V Australia announces new service to AUH, tie-up with Etihad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V Australia announces new service to AUH, tie-up with Etihad

With full frequent flyer program reciprocity. This, amongst other changes, aimed at consolidating the Virgin Blue Group's position as a premium competitor to Qantas.

Personally I am excited about all the new changes at Virgin. A 2nd full service airline in the Australian market with global reach would be great! Now bring on hip and fresh Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse-style lounges in Australian international ports and I'd be tempted to move some business away from Qantas.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/virgi...826-13sxo.html

Unveiling the second phase of its network review, Virgin Blue signed a codeshare and interline agreement with Middle Eastern airline Etihad which will result in V Australia aircraft flying directly between Australia and Abu Dhabi from next year.

The two airlines will fly a total of 27 weekly services between Abu Dhabi and Australian destinations including Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

The tie-up will give passengers access to 65 destinations in Europe and the Middle East via Etihad.

However, it means V Australia will ditch its loss-making services to South Africa from February next year. V Australia’s flights to Phuket in Thailand will also be replaced by its short-haul offshoot, Pacific Blue.

It comes a week after the airline announced it would stop flying within New Zealand, while V Australia would be replaced on the Fiji route by Pacific Blue aircraft.
    Other changes to come (sorry too lazy to find the appropriate article):
    - Domestic business class
    - Wide body aircraft (A330-200) on transcontinental services
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.
Working...
X