Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeithMEL
    replied
    I've not stayed at the W Hollywood, but even though it looks like a really nice property, I dislike Hollywood proper thoroughly. Andaz as suggested has a better location on Sunset in the middle of great restaurants and nightlife, and has a similar trendy vibe to W. Or the Mondrian, also on Sunset.

No experience of SLS but it does look like an interesting property. La Cienega is good for restaurants.

I love the W Westwood but Westwood isn't the best locale if you're only there for 1 night. It's a primarily residential area.

Both Ws (and also the SLS IIRC but don't quote me on that) offer complimentary one way chauffeur services.

Santa Monica is approximately 30 minutes away from the West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. The Huntley is one of my faves. But if sticking to SPG there's also a Sheraton in Santa Monica.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 28 February 2011, 07:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MAN Flyer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    Would be for a one-night stay, and something with great nightlife or a famous bar (nearby/outside also given due consideration) would be awesome...
    With this criteria I would strongly recommend the Andaz on Sunset. I know you don't have status with Hyatt but sometimes it is worth having a day off from our points and status 'obsession' (something I should do a lot more myself, I hasten to add...) and look around.

The Andaz is right in the thick of the action in that end of town, and when we had four rooms for a few days last year it was probably my favourite hotel stay of the year, and as you are aware I stay in a lot of hotels and get very well looked after in a few of them.

Leave a comment:

• HUGE AL
    replied
    And no, I don't consider this juicy tidbit a review:
    Oh, but it is!

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
    Much as HUGE AL is a bro, and much as he dissed me for staying at W Westwood recently, i did NOT have a bad experience there. It was fine and I much prefer Westwood to Hollywood.
    OH, but there is a back story he's leaving out here.

And...for the price that HOLE charges (2/3 the price of the Pen), there are MANY other options.

Granted, if you want to walk to UCLA, there's no better option.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
    Kyo+, consider also whether you will be driving and how you will be getting around. Location, aside from the pros and cons of each property, is particularly important in LA.
    This is good advice. If you plan on spending lots of time in Hollywood, then having a hotel there would make life a whole lot easier.

Leave a comment:

• milehighj
    replied
    Much as HUGE AL is a bro, and much as he dissed me for staying at W Westwood recently, i did NOT have a bad experience there. It was fine and I much prefer Westwood to Hollywood.

Kyo+, consider also whether you will be driving and how you will be getting around. Location, aside from the pros and cons of each property, is particularly important in LA.

Leave a comment:

• Kyo
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestion, 9V-JKL (we'll have our own set of wheels as mostly doing a road trip).

Just realised I have two more Q3FNs and someone's kindly suggested the Hilton Beverly Hills privately, so that looks like a done deal! Alas, W Hollywood may have to wait til another day... thinking of other SPG hotels in other Californian cities, might also still be needing this later down the trip on LA so all suggestions still welcome

Leave a comment:

• 9V-JKL
    replied
    If Santa Monica ain't that far away, we can also consider that, I suppose...

Any Hilton properties worth a mention?

Might not do the airport hotels, after further consideration...
    HGI LAX is a nice resonably priced place. You can take the small rail to Santa Monica from just outside the hotel. Whenever I overnight in LAX, I stay there.

Leave a comment:

• Kyo
    replied
    Dude, that was back in 2009 - furthermore, the review was by our esteemed nursalimLPP *ahem*

And no, I don't consider this juicy tidbit a review:
    The SLS is charging way too much for what it is. The fact that I can't fit 3 people in my shower kind of is a deal breaker for me.
    Because there will be 2 people, and I prefer a jacuzzi or bathtub.

Fine - we're not doing the SLS then, and swinging towards the W Hollywood (Drai's, as you mentioned might work, and bookings should be available this far in advance). (edit, actually after reading that review in its entirety on FT, now I'm not so sure what to do!)

If Santa Monica ain't that far away, we can also consider that, I suppose...

Any Hilton properties worth a mention?

Might not do the airport hotels, after further consideration...

Leave a comment:

• HUGE AL
    replied
    I'm tossing up between W Hollywood and SLS, anyone got a current viewpoint about which one to go for? Would be for a one-night stay, and something with great nightlife or a famous bar (nearby/outside also given due consideration) would be awesome...
    Did you NOT read above?! SLS is a total POS. Service was almost as bad as the W Westwood! And the rooms are small and nothing to write home about. W Hollywood has Drai's -- however, hotel guests have no pull there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13571416-post120.html

Also, any thoughts on the Westin LA Airport? Am thinking of maybe staying one night for convenience... unless there's something else nearby that's worth a mention from Hilton or SPG...
    If you really enjoy a trip back to the '70s (complete with the bong smell), then the Westin LAX is for you. On the other hand, if you'd like a NICE property, go across the street to the Sheraton -- which, strangely, is around the same price.

Leave a comment:

• Kyo
    replied
    I'm tossing up between W Hollywood and SLS, anyone got a current viewpoint about which one to go for? Would be for a one-night stay, and something with great nightlife or a famous bar (nearby/outside also given due consideration) would be awesome...

Also, any thoughts on the Westin LA Airport? Am thinking of maybe staying one night for convenience... unless there's something else nearby that's worth a mention from Hilton or SPG...

Leave a comment:

• HUGE AL
    replied
    Originally posted by zander View Post
    I wonder what HUGE AL is up to during his hotel stays
    Sorry, zander. Only females allowed.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
    But we only had, what, 2-3 bottles? And that horrid cough syrup mixture I got.

