Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Return to Travel: To Barcelona on Singapore Airlines SQ378/377 SIN-BCN-SIN (Y)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MEL-World View Post
    Great TR. Many thanks for all the work, especially the excellent photos.
    Thanks for reading, MEL-World! All pics taken with an iPhone 8+ which is long overdue for an upgrade...

Originally posted by KC* View Post
    I was off travelling (ie no travelling - hahaha) and was so busy that I did not even have time to visit SQTalk for almost 2yrs.

Finally decided to pop in and what a wonderful welcome back for me - reading this TR that re-stimulated my appetite for travel.

An excellent trip report as always. Lots of nice photos and info that matters.

Thank you so much, yflyer!!!
    Thanks for reading, KC*! I too didn't spend a lot of time on SQTalk over the past 2 years, but in recent weeks have been back a lot more, as travel is now starting to pick up again!

Comment

Great TR as always, yflyer.
      Thoroughly enjoyed the pictures as well.

Comment

Thanks for yet another great trip report. You kind of know the world is getting back to to normal when Yflyer is back travelling (in economy) and writing a great report on it

Comment

How time flies! It is great to read another yflyer report after 2 years!

This TR reminds me of my own experience on SQ378 pre-COVID. The footrests no longer exist in all Y cabins, and SQ's Y meals look really sad compared to the likes of EK and QR.

I guess SQ has responded to constant calls for greater differentiation between the PY and Y meals. PY meals are now pre-COVID Y meals, and Y meals are now trays that have too much space and too little food on it. I wonder if this is going to be a permanent feature in Y?

I did not miss flying one bit during this past 2 years. But as countries open up, and more and more friends resume holidays overseas, the itch to fly is coming back. I've browsed enough Youtube TRs to slowly come to the realization that SQ's Y product has been trimmed so significantly that it no longer makes sense to go out of my way to fly them. I find myself increasingly attracted to EK's Y product (meals and better leg room) - and it gives me a semblance of what flying in Y used to be like pre-COVID. As much as I dislike the transit experience in DXB T3, I've decided that my next trip outside Asia will be on EK (or even QR).

When I last flew SQ378, I was curious what the crew operating pattern was (my return flight from BCN was via FRA). I guess the crew basically do a day trip on MXP-BCN-MXP and return to SIN on the next MXP-SIN flight.

Once again, looking forward to more TR from you. You've been missed!

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
            Great TR as always, yflyer.
            Thoroughly enjoyed the pictures as well.
            Thanks, StarG! All pics taken with an iPhone 8+ ! But I've just swapped that for an iPhone 12 so let's see if anyone notices anything different with the pics in my next TR!

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
            Thanks for yet another great trip report. You kind of know the world is getting back to to normal when Yflyer is back travelling (in economy) and writing a great report on it
            Thanks, Lobster! Great to hear from you! Yes it does look like things are getting back to normal, aren't they! And they've just announced easing of the COVID restrictions in Singapore too! We can finally dine out in groups of up to 10 (Previously 5) and best of all, the restrictions on alcohol after 10.30pm and on live music have been dropped!

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
            How time flies! It is great to read another yflyer report after 2 years!
            Thanks, icn.sg! It is great to hear from you too. Yes 2 long years and yet it does seem to have flown by very quickly...

I did not miss flying one bit during this past 2 years. But as countries open up, and more and more friends resume holidays overseas, the itch to fly is coming back.
            About time to start flying again, icn.sg! I was so pleased with how my BCN trip went that I have already booked a holiday to Australia next month with Mrs yflyer. As they say in Singapore, "mai tu liao" :-)

This TR reminds me of my own experience on SQ378 pre-COVID. The footrests no longer exist in all Y cabins, and SQ's Y meals look really sad compared to the likes of EK and QR.
            I've browsed enough Youtube TRs to slowly come to the realization that SQ's Y product has been trimmed so significantly that it no longer makes sense to go out of my way to fly them. I find myself increasingly attracted to EK's Y product (meals and better leg room) - and it gives me a semblance of what flying in Y used to be like pre-COVID. As much as I dislike the transit experience in DXB T3, I've decided that my next trip outside Asia will be on EK (or even QR).
            While I like QR Y and EK Y (except on their 777 sardine cans), I somehow still prefer SQ Y. Agree that SQ has cut back on Y service, but I am hoping some of the cuts are COVID related, as they did go through a rough patch. Hope they reinstate some perks, like hot towels.

