Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jambalaya
    replied
    I am "fortunate" enough to have travelled Air Koryo from Beijing to Pyongyang on one of their aging Tupolevs. Quite an experience I have to say, starting with the rousing military music greeting me on board, to the most bland and horrible food I've ever tasted. Believe it or not, there was no AVOD!!

Unfortunately I was too unprepared to carry a camera on board, however others were taking happy snaps; no one was barred from taking pictures of what they felt like.

I've no doubt the Pyongyang to KL flight will be packed with DPRK diplomats going to Malaysia for a junket; My flight was completely full - all males, all carrying the same briefcase, all wearing the mandatory Kim il-Sung badge.

Leave a comment:

• MAN Flyer
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
    Did they mean "Cannot take pics of the Air Koryo" or "Cannot take pics on the tarmac!".
    I didn't get involved in a chat with them about it but I suspect it was both.

Leave a comment:

• SilverChris
    replied
    Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    I remember disembarking at a remote gate at SGN after arriving on a domestic flight from HPH a couple of years ago, and there was an Air Koryo bird parked next to us. Thinking it was a bit unusual I'll grap a quick snap of it, only for about three or four security staff to come bouncing over yelling 'cannot, cannot'.
    Did they mean "Cannot take pics of the Air Koryo" or "Cannot take pics on the tarmac!".

Leave a comment:

• MAN Flyer
    replied
    I remember disembarking at a remote gate at SGN after arriving on a domestic flight from HPH a couple of years ago, and there was an Air Koryo bird parked next to us. Thinking it was a bit unusual I'll grap a quick snap of it, only for about three or four security staff to come bouncing over yelling 'cannot, cannot'.

Leave a comment:

• SilverChris
    replied
    Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
    Air Koryo has a Facebook page?
    Quite unbelievable, considering that Internet is hard to come by in North Korea

Leave a comment:

• Fryderyk HPH
    replied
    Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
    A thriving one at that

Leave a comment:

• kelvgoh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Fryderyk HPH
    replied
    To add to the list...

They started flying to Kuwait City also (with their Tu204-300 of course).

From Airlineroute.net

North Korea’s Air Koryo launches Pyongyang – Kuwait service
    Air Koryo on 16MAY11 has launched weekly Pyongyang – Kuwait City service on board Tupolev Tu204 aircraft, as per 31MAY11 GDS timetable display. The airline also announced that this route has been launched on its facebook page.

This route is the first nonstop link between North Korea and Middle East, also 2nd new destination the airline launched this year. On its facebook page, the airline’s representative quote “We were also quite surprised in this expansion”.

Schedule of the flight as follows:

JS161 FNJ1800 – 0110+1KWI T20 1
    JS162 KWI1400 – 0500+1FNJ T20 2

Leave a comment:

• SilverChris
    replied
    Would be fun to try them out on KUl-SIN runs

Leave a comment:

• Fryderyk HPH
    replied
    Originally posted by sealalula View Post
    LOL I thought that was for real
    It is. tsktsk

Leave a comment:

• sealalula
    replied
    Originally posted by Fryderyk HPH View Post
    I'm SO SORRY I forgot to edit that very portion out.
    Apparently they don't fly to SIN already.

Apparently after their tour agency pulled out the FNJ promotions, their slots and rights to SIN effectively got canned. IIRC their agency is Universal Tour Company, but I might be wrong.

But as I said above, little birdies chirping about possible restart of SIN flights with the routing as FNJ — KUL — SIN — FNJ. Don't expect 5th freedom KUL — SIN though...
    LOL I thought that was for real

Leave a comment:

• Kyo
    replied

Would have been fun to give that a try.

Originally posted by Fryderyk HPH View Post
    Don't expect 5th freedom KUL — SIN though...
    I see you already answered my next question.

I like that.

Leave a comment:

• Fryderyk HPH
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    I didn't even know we had them in Changi!!

Anyone looked into pricing to Pyongyang yet? Great for positioning, I'm sure...
    I'm SO SORRY I forgot to edit that very portion out.
    Apparently they don't fly to SIN already.

Apparently after their tour agency pulled out the FNJ promotions, their slots and rights to SIN effectively got canned. IIRC their agency is Universal Tour Company, but I might be wrong.

But as I said above, little birdies chirping about possible restart of SIN flights with the routing as FNJ — KUL — SIN — FNJ. Don't expect 5th freedom KUL — SIN though...

Leave a comment:

• Fryderyk HPH
    replied
    Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
    Air Koryo??? In KUL???

Would anyone want to fly from KUL to Pyongyang?
    You'd probably be surprised how much diplomatic traffic transits through SE-Asia and China into DPRK...

First flight getting 70 pax without any publicity at all pretty much says something decent about the route. Heard from little birdies chirping saying that Pyongyang — Kuala Lumpur — Singapore — Pyongyang route is on the cards...

Waiting for approval from the necessary authorities (the approval from where and for what I don't know).

Leave a comment:

• SilverChris
    replied
    Air Koryo??? In KUL???

Would anyone want to fly from KUL to Pyongyang?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X