 30 Dec 2020. It had then completed a 2-hour test flight from Alice Springs, taking it up to 37,000ft over Australia’s Northern Territory and even over Queensland, before landing back at the same airport around 4.40pm.
    The 738 Maxes will have to wait for recertification of the type approval by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS), although the US FAA and European EASA have already cleared the Max for passenger flights. However think no other Asian countries have lifted the ban on the 737 maxes.
    Last edited by flyguy; 11 March 2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

A large majority of the public will be avoiding the 737max, not sure why SQ still want to continue to take delivery of the remaining aircrafts. The fundamental physics changes to the aircraft cannot be solve by software changes.

Comment

Originally posted by H1090 View Post
        A large majority of the public will be avoiding the 737max, not sure why SQ still want to continue to take delivery of the remaining aircrafts. The fundamental physics changes to the aircraft cannot be solve by software changes.
        Because its sunk cost?

Comment

Originally posted by H1090 View Post
          The fundamental physics changes to the aircraft cannot be solve by software changes.
          Yes they can. The Boeing 747-8 also had a physics-related issue with divergent wingtip flutter that was corrected by an update to the fly-by-wire functionality.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...iation-honors/

Am I going to fly on the MAX? No, because I don't trust the culture at Boeing around the MAX programme and the FAA certification, but it absolutely can be solved by technology.

Comment

Originally posted by shikhargpt View Post
            Am I going to fly on the MAX? No, because I don't trust the culture at Boeing around the MAX programme and the FAA certification, .
            so what would you choose over the MAX to HKT? LCC A320/737NG? or TG widebody sin bkk hkt?

Pardon my curiosity.
            https://www.facebook.com/FLAPV1/
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=11491

Comment

Originally posted by shikhargpt View Post
              Yes they can. The Boeing 747-8 also had a physics-related issue with divergent wingtip flutter that was corrected by an update to the fly-by-wire functionality.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...iation-honors/
              I'm afraid this is not quite a fair comparison. B748 faced an aerodynamics issue in particular and modern FBW can solve this easily.

The 737Max on the other hand faces a centre of gravity issue that has very limited scope to resolve. Boeing's FBW answer to this was MCAS which turned out to be a disaster. The A346 faced a similar problem when it came out and Airbus at one point limited the weight of J class seats and fwd cargo capacity to counter it.

Even the current solution for MCAS, from what I gather, is the cessation of continous nose down input to the pitch trim and an avenue for the pilot to cancel it.

Comment

The 737 Max is the most extensively tested plane ever and there are not just software changes alone as its now relies on 2 AOA sensors instead of one previously and there's a alarm indicator of an fault. And the main thing is that pilots now have to be trained on how to turn off the MCAS and trained in flight simulators too - which was not the case as before sadly for the 2 738s maxes that crashed, as the aircraft can be flown manually without problem when the MCAS is faulty.
                Last edited by flyguy; 12 March 2021, 06:13 PM.

Comment

99% of the paxes won’t know the plane type that they are flying.
                  And I guess SQ might put it as 737 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                    i think american put it as 737-max? so i think if sia do that there will be no transparency.

Comment

Originally posted by fablee View Post
                      so what would you choose over the MAX to HKT? LCC A320/737NG? or TG widebody sin bkk hkt?

Pardon my curiosity.
                      LCC for sure. It's a 2 hour hop, I need nothing fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                        I'm afraid this is not quite a fair comparison. B748 faced an aerodynamics issue in particular and modern FBW can solve this easily.

The 737Max on the other hand faces a centre of gravity issue that has very limited scope to resolve. Boeing's FBW answer to this was MCAS which turned out to be a disaster. The A346 faced a similar problem when it came out and Airbus at one point limited the weight of J class seats and fwd cargo capacity to counter it.

Even the current solution for MCAS, from what I gather, is the cessation of continous nose down input to the pitch trim and an avenue for the pilot to cancel it.
                        I believe it's a fair comparison for the point I was making. Given enough resources (time included), physics issues can be resolved with software fixes (barring fundamental impossibilities of course). And of course, at every stage you have to look at the tradeoffs (a core part of engineering is the realisation that every improvement in a certain sector has a tradeoff in another, there's no free lunch and all that). It wouldn't be wise to pour in resources finding a software fix for majority of the physics issues, which is why it's hardly ever done. But when rushed on projects like the MAX, or forced into implementations like on the MAX, it becomes the only option. But it's still a viable option, even if limited in scope.

With the MAX, the key engineering concept guiding any product development, however, is one that Boeing ignored in the first place is redundancy and operator training. Single AoA sensor to dictate MCAS input is one of the most shocking things I have ever known of in aviation based on prevailing engineering wisdom, especially in aviation where double and triple redundancies are minimum. This is not mentioning other issues with Boeing such as the engineers having concerns overruled by management and the certification model in the US with the FAA. That's why, for me, the MAX is tainted for a long long time. Maybe in a decade when there have been no incidents I may trust the aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                          Even we will struggle if SQ does that, unless a route is MAX-exclusive/NG-exclusive. So the only option will be to swear off SQ on that route if they mix-and-match MAX+NG on it and you don't want to fly the MAX. You won't know until dispatch which aircraft is assigned your sector until you see it at gate

Comment

The 737 Max will be one of the safest aircraft to fly, as it has gone under the most intensive repairs and engineering. People may not feel it is safe, but it's probably one of the safest out there.

Comment

Maybe, but if you read Tim Clark's scathing interview on Boeing, I'd be hard pressed to find any confidence in flying a MAX and even their already-delivered 787s.

https://theaircurrent.com/industry-s...n-737-max-787/

But I think we've digressed a lot from this original topic on SQ MAXs.

Comment

Working...
                              X