Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FCO - Will it be served with new aircraft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCO - Will it be served with new aircraft?

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker. Pardon me in advance if this has ever been brought up before.

As the title says, will FCO/Rome ever get a new plane? The 777-200 doesn't justify the length of flight and destination. Hope to see a new bird serving this route soon.

Fres

At this time its not certain. Definitely destinations like FCO, CPH and IST will eventually get the A359 seeing as the seating configs are almost the same as the 772s. But for now it looks like SQ is concentrating on showing off its new birds on the more popular and high-grossing routes.

Comment

I hope so too. Any speculation when it might be FCO's turn to get the A359s? Seems like this route doesn't get a lot of love.

Comment

I don't think FCO will be switching to A350 just yet. However, the route might get the 772ERs with a re-refitted cabin. It appears that SQ has (oddly) decided to refit some of their old 772s with 2006 Y and IFE (the ones on the A330, A380, and un-refitted 773ER), which brings significant upgrades for both J but especially Y passengers. It means no more horrible lumpy seats and outdated IFE. I'm not sure which planes are due to receive this upgrade or how many. Maybe someone on this forum knows?

Comment

I flew FCO-SIN back in June 2014. I remember seeing the blue Y seats for the first time in literally 8 years. It was a nightmare. Lumpy as anything, with that silly air cushion thingy (under your thighs) never working properly. IFE was virtually unusable and my controller had damage (buttons had to pressed hard/multiple times to get a response). Fortunately, i wanted to sleep. But it was impossible get any, because of the lumpiness and the silly headrest not wanting to cooperate. Of course, it didn't help that the moment i stepped off the plane (at 5.30am) i had to rush to an event that would last from 7am-10pm.

Comment

I flew this route back in march and yeah while the seats weee the old kind and that the IFE was really old, the positive is that this flight sees relatively little traffic. On my flight out, Y was prolly 20% full? As far as I could see, everyone on Y had their own "economy lie-flat" to themselves

Comment

I travel to Rome on Singapore Airlines very often, seriously doubt SQ will put that A350-900 on SQ366/365, reason been in Summer, SQ operates 3 times a week & in the winter only twice in a week, and SQ HQ flight operation only schedule their Rome flight on Friday & Sunday, thus if you missed the Sunday departure, you will have to pay for 4 more night hotel accommodation, in-order to get a flight home, alternatively you catch a domestic flight to MXP & hop on SQ377 or SQ367 to Singapore.
              I do think that Rome is not a "Much Love"station! So B777-200ER-SV* frame will still ply that route for at least another year or two!

Comment

I think SQ would be happy if everyone made their own way to MXP and they could ditch the destination, but there must still be something in it for them, especially to keep it going through the winter. It will definitely be one of the last routes to lose the dreaded 772ER and at this stage there are no confirmations at all of any planned or actual refitting work being done on the SV-series 772s. The only consolation is for J passengers, as it is very unlikely that SVF, the last remaining Spacebedder, will every delight FCO with its purple inner glow again as they now have a surplus of refitted 772ER, or will have rather soon.

Comment

Actually given that SQ has no MXP-BCN rights anyway, why don't they tag BCN to FCO some days instead...

Comment

Actually on that note of SQ "loving a route", any idea how would IST rank on that love list.

Any idea if around may next year, would IST be getting a 359 for themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by alastairloh View Post
                      Actually on that note of SQ "loving a route", any idea how would IST rank on that love list.

Any idea if around may next year, would IST be getting a 359 for themselves?
                      The codeshare partnership with TK was a big hope to expand their connections to small European destinations, Africa and ex-Soviet regions and at one point I think they did or almost did hit daily, if not, definitely 6x weekly.

Through the last month, the days the flight operated swung wildly into different patterns each fortnight and will then slump to 4x weekly at the end of next week, suggesting flights they planned to operate got axed. First the terror incident at IST, followed by the attempted coup and now an uncertain political stability have taken their toll. They might be stuck with that old 772 a while longer...

Comment

Working...
                      X