• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caravelle View Post
    My LH 747-8 flight from SIN - FRA.
    Nice! I miss that staircase!

Comment

Even though for the past decade I have grown to love & used to smaller long haul birds like the 787. 77W, and A359 (still know nowadays that can be interchanged with the 77W or 787 like on CX often), there's a chance (and a chance, don't hold your breath) I will be going to BLR for a relative's wedding this Spring (Date: TBD).

Looking at the fares, LH from SFO-BLR-SFO is the cheapest and they operate the Boeing 747-8i from SFO-FRA, and FRA-BLR, surprisingly by the Boeing 747-400. If I get to fly LH that way, it would be a treat as the last time I flew a 747 was back in 2009.

However, at the same time, I would prefer the 77W or 787. The main reason is not really the price, but it's now the fact that since SQ long haul flights are too long without the 1-stop option from SFO now, my mom & I would prefer to break the flight into 2 short flights (i.e. 11-8, 10-9, etc) like JL as after her upcoming surgery she can travel but she does not want to travel ultra long haul. Unlike the time when I was a kid and a 747 person, I'm more of the 77W person now (any 777 is fine, too) & fine with the 787 too.

Comment

Just booked LH779 SIN-FRA as part of a trip to Spain in March. Will finally get to try Lufthansa's 747-8! Really looking forward to it! Never thought I would have another opportunity to ffy the "Queen of the Skies" in this lifetime, but thankfullly LH decided to deploy their 747-8 on the SIN-FRA route!

There some really good deals oh Lufthansa to Europe via FRA. Some even better deals to European cities via MUC, but those are operated by Airbus A350's. The A350 is a great aircraft to fly in, but the 747 is special. I went out of my way to plan an itinerary that included Lufthansa's 747-8. it did help that the airfares were pretty good as well for the dates I wanted.

Flying SIN-FRA-BCN on LH. My return is MAD-ZRH-SIN on an LH Codeshare with Swiss, booked on the LH website.

As a bonus, I also get to check out the Swiss Airbus A220 on the MAD-ZRH sector. If all goes according to plan, expect a TR some time in April :-)
        Last edited by yflyer; 9 March 2023, 06:13 AM.

Comment

yflyer, I wish you a wonderful flight to FRA. Do take note that that LH inflight entertainment (English options) is really limited (ie. bad), except for its Deutsch selections. Do load up your movies/music on your personal devices before you board.

Comment

yflyer, I wish you a wonderful flight to FRA. Do take note that that LH inflight entertainment (English options) is really limited (ie. bad), except for its Deutsch selections. Do load up your movies/music on your personal devices before you board.
            Thanks, Caravelle! I had a great flight on LH779 to Frankfurt earlier this week!

It was so nice to be flying on the Queen of the Skies again!

I didn't think that I would be able to fly on the upper deck of a 747 again in my lifetime...

My original ticket was an inexpensive Y ticket, but I bid for an upgrade and scored a good deal for a one-way J upgrade on the SIN-FRA sector...

I enjoyed my flight immensely...LH has a good J product...not perfect, but what airline is, and this was LH's current J product, not the recently announced Allegris J product. With my recent SQ A380 J SIN-FRA flight fresh in my mind, I could not resist making comparisons, but not all were in SQ's or the A380's favour...

You were right about LH's IFE, Caravelle...the programme selection was ok, but a bit limited, not to mention much smaller than SQ's seemingly infinite Krisworld selection...but it was an overnight flight, where I spent most of my time asleep, so that didn't matter too much.

So grateful to LH for operating the 747-8 on the SIN-FRA sector!

I connected from FRA to BCN, making the 70 min connection just in time (and my luggage made it too!), and after a day in Barcelona caught a train to San Sebastian, where I am now, and where I will be spending the next few days. More on that in an upcoming TR!

Comment

yflyer, I was in San Sebestian last May. Visit the iconic Maria Cristina Hotel, San Sebastián and have drinks at the Dry Bar. Try to request for the coveted “Bette Davis” table - yes, she drank seated here - 3 days before her passing. If you get the time, take the bus to Hondarribia, the best kept secret in the Basque region. You can also hop over to St-Jean-Du-Luz (France) from Hondarribia.

Comment

yflyer, I was in San Sebestian last May. Visit the iconic Maria Cristina Hotel, San Sebastián and have drinks at the Dry Bar. Try to request for the coveted “Bette Davis” table - yes, she drank seated here - 3 days before her passing. If you get the time, take the bus to Hondarribia, the best kept secret in the Basque region. You can also hop over to St-Jean-Du-Luz (France) from Hondarribia.
                Thanks, Caravelle! I jogged past the Maria Cristina yesterday, but the Dry Bar was not on my radar! Will try to check it out this evening!

Comment

The upper deck looks nice.

Things are now in a limbo since my last post so even if I do not fly the 747-8i to FRA/India, it may be a consideration for a future Europe trip as LH does fly to SFO and the timings to/from FRA are very reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                    The upper deck looks nice.
                    No place quite like it on any other aircraft! The A380 upper deck is nice, but it's just another aircraft cabin, and does not have the intimate feel of the 747 upper deck.

Comment

Managed to visit the Dry Bar at the Maria Cristina. Nice place with great bartenders!

Thanks for the recommendation, Caravelle!

Comment

Just completed the trip report for my recent trip to Spain, where I flew LH779 from Singapore to Frankfurt on the 747-8. Thanks for posting here that LH is now flying the 747-8 on the SIN-FRA sector, Caravelle!

Comment

Working...
                        X