Once again, looking forward to more TR from you. You've been missed!
            Thanks again, icn.sg!

Comment

Very nice reading your TR again.

I am actually reading this in my hotel room in Barcelona. My 2nd trip in 2 years (was in BCN in Nov 21 also).

Like you, I missed the MWC 2 years ago and I had to give the latest a miss too as I went for a back surgery in January and wasn't fit to fly until this week.

At the start of covid, it felt very awkward as I was so used to travelling on work trips (once a month minimum and at times twice a month). In 2019, I was on the plane 73x and in 2020 Jan and Feb I was already out on 2 separate trips with 10 flights in between. As time went by, I started to really enjoy the time I had at home and importantly the relationship with my boys improved greatly. We went for many staycations and many had so excursions.

Now.. I am already so used to staying home but as restrictions eased up and life returning to normal (slowly), its also time for me to start travelling again. I know for sure I will never want to break my record ever again as truth is many trips can be delayed or even replaced with teleconferences.

In the past, transit were like changing buses and were part and parcel of work trips.. This time round I find it a real hassle, SIN - FRA - VIE - ZUR - BCN - MXP - SIN. Can't wait to finish up tomorrow so I can head back on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Lennyberg View Post
                Very nice reading your TR again.
                Thanks for reading, Lennyberg!

am actually reading this in my hotel room in Barcelona. My 2nd trip in 2 years (was in BCN in Nov 21 also).

Like you, I missed the MWC 2 years ago and I had to give the latest a miss too as I went for a back surgery in January and wasn't fit to fly until this week.
                Enjoy Barcelona! You've picked a lovely time to be there! Great weather, and things have opened up again. It was so lively when I was there, especially the beach.

Glad that you are fit to fly again after your back surgery!

At the start of covid, it felt very awkward as I was so used to travelling on work trips (once a month minimum and at times twice a month). In 2019, I was on the plane 73x and in 2020 Jan and Feb I was already out on 2 separate trips with 10 flights in between. As time went by, I started to really enjoy the time I had at home and importantly the relationship with my boys improved greatly. We went for many staycations and many had so excursions.

Now.. I am already so used to staying home but as restrictions eased up and life returning to normal (slowly), its also time for me to start travelling again. I know for sure I will never want to break my record ever again as truth is many trips can be delayed or even replaced with teleconferences.
                I am not sure if I can go back to my old travel schedule either...it has been quite an amazing experience to transition from life on the road to staying pretty much at home throughout. I've managd to spend a lot more time with the family as well, and I am enjoying it.

n the past, transit were like changing buses and were part and parcel of work trips.. This time round I find it a real hassle, SIN - FRA - VIE - ZUR - BCN - MXP - SIN. Can't wait to finish up tomorrow so I can head back on Friday.
                Wow that looks like a gruelling flight schedule! On the other hand, these are all wonderful cities to visit, so I hope you saw more than the airport in these cities!

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post

Thanks for reading, Lennyberg!

Enjoy Barcelona! You've picked a lovely time to be there! Great weather, and things have opened up again. It was so lively when I was there, especially the beach.

Glad that you are fit to fly again after your back surgery!

I am not sure if I can go back to my old travel schedule either...it has been quite an amazing experience to transition from life on the road to staying pretty much at home throughout. I've managd to spend a lot more time with the family as well, and I am enjoying it.

Wow that looks like a gruelling flight schedule! On the other hand, these are all wonderful cities to visit, so I hope you saw more than the airport in these cities!
                  Yupz. Luckily I spent some time in Vienna. Nice quiet but expensive city.

Next month, I'll jump on the SIN-JFK/EWR once again.

Comment

Great to see your Trip Reports again yflyer. Can't wait to fly again myself.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
                      Great to see your Trip Reports again yflyer. Can't wait to fly again myself.
                      Thanks, SQ218! Looking forward to the next trip as well, coming up soon!

Comment

Working...
                      X