• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanghai fatty crab recommendations?

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    Will be starting a Shanghai fatty crab recommendation thread shortly
    What's a Shanghai fatty crab?

Sorry for the OT - A fat Shanghai crab? Okay - I'll admit to rearranging the words around a bit...

Anyway, I hear some hotels there do have access to this particular delicacy especially during September-November!

Comment

Sorry for the OT - A fat Shanghai crab? Okay - I'll admit to rearranging the words around a bit...

Anyway, I hear some hotels there do have access to this particular delicacy especially during September-November!
      Continuing the OT-ness, I find eating it rather unfulfilling. A lot of work for very little return... read as hard work to get to the 'meat' where the 'meat' is a tiny little crab. But that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        Continuing the OT-ness, I find eating it rather unfulfilling. A lot of work for very little return... read as hard work to get to the 'meat' where the 'meat' is a tiny little crab. But that's me.
        In Beijing, I was in a restaurant once and noticed the next table where the customer was sitting reading a newspaper and totally ignoring the waitress who was standing there taking a long time to get the meat out of a crab. I would be too embarrassed if that were me but I guess it's a service which is offered in some places.

Back OT: kyo, why not split your stay then ? Pudong for the days you plan to go to the Expo and Puxi for the rest.

Comment

9V-JKL: I think people go for the overflowing roe, not so much the meat? - I nominate these last few posts to be separated into a new thread in 'Small Talk'

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          In Beijing, I was in a restaurant once and noticed the next table where the customer was sitting reading a newspaper and totally ignoring the waitress who was standing there taking a long time to get the meat out of a crab. I would be too embarrassed if that were me but I guess it's a service which is offered in some places.

Back OT: kyo, why not split your stay then ? Pudong for the days you plan to go to the Expo and Puxi for the rest.
          I'll only barely make it in on the Friday night as flying in from PEK, circa 9pm is my estimate, since we will go straight for dinner first (somewhere with that crab, hopefully!)... so I only have one full day, that being Saturday. Sunday we'll have to be done with lunch around 1PM and out of the hotel by 1:30PM latest. We'll have to cover as much of the Expo as possible on the Saturday.

jhm: I'm not too stressed about not seeing all of Shanghai as the SO tends to come here for work once in awhile, so I'll fly up and have another weekend browse on a future stay. I'm also now seriously anticpating the possibility of coming back one day later as SQ hasn't confirmed my return ticket which is still waitlisted. If I do that, I'll probably switch properties on Sunday night to the SR or Westin just for a stay credit. No harm done. I seriously doubt LRM will put me up for 3 nights in a row in an Imperial or Residential Suite even if the last night's a standard category room rate... with a FWN in the middle.

'Tis a pity.

(my own post reported)
          Last edited by Kyo; 16 August 2010, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Just be sure to get the real ones as there are quite a few counterfeits running around.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            There's actually a technique to eating them which works most of the time...unless you get one just before it's shed its shell. One of the easiest to eat on the planet.

9V-JKL: I think people go for the overflowing roe, not so much the meat?
            Both, actually. Just be sure that if you pay for a female, be sure you get a female.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Just be sure that if you pay for a female, be sure you get a female.
              Such pearls of wisdom!

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                Both, actually. Just be sure that if you pay for a female, be sure you get a female.
                Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                Such pearls of wisdom!
                HUGE, I hope you don't have political ambitions... I imagine that many a career have been taken down by lesser comments...

In fact, closer to home, hope you don't have ambitions to become the CEO of HP...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                  HUGE, I hope you don't have political ambitions... I imagine that many a career have been taken down by lesser comments...

In fact, closer to home, hope you don't have ambitions to become the CEO of HP...
                  Hahahahaha You do know that was intentional, don't you? Besides, I probably couldn't run for many other reasons.

I'll pass on the HP job...I've set my sights on SQ.

At least I didn't say, "...fatty crab..." I was just as puzzled as you!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                  X