Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Return to Travel: To Barcelona on Singapore Airlines SQ378/377 SIN-BCN-SIN (Y)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I passed through Business Class, laid out 1-2-1...

This was an excellent J seat product, which I had previously tried on the 77WR/77WN...

I would have upgraded myself to J, with either points or even cash, but alas this was a full flight in J (Many execs in Singapore tend to fly to MWC in J, so this cabin fills up fast), so this was not an option...

Next, I passed through the Premium Economy (PEY) cabin...

...which was laid out 2-4-2.

While this is a decent cabin product, I don't think PEY on SQ's A359 is sufficiently differented from Y. The fact that it is 2-4-2 in PEY vs 3-3-3 in Y should tell you all you need to know about the difference (Or lack of difference...) between PEY and Y cabins on this aircraft. It doesn't help that SQ's PEY catering isn't much different from Y catering either. By contrast SQ's PEY on the A380 and 77WR are better differentiated fron Y, with a different, larger PEY seat frame. I quite like PEY on SQ's A380 and 77WR, but am not a big fan of SQ's A359 PEY.
    Last edited by yflyer; 6 March 2022, 11:44 PM.

Comment

And then I was in the Y cabin...

What a sight for sore eyes...

I think I must have spent more time in SQ Y than anywhere else...it felt like home...

I have written TR's about this cabin product on many occasions, but after a 2 year hiatus, a quick recap would not be out of place...

This is a very comfortable Y cabin, laid out 3-3-3.

The emex/bulkhead row seats at row 47 have extra legroom...

...and the row 48 window seats at 48A and 48K, have no seat in front of them either, making them very desirable Y seats indeed...

Comment

My seat was an aisle seat in the middle bank of 3, towards the rear of the aircraft. Note the large windows which gave the cabin an open, airy feel...

Legroom was pretty decent by Y standards...

Each seat had a headrest with adjustable wings...

Seat recline was as good as it gets in Y, with the seat base pivoting forward to a very comfortable angle for resting...

There were no underseat obstructions, however, therewere no longer any footrests in Y.

While SQ's Y footrests have had mixed reviews, I for one will miss them, as I did use them to get into a comfotable resting/sleeping position. I understand why this was done (Less weight = more fuel economy), and I do have a workaround: I place my backpack under the seat and use that as a footrest instead...

As for seat width, I could no longer do the seat width magazine measurement (tm) as there were no longer any physical magazines onboard (!). It was just a safety card and an airsick bag. Oh well...

Comment

Each seat back had a large high definition widescreen display...

I would recommend logging in with your Krisflyer number (No password required) as this would give you access to additional programmes and content.

There was a great selection of movies, TV and music available on Krisworld...

Apart from the main display, there is a detachable handheld controller which can be used to select common functions...

While I didn't use it much, I did appreciate that it had a light button, and volume + and - buttons, which were much easier to use than trying to adjust volume on the touchscreen.

USB charging was available. The headphone socket was the 2-prong airline style socket. Be sure to bring your own airline headphone adapter, and use your own earphones/headphones, as the earbuds SQ offer are really terrible.

I would recommend bringing your own USB cable along, and using it to charge your mobile phone or tablet during the flight.

A/C power was also available....

Comment

Each seat had a foldable tray table...

...which came with a vanity mirror...

Comment

No recline restrictions for the last row of seats in the cabin...

Comment

There were 4 lavatories for the Y cabin, all situated in the middle section of the Y cabin.

Light coloured counter tops...

Amenities...

There was one lavatory in the rear of the aircraft, but it was reserved for crew use only.

There were bottles of hand sanitizer mounted outside the lavs...

Comment

While waiting for the boarding process to complete, I checked out the online options available on this flight...

To make the most of your flight, it looks important to access the onboard wifi with your tablet or mobile device.

After logging onto onboard wifi, you could scan the QR codes on the back of your care pack to access inflight menus, inflight wifi and the lnflight SilverKris magazine...

Menus were only available on your own device, via wifi. I was surprised that SQ didn't also put menus on their IFE, which is something airlines like Thai or Finnair do.

Once you joined the inflight wifi network and scanned the QR code, you gave your flight details...

...and specified your sectors...

You could then view the menus and amenities available for the flight.

I found gaining access to these sites fairly straightforward, but I did worry about how the elderly, or less IT-literate passengers would cope with all this technology, just for the simple task of perusing the menu...

Comment

Here was the meal service format for this flight. We would have supper, followed by breakfast, with snacks on demand in between...

The supper menu...

Snacks...

...and breakfast...

The beverage menu looked decent, but was too high level in terms of specific bevrages on offer...

Available amenites were also listed in the app...

There was also an online SilverKris magazine...

Comment

By then, the aircraft was ready for take-off...

The safety video was played...

A short taxi, followed by a powerful, yet quiet take-off...

A 12 hour 40 minute flight to Milan today...

To be continued!

Comment

Great to see you back in the sky, yflyer!

Looking forward to the BCN photos.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your journey with us yflyer.
                          Travel has changed for now. Hopefully things will continue to improve in the next weeks & months!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                            Great to see you back in the sky, yflyer!

Looking forward to the BCN photos.
                            Originally posted by StarG View Post
                            Thank you for taking the time to share your journey with us yflyer.
                            Travel has changed for now. Hopefully things will continue to improve in the next weeks & months!
                            Thanks CarbonMan and StarG! It's really great to be back, and I'm very optimistic that the situation will continue to improve in coming days!

Comment

Continuing with the TR...

I leaned back, relaxed, and just enjoyed the feeling of being in the air again. My transit stop in Milan was over 12 hours away, that would be more than enough time to get myself reacquainted with the pleasures of long haul travel on SQ...

Cabin service began from the front, starting first with PEY pax...

Comment

I checked out the IFE...which came with a state-of-the-art widescreen touchscreen display...

The IFE selections were very comprehensive...a huge selection of movies, TV and music.

The selections were very current, with many of the latest Hollywood blockbusters, including movies like Dune, No Time to Die and Shang Chi.

There was also live TV available, mainly news channels...

That night, it was endless news about Ukraine...

I am a fan of travel programs, and there were quite a few, including an episode of that wonderful series Amazing Hotels: Life Beyond the Lobby...

There were also two episodes of Anthony Bourdain's series Parts Unknown. It has been several years since his untimely passing, but I still watch and rewatch episodes of his shows, which just go so much deeper, and engage the viewer so much more than your typical travel show...

A new series which I have also found very watchable is "Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy", where he explores Italian cuisine...

Picture and sound quality were both excellent (As long as you used your own headphones, with adapter)...

Comment

Working...
                                X