And is it really further from W to WeHo/BH than Santa Monica? I remember paying only like $16 max for a cab to WeHo, and quite a bit more to Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey/Playa Del Rey etc.
    Oh yeah! Did you finish that cough syrup YOU ORDERED?

Santa Monica, yes. PDR, no...but u didn't mention THAT above...

Leave a comment:

• KeithMEL
    replied
    Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    I'm surprised you could taste that thing after all the drinks and Champagne we had.
    But we only had, what, 2-3 bottles? And that horrid cough syrup mixture I got.

And is it really further from W to WeHo/BH than Santa Monica? I remember paying only like $16 max for a cab to WeHo, and quite a bit more to Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey/Playa Del Rey etc.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 July 2009, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• zander
    replied
    Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    The SLS is charging way too much for what it is. The fact that I can't fit 3 people in my shower kind of is a deal breaker for me.
    I wonder what HUGE AL is up to during his hotel stays

Leave a comment:

• HUGE AL
    replied
    It is quite a hike to get to the heart of the action in WeHo or Beverly Hills, or 45 mins to Santa Monica and Venice in the East.
    Ummm...Santa Monica and Venice are to the WEST of the W. And Santa Monica is just a hop-skip-and-a-jump next door to Westwood. West Hollywood is MUCH further.

Redeemed it for a ginger mojito at Whiskey Blue - tasty!
    I'm surprised you could taste that thing after all the drinks and Champagne we had.

As we both say, I think we stay at different hotels. The service you rave about is the thing that I think SUCKS ROYAL at this property. Although, I did like the bartender we had.

I too am curious about the W Hollywood as it was built from the ground up and not a refurbed UCLA dorm.

Leave a comment:

• KeithMEL
    replied
    What

W Los Angeles-Westwood

Where

Situated in Westwood Village, this W is in a rather quiet residential area. It is quite a hike to get to the heart of the action in WeHo or Beverly Hills, or 45 mins to Santa Monica and Venice in the East. However the W now offers a free one way limo transfer on an Acura - a nifty joint marketing effort between the W and Acura. Unfortunately I didn't find out about this until the last day or 2 of my stay - have to pay more attention at check in next time.

WoW

The staff of this W are truly gems, and is probably the reason that makes this property worth coming back to.

Priscila the concierge remembered me from my last stay even though that was nearly 18 months ago, though I didn't get to put her skills and resources to the test this time as I was well looked after by friends in LA.

On the 2nd morning of my stay, Jenna from the Welcome Desk sent up a nice card welcoming me to LA, and a complimentary drinks card as they'd "heard" that I liked mojitos. Redeemed it for a ginger mojito at Whiskey Blue - tasty!

The Welcome Desk, Jenna in particular was also pretty good with recomendations and reservations if the concierge wasn't around, as the concierge seems to sign off at 6pm on Sundays. SPG upgrade readily honoured - I got a Fabulous Suite which had a study (which comes with a fold out bed for party guests to crash) in addition to living room and bedroom.

Fabulous Suite - the morning after

The Whatever/Whenever service was prompt and efficient. Phone calls answered promptly, and requests fulfilled without much fuss - ranging from helping to break my lock apart (as it'd gone wonky and refused to open after my last flight) to simple things like champagne glasses. Though they were probably a bit overzealous when they sent security to my room to check if I was still alive and well when I forgot to cancel my wake up call (and was in the shower while they rang up). Still, the concern was appreciated lol.

Hotel had a lively crowd - LA has a v unfortunate 2am closing time, but simply stick around the Living Room and you'd soon be invited to a party or 3 up in one of the suites!

Woe

As previously stated, I don't think this W has done the best job with its refurb. The decor felt rather incomplete (plain ceilings for instance), and mellow - as if they're trying to appeal to everyone. The hallways were too bright which made them feel rather harsh and unwelcoming - it's like in a club when they turn on the lights and play Semisonic to kick you out during closing time. On the whole, I felt that the decor lacked that special 'zing', quirkiness and in-your-face quality that makes Ws W. They probably should've realised that Thom Felicia can't even dress a person properly, let alone design a hotel.

I attended a party at Whiskey and felt it totally overrated. They were totally short staffed, and so the bartenders were all stressed out - refusing to make the more complicated drinks. The acoustics were bad, DJing rather predictable and oh-so-2007. Plus a rather underdressed crowd - felt like a UCLA frat party on the whole.

Also a trivial point - but they could be a bit more creative about the music played in the hotel. It seemed like they played Wonderlust in the lifts over and over again.

so... on the Whole...

The truly amazing staff continue to fly the flag, but this W is let down by a generally uninspired decor and mundane ambience. But with the edgy SLS property and the new W Hollywood coming up - there's no shortage of new things to try in LA!

Leave a comment:

• KeithMEL
    replied
    Originally posted by nursalimLPP View Post
    Starwood needs a luxury brand in los angeles. They got SLS BUT it is garbage piece if crap cheesyyy tacckkkyyy hotel.
    Really? It's supposedly designed by Starck, and looks v edgy and minimalist from the pics. I'd have booked there for July, were it not for the W club scene on a weekend. But I can understand why you don't like it since you are into the St Regis.

Also considering the new Andaz WeHo if I can get a good rate but have some reservations after looking at the pics (despite some VERY enthusiastic reviews about the place ), looks like a more watered down PH than an actual fashion-forward design hotel. Location is MUCH better than Westwood however, all major hangover-inducing spots in the immediate vicinity.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 23 May 2009, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X