Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do in Athens

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
    Just curious, what is FRAPE exactly? What is good to do in Athens as I got to spend a weekend watching TV in the hotel otherwise?
    Lots to see and in Athens!

Depending on where you are staying.. most hotels have a shuttle bus into the city Center. Normal drop off for hotels is near Government house.. where you see changing of the guards. Round here are some great bakeries and also there is a hotel which escapes my mind that servers fantastic lunches (steaks are superb)... just to left across the road from the Govt Building.

You can a walk from here to a number of parks and sites and then stumble across and towards the acropolis. I simply did lots of walking. You will come across the PANATHENAIC STADIUM (ancient olympic stadium), from there you can wander to the The Temple of Olympian Zeus.. plus a number of other sites around there.. from there you go across the road from the ROman Gates towards the Acropolis, virtually underneath are a bunch of tourists shops and nice cafes.. then you can wander around and up to the Acropolis and the areas around it. There is a huge Roman building and temples around which are spectacular. On top of the Acropolis watch for the Gypsies flogging table cloths. Once you have finished seeing the sites you can take a look at the night markets/stores.

Entry if i recall for all the various sites was 25 Euro.

If you have time taking the tram to the south of the city to the Mediterranean sea and the fantastic seafood restaurants. (or by cab for 50Euro oneway).

Outside that if you are staying at the Hilton nothing beats having a room overlooking the Acropolis at night with a Thunderstorm over top. Damn camera wasn't fast enough to catch a lightning flash over it.

Been to Athen many times... great crazy city... watch the traffic and the parking.

Originally posted by whatsthequestionnow View Post
    Lots to see and in Athens!

Depending on where you are staying.. most hotels have a shuttle bus into the city Center. Normal drop off for hotels is near Government house.. where you see changing of the guards. Round here are some great bakeries and also there is a hotel which escapes my mind that servers fantastic lunches (steaks are superb)... just to left across the road from the Govt Building.

You can a walk from here to a number of parks and sites and then stumble across and towards the acropolis. I simply did lots of walking. You will come across the PANATHENAIC STADIUM (ancient olympic stadium), from there you can wander to the The Temple of Olympian Zeus.. plus a number of other sites around there.. from there you go across the road from the ROman Gates towards the Acropolis, virtually underneath are a bunch of tourists shops and nice cafes.. then you can wander around and up to the Acropolis and the areas around it. There is a huge Roman building and temples around which are spectacular. On top of the Acropolis watch for the Gypsies flogging table cloths. Once you have finished seeing the sites you can take a look at the night markets/stores.

Entry if i recall for all the various sites was 25 Euro.

If you have time taking the tram to the south of the city to the Mediterranean sea and the fantastic seafood restaurants. (or by cab for 50Euro oneway).

Outside that if you are staying at the Hilton nothing beats having a room overlooking the Acropolis at night with a Thunderstorm over top. Damn camera wasn't fast enough to catch a lightning flash over it.

Been to Athen many times... great crazy city... watch the traffic and the parking.
    Thanks for taking the trouble to write. The seafood restaurants sound interesting and Acropolis sounds interesting. Seems the traffic is not so straightforward. Are the cab drivers generally ok?

Comment

Originally posted by TiredTraveller View Post
      SQ over TG to ATH anyday. I do this run about 20 times a year. Just wish that the aircraft will be upgraded one day. Also JCL on SQ is better than TG...in my opinion

Frappe

A Greek version of iced coffee.....Enjoy
      I will definitely try Frappe. Will try the reciepe given by N_Architect. I will using J Class and it seems from what I read in various postings is that TG is not fully consistent with the aircraft type they used. Took TG twice and did not really liked it and thOSE was short hauls to HKT and BKK.

Comment

Thanks for taking the trouble to write. The seafood restaurants sound interesting and Acropolis sounds interesting. Seems the traffic is not so straightforward. Are the cab drivers generally ok?
        Cabs are good. Dn't be surprised they stop and ask where you are going and then drive off. You will get one eventually. They also will share with another passenger on the way. Watch some though.. they can "knock" the meter up in charging. Noticed it once...

Cabs are mostly Mercedes (c & E Class) and Citreons... and now some Hyundai's.. and a bunch of smaller cars.

The traffic flows fine... it is just fast... I compare the driving antics of people in KL with Athens.

