Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confirmation of Singapore F1 race on Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmation of Singapore F1 race on Sunday?

By Julian Lim - March 14, 2007
    AsiaOne

The opening race of the Formula One 2007-2008 season in Melbourne this Sunday could come with an announcement that a tentative deal has been reached to bring the world's premiere motor racing tour to Singapore.

F1's top man, Bernie Ecclestone, who stopped over in Singapore on Monday evening, en route to Melbourne, met hotel and property magnate, Ong Beng Seng, who looks set to be the front runner to bring F1 racing to Singapore. Mr Ong's associates have reportedly also flown to Melbourne to work out details of the deal.

The other contender, SUTL Group's Mr Arthur Tay, appears to have fallen behind, despite suggestions that both Mr Ong and Mr Tay had considered a joint proposal at one point. Mr Tay is the man behind the multi-million dollar One Degree 15 Marina on Sentosa Cove.

Even though Mr Ong is involved in the F1 bid in his personal capacity, shares for his listed Hotel Properties Ltd (HPL) Group posted a $0.32 gain to close at $4.52.

According a Business Times report today, one of the clinching factors lies in whether the Singapore government is willing to provide the necessary assurance Mr Ecclestone is seeking.

This, despite Minister of State for Trade & Industry, S. Iswaran's stating the government was "serious" about the idea of hosting an F1 race in Singapore .

The assurance Mr Ecclestone is seeking won't come cheap though.

The Business Times reported that Formula One Management (FOM) wants to be paid the sanction fees for the rights to stage the F1 races here for seven years, and this could amount to a staggering US$250 million.

In addition, the sheer magnitude of logistics needed could push the cost for each race to the range of US$75 million.

In the same BT report, it was mentioned in Parliament that the government would be willing to provide financial support for the staging of an F1 event here and would help provide half the required funding, which is good news for all motorsports enthusiasts here.

So, will we see Fernando Alonso running out in front in his new McLaren Mercedes-Benz, or will Ferrari return with a vengeance, even without the talismanic Michael Schumacher? All will be revealed on Sunday.

real hard that it'll be YES!

BTW, have hotel reservations at http://www.bchoteles.com/sants_in.htm in Barcelona during the Spanish F1 weekend that I wouldn't use. Anyone wants it? Its directly on top of the train station that'll take you to Circuit de Catalunya. PM me

Comment

Well it's good for the economy... but try having roadblocks, crowded trams/trains, long queues in front of ticket machines while clueless tourists sort out their tram/train tickets [on the upside I usually end up not having to pay as it'd be my stop b4 the queue clears ], booked out restaurants etc etc for 3 times over 3 consecutive months. [Australian Open...F1...World Swimming Championships]
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I feel your pain keith, at least singapore would be able to deal with it! fingers crossed it's a yes!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Well it's good for the economy... but try having roadblocks, crowded trams/trains, long queues in front of ticket machines while clueless tourists sort out their tram/train tickets [on the upside I usually end up not having to pay as it'd be my stop b4 the queue clears ], booked out restaurants etc etc for 3 times over 3 consecutive months. [Australian Open...F1...World Swimming Championships]
          Ahh.... what a great place great place great place..... for the race!
          (was the ad campaign for the first race in 1996 after it moved from Adelaide)

subsequent ones went: Are you prixpared?

Comment

Being the F1 fan.....I can deal with it Albert Park's a great place for the track. Drove round it once

Comment

And today - the constant rumble of speeding F1 cars. Cars on the road are not usually this loud so I conclude it's F1 as my house is near Albert Park. Must be the rehearsals I think? Woke me up in time for uni though.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

And today - the constant rumble of speeding F1 cars. Cars on the road are not usually this loud so I conclude it's F1 as my house is near Albert Park. Must be the rehearsals I think? Woke me up in time for uni though.
                There's no on track running on thursday - although they might have turned on the engines to run though. Or, coulda been the hoons/yobbos from Footscray venturing close into Civilization.

Comment

http://cars.grandprix.com.au/site/_c...198-source.pdf
                  http://cars.grandprix.com.au/site/_c...200-source.pdf

The Aussie Racing Cars practice and qualifying were on today.

Comment

Right - i meant F1 running, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      Right - i meant F1 running, sorry.
                      Think that's supposed to happen this weekend? *buys ear plugs*

Comment

Think that's supposed to happen this weekend? *buys ear plugs*
                        Starts tomorrow: (for your benefit, here's the sched)

Friday 16 March:
                        Friday Practice 1: 1000-1130
                        Friday Practice 2: 1400-1530

Saturday 17th March
                        Saturday Practice: 1100-1200
                        Qualifying: 1400-1500

Sunday 18th March
                        Race Proper: 1400 (by race regulations cannot last longer than 2 hours)

Comment

Originally posted by pilotsnoopy View Post
                          By Julian Lim - March 14, 2007
                          AsiaOne

The opening race of the Formula One 2007-2008 season in Melbourne this Sunday could come with an announcement that a tentative deal has been reached to bring the world's premiere motor racing tour to Singapore.

All will be revealed on Sunday.
                          Still no news till today. Wonder if the deal fell through?

Comment

The Singapore Grand Prix has been confirmed and if safety issues can be resolved it will be a night race.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/6646125.stm

Comment

Do any of you know when it will be held?
                              If its held on my summer months or on a school holiday i will forsure fly to Singapore to watch it. Plus I am also a big F1 fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X