Beating jetlag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My own research...
    People who don't need alarm clocks to wake up at home suffer jet lag more. Like me
    People who are early to bed and early to rise also suffer. Like me
    Flying East is worse for jet lag
    Having a full work schedule on arrival at destination helps get over jet lag
    I've asked many people and they generally follow these guidelines

Comment

My Tips for helping with jet lag: (from my Too much flying? post http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11997)

1.) Drink plenty of water an hour before your flight and drink plenty of water on board.

2.) If you're travelling east go to bed earlier (If you would go to bed at 11pm, make it 10pm) for a couple of nights. If you're travelling west just do it the other way round. (you probably will not get much sleep, but just try)

3.) Have a early night the day before the flight, if you can.

4.) Exercise while on the plane, walk around the plane a lot. (If you have been doing step 1 you should be doing this alot anyway )

5.) Go to the gym when you arrive or take a long walk.

6.) Try to get into the daily routine of the new time zone as soon as possible. Eat, sleep (taking step 2 into account) and get up when everone else does in that time zone.

7.) On long trips take a multivitamin before and after the flight.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        My own research...
        People who don't need alarm clocks to wake up at home suffer jet lag more. Like me
        People who are early to bed and early to rise also suffer. Like me
        Flying East is worse for jet lag
        Having a full work schedule on arrival at destination helps get over jet lag
        I've asked many people and they generally follow these guidelines
        I share some of your comments being one of those who have no problems sleeping but waking up prematurely because of my internal alarm clock. My travels are mostly SIN to LHR/EWR/IAH/GVA, which means skipping quite a few time zones.

I try to follow the following:
        - I try to land in the evening so that I can rest a night before work.
        - If I land in the day, do something physical like walking, shopping or photography till about 9pm - anything but sitting down in the hotel room. I try not to work, as my mind is too zoned out.
        - I adjust my eating habits and waking/sleeping hours to the destination the moment I get onboard the plane.
        - Keep a stash of stilnox cr in the event I wake up prematurely (usually at 2-3am)

Comment

Do you guys know that it has been scientifically debunked that jet lag is nothing more than a state of mind of the person experiencing it. The early roots of it even coming from those early people who are able to fly through airplanes and their bid of letting the other party know that they just came from a flight.

Though a good rest would be able to alleviate the feeling of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by ihuffman View Post
            Do you guys know that it has been scientifically debunked that jet lag is nothing more than a state of mind of the person experiencing it. The early roots of it even coming from those early people who are able to fly through airplanes and their bid of letting the other party know that they just came from a flight.

Though a good rest would be able to alleviate the feeling of yours.
            Can you please refer us to any material that states this?

Comment

9V-SIA's theory of the internal body clock sounds plausible. Since I do not have one, I fall asleep really easily anytime and anywhere, I do not have a problem with jetlag.

Carbon Man, you should not really be advocating the use of stilnox. Is Melatonin still used these days? It was once very fashionable to use Melatonin for jetlag. Melatonin is used by the NHS to help some naughty children fall asleep so I guess it works.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                Carbon Man, you should not really be advocating the use of stilnox. Is Melatonin still used these days? It was once very fashionable to use Melatonin for jetlag. Melatonin is used by the NHS to help some naughty children fall asleep so I guess it works.
                Thanks, Phaleesy, for reminding me. Here's the note of caution:

Stilnox is a prescribed drug (at least in the US and Singapore), it should only be taken for a short duration. The officialese on this is "Zolpidem 10 mg is effective in treating insomnia when used intermittently no fewer than three and no more than five pills per week for a period of 12 weeks." But most of the time I only take it 3 nights straight when I arrive at a destination (Americas or Europe - won't take it in Asia). Relative to other "sleeping" pills, I personally, feel less side effects and lower addiction possibilities but a massive dose, like all other pills of the same class, will cause death. BUT I AM NOT A PHYSICIAN. Go see you doctor for advice. Different people have different reaction to drugs.

As for Melatonin, I also have it in my private stash! The problem with it is that it is mild; only effective, FOR ME, when I'm mildly sleepy. Most of the time I need a double dose to if I need 3 hours of sleep. My wife on the other hand, will find Melatonin like chewing M&Ms - hardly any effect.

Comment

An update on jetlag from BBC's Fast Track program, for those whose travel usually across multiple timezones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ms1zn

Comment

Need some advice. I fly back from Munich via Bangkok to Singapore and arrive in the evening (around 9pm)

My flight departs Munich around 9PM as well. It reaches Bangkok the next day at about 2pm before connecting to Singapore.

Should I sleep on the Munich leg?

My best friend's wedding is the next day after I land an am worried I won't wake up in time! Thanks for any advice
                    drink Coke...save water

Comment

Originally posted by JWNY View Post
                      Need some advice. I fly back from Munich via Bangkok to Singapore and arrive in the evening (around 9pm)

My flight departs Munich around 9PM as well. It reaches Bangkok the next day at about 2pm before connecting to Singapore.

Should I sleep on the Munich leg?

My best friend's wedding is the next day after I land an am worried I won't wake up in time! Thanks for any advice
                      Ive taken TG925 before and I would definitely try to sleep on this leg. Stay up in BKK and on the flight to SIN and you should be fine.

Comment

JWNY, I would agree with BerryFusion. By the time you get on the plane, you would be tired from the day; I don't think you should "hang on" and stay awake. If you stay awake from BKK, you should be tired enough to go to bed by 11pm in SIN (but not before 9pm) and wake up fresh for the wedding.

My biggest problem is usually the second night, but I'm sure you'll have sufficient booze that evening to send you to slumberland.

Comment

Thanks guys. What do I do without you all
                          drink Coke...save water

Comment

Working...
                          X