Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ A350 Regional J to MEL: Melbourne is Open for Business! (And Leisure!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks as always to the comprehensively detailed TR so far - yr pictures and vivid telling almost letting me experience the journey myself. Your colourful TR brings back so much pleasant memories - in my earlier self I frequented and transited through MEL regularly, i should also mentioned that MEL with its domestic terminal immediately next to its international terminal, is a much more convenient transfer than SYD.

Agree with you on Air NZ vs SQ lounges at MEL - i always stopped by SKL for SGP food but especially Straits Times, just for an early feel for home, before heading to Air NZ to chill, before boarding.

I continue to be amazed that you can do a 10k run and hold yr breath sufficiently still for those beautiful shots - well done, and great stamina.

I supposed the remaining epilogue will end off with your run? Which is the prologue?

Comment

• Originally posted by jammed View Post
      Thanks as always to the comprehensively detailed TR so far - yr pictures and vivid telling almost letting me experience the journey myself. Your colourful TR brings back so much pleasant memories - in my earlier self I frequented and transited through MEL regularly, i should also mentioned that MEL with its domestic terminal immediately next to its international terminal, is a much more convenient transfer than SYD.
      Thanks, jammed! It was nice to be back in MEL again after a long time. I was considering a SYD stopover as well, but decided to keep plans simple this time round.

Originally posted by jammed View Post
      Agree with you on Air NZ vs SQ lounges at MEL - i always stopped by SKL for SGP food but especially Straits Times, just for an early feel for home, before heading to Air NZ to chill, before boarding.
      That's a good plan! I am sure the Air NZ lounge is that large for a reason. At peak periods it must be quite busy. It is quite fortunate that there aren't too many Air NZ flights around the same time that the SQ flights depart.

Originally posted by jammed View Post
      I continue to be amazed that you can do a 10k run and hold yr breath sufficiently still for those beautiful shots - well done, and great stamina.
      The weather was perfect for long runs! And the photo stops are a great opportunity to catch a few breaths!

Comment

• On this daytime sector, I chose window seats so that we could enjoy the spectacular views out the window...

With the flight well underway, it was time to explore the IFE...

The movie and TV selection was as impressive as I remembered it to be from pre-COVID days...

...with both Hollywood blockbusters...

...and quite a number of Singapore films...

...including a CNA documentary about life in maximum security at Changi prison.

There was a handheld controller with separate LCD panel...

I fiddled with it a bit, but in the end, it was just easier to use the touchscreen.

The KrisShop catalog was also available on the IFE, but I don't recall if they actually did duty free sales onboard at that time.

There was a function on the IFE labeled menu, but instead of actually showing the menu, the screen simply provided a QR code, and instructions on how to connect to inflight wifi with your mobile/tablet/computer and view the menu there...

I wonder why SQ doesn't just publish the menu on the IFE.

In any case, based on other posts on SQTalk it does seem that SQ has reverted back to printed menus, which is great! Nothing beats browsing a physical menu, whether in-flight or in a restaurant on the ground!

Comment

• You could download the menu, or just view it directly on the website...

On this flight, there was a refreshment served after take-off, then lunch prior to arrival.

The refreshment menu...

Lunch...

The wines for this flight included Piper-Heidsieck Champagne...

White wines included Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Eden Valley Riesling and Mornington Peninsula Chardonnay...

Red wines on this flight were Chateau Issac 2016 from Bordeaux, Dandelion Shiraz 2017 from the Barossa Valley, and a Rioja, Vina Lancing Reserve from Bodega LAN...

The cocktail and liquor selections were pretty good too...

...and a wide range of coffees and teas were available, including Chinese and green teas...

Last edited by yflyer; 15 August 2022, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• The available inflight amenities were also listed in the menu...

I asked for a pair of eyeshades and earplugs and these were promptly provided...

Comment

• Inflight wifi was available on this flight. For J class pax, 100MB was complimentary. For Krisflyer members in Premium/Economy class, you were given 2 hours complimentary access for chat apps, such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Viber etc. Beyond that, there were also wifi plans available for purchase.

Comment

• I took a stroll to check out the bathrooms. Note the bottle of hand sanitizer mounted on the wall...

I thought the bathroom decor was quite tasteful and stylish...

Sensor-operated tap...

Cloth towels, and amenities from Penhaligon's...

Other amenities such as toothbrushes and shavers were in the drawer...

Comment

• I slipped through a pair of curtains and strolled around the Economy cabin...

This was quite a full flight today, but the Y cabin, laid out 2-4-2, felt spacious and open...

I thought the cabin ambience on this A350 was very good, whether you were in Economy or Business...

Comment

• It was now time for the refreshment meal service...

A meal tray, covered with a crisp white tablecloth, was gently placed in front of me...

"Good morning, Mr yflyer! Would you like the noodles or the pie for your refreshment?"

"I'll have the noodles please!"

I accompanied the noodles with the Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc...

This dish really hit the spot...

The noodle texture was decent, with generously sized prawns...

While the noodles paired well with the Sauvignon Blanc, I could not resist also trying the Stonier Chardonnay...

Yum...

Mrs yflyer decided on the chicken and mushroom pie, and she was quite happy with it too...

Last edited by yflyer; 14 August 2022, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• One nice thing about flying from MEL or SYD to SIN...often times the route passes close to, or even directly over, Uluru (Ayers Rock)...

If weather conditions are right, great views of Uluru can be had from the plane. On a previous flight many years go, the QF pilot announced over the PA that we were passing over Uluru, and in my hazy recollection (These were the days before TRs and iPhones) I caught a glimpse of Uluru, in bright red, far below...

Since that time, I've always hoped to snap a picture of Uluru from cruising altitude...would I get lucky today?

I kept my fingers crossed that 1) I would be on the correct side of the plane and 2) the clouds blanketing the sky would clear up as we approached...

Unfortunately, while I appeared to be on the correct side of the plane, there was massive cloud cover in the area, all I could see was cloud...

Based on the map, Uluru was somewhere down there, but once again, on this flight at least, no joy...nothing was visible at all ...

Last edited by yflyer; 11 August 2022, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• Just a little disappointed at being thwarted again when it came to sighting Uluru from the air, I turned to Krisworld to pass time...

I spent time watching tree CNA documentary "Inside Maximum Security", which I believe was the first time any programme had shed light on how prisoners served their sentences in Changi Prison.

I found this to be an eye-opening, even gripping programme, which offered a glimpse into the lives of both those serving out their sentences, as well as the prison staff. While there is no glossing over the fact that prison life is extremely hard, the show did have an optimistic side showing how some prisoners made good use of their time by keeping fit and studying for examinations, and improved themselves while awaiting release. I found myself empathising with some of the inmates and rooting for them as their date of release approached. A great programme to watch. Outside of SQ's Krisworld, this programme is currently also on Netflix.

There were many other great Singapore films on Krisworld, including "Apprentice", coincidentally also on the theme of prison, and the death penalty...

I watched this show years ago, also inflight, and was gripped by the (fictitious) storyline of a corrections officer understudying the executioner, who years ago had presided over the hanging of his father...

On a lighter note, other Singapore movies available were Jack Neo's comedy classics, including "I Not Stupid", "Liang Po Po", and the 4th installment of the "Ah Boys to Men" series...

Another series I've always enjoyed is "Amazing Hotels: life Beyond the Lobby" where hosts Monica and Giles travel the world visiting remarkable and iconic hotels, not just as guests, but as members of the staff going about serving customers as waiters, housekeepers and guides.

Last edited by yflyer; 12 August 2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Much of the flight took place over Australia...apart from the IFE, I spent my time checking out the ever changing views out the window, and also sampling more of the drinks on the menu.

I indulged in a Singapore Sling...

It was very nicely done, and served with a packet of nuts (The days of warmed nuts served in a porcelain dish are unfortunately long gone...).

Some of the views out the window...

What a marvellous, varied landscape...

Things got really interesting as we reached the northwestern coast of Australia, close to the town of Broome...

Even the names of the places evoked hints of its history...

Names like "Buccaneer Archipelago", "Compass Hill", "Point Torment" gave hints of what happened when early settlers arrived...

The region was still splendidly isolated...

...but even here there were many signs that people had made this place home, or at the very least, a place to work...

We crossed the coastline....

..and were now over the Indian Ocean...

...with about 3 hours left to run...

Last edited by yflyer; 14 August 2022, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Two and a half hours prior to arrival, the cabin crew began lunch service...

At that time, we were about to fly over Indonesia, with a flight path that would take us close to Bali and Surabaya...

Unlike the earlier refreshment, where a tray was placed on the unadorned tray table, this was lunch service with the full works. It began with a large white tablecloth draped over the tray table...

A choice of bread from a bread basket...

The starter was smoked salmon salad...

This was quite delicious, especially when paired with the Stonier Chardonnay...

Last edited by yflyer; 14 August 2022, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• I asked for a glass of the Rioja to pair with my main course.

There were three choices of main on the lunch menu...

The Braised Beef Cheek was a creation of Culinary Panel member, Matt Moran of Aria Restaurant in Sydney. Mrs yflyer decided to order that, while I had previously selected a BTC option, simply named "Grilled Beef with Green Peppercorn Sauce".

We thought it would be interesting to try one of each beef dish, to see how the regular BTC beef course fared, in comparison to a Culinary Panel creation.

Mrs yflyer's dish was Matt Moran's Braised Beef Cheek.

She cut me a piece to try...

Not bad I thought, quite flavourful, but perhaps a little on the dry side. I thought this was a decent dish, but not as inspired as some other Culinary Panel creations I had tried in the past.

Mrs yflyer thought the Braised Beef Cheek was ok, but when she saw what I had ordered, she said she experienced a great deal of steak envy...

My BTC steak looked simply magnificent...

This was everything an airline meal should be...a beautifully presented dish, with everything looking moist and juicy.

This was near perfect...the steak was tender and flavourful...

I would have been happy with this steak on the ground. And regulars will know how fussy I am with steak! Two thumbs up!

Comment

• By then we were over Bali...

Nice views of the Alas Purwo National Park, on the Eastern tip of the island of Java, just West of Bali...

...as well as the coastline of East Java, east of Surabaya...

Our IFM came by with the dessert and cheese trolley...

"Would you like some cheese or dessert, Mr yflyer?"

Hmmm...which to choose...

Sensing my indecision, he continued, "You can have one of each! We have more than enough..."

"That's a great idea!", I replied...

They were both very good...

To round off my meal, I also had the cheese platter...

Which I paired with the Kopke 10 year old Tawny Port...

This was good stuff...

I made a note to sample different bottlings of Port the next time I was in Portugal...

Comment

Working...
                                X