Comment

Dn't be surprised they stop and ask where you are going and then drive off. You will get one eventually. They also will share with another passenger on the way. Watch some though.. they can "knock" the meter up in charging. Noticed it once...
          Cabs are not good imho, but may be that's just me. Yes, they do stop and ask you where you go, and if they like it (i.e. if you happen to be heading to a direction they will have great chances of picking up other pax along the way OR if they will have to drop you off at a point where they will easily get a new ride, then they'll take you). Otherwise you're just an unlucky poor stranded pax who is in the mercy of their moods. I simply find this absolutely unacceptable.

Yes, the police occasionally discovers taxis with 'knocked' meters. Some of them even have a fourth pedal (on the left of the gear pedal) which they press with their left foot when they see a 'newcomer in town.'

The taxis are not usually clean, and many of the drivers smoke freely while driving. Yes, there are many Merc's and generally new cabs as well, but overall it's the attitude that counts. Personally I do my best to avoid using them when I do not have my car or when there is a general strike, but I understand that a non-Greek who may be visiting the city may find them ok for his movements around town.

The traffic flows fine... it is just fast... I compare the driving antics of people in KL with Athens.
          Traffic is ok, once you get used to it. It's quite a bit, but there are a lot of road shortcuts, so you always have a choice. And yes, it is 'just fast', something which I love...

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
            Cabs are not good imho, but may be that's just me.

Have experienced far worse in other countries...and thats the "benchmark" I rate Athens Cabs. Don't get taxis that often normally have car driven for me in the past in Athens.

The taxis are not usually clean, and many of the drivers smoke freely while driving. Yes, there are many Merc's and generally new cabs as well, but overall it's the attitude that counts.
            Totally agree.... Like the Joy you experience with Greek Customs yes?

Personally I do my best to avoid using them when I do not have my car or when there is a general strike, but I understand that a non-Greek who may be visiting the city may find them ok for his movements around town.
            Strikes in Athens... never! Every time i am there is a protest/strike of some kind going on.

Yeah forgot about the smoking thing... but Smoking is everywhere there and it drives me nuts... hate it. But you should checkout Sophia in Bulgaria... a different league of smoking and taxi's again

Comment

taxis in athens can be pricey if going from airport to city and back because there is a toll they have to pay which they add on to the fare also they will charge you for luggage so why not take the METRO into athens and then take a cab to your hotel i find this way much cheaper.AS FOR THE FRAPPE N ARCHITECT SUMS IT UP SO ENJOY

Comment

Originally posted by TIKIS View Post
                taxis in athens can be pricey if going from airport to city and back because there is a toll they have to pay which they add on to the fare also they will charge you for luggage so why not take the METRO into athens and then take a cab to your hotel i find this way much cheaper.AS FOR THE FRAPPE N ARCHITECT SUMS IT UP SO ENJOY
                Spent quite a bit of time in ATH of late. I think taxis are ridiculously cheap. I had to get a 30 minute taxi ride each day and it was like 13Euros each way - a bargain compared to most parts of Europe. Agree with the smoking, although most of the cab drivers will offer you one so if smoking is your thing you can smoke in the taxi ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MilesDependent View Post
                  Spent quite a bit of time in ATH of late. I think taxis are ridiculously cheap. I had to get a 30 minute taxi ride each day and it was like 13Euros each way - a bargain compared to most parts of Europe. Agree with the smoking, although most of the cab drivers will offer you one so if smoking is your thing you can smoke in the taxi ;-)
                  I think GREECE as a whole is a smokers paradise compared to the rest of the EU countries

Comment

Any interesting Greek food I should try or restaurant to go to? I am also a cheese lover and any interesting cheese to eat? Generally, I love cheese liked I love durian...the stronger the better.

The second matter how is the airport in Athens liked? Anything to take note of?

Comment

Any interesting Greek food I should try or restaurant to go to? I am also a cheese lover and any interesting cheese to eat? Generally, I love cheese liked I love durian...the stronger the better.

The second matter how is the airport in Athens liked? Anything to take note of?
                      well i would suggest you go to the PLAKA in athens for some traditional greek food there are plenty of TAVERNS around that you can try,don't know the names of them but you will find plenty around the narrow lanes and streets of this area.PLAKA is the area called at the bottem of the acropolis and it is full of little shops and taverns and stalls a must visit when in greece.Greek food is a mixture of meats, seafood and dips,as for the airport for me it is a dream comparead to the old athens airport pleanty of space modern with lot's of shops.for views of aircraft go up to 3rd level at mcdonalds of course,overall it is not CHANGI

Comment

I spent a few months living and working in Piraeus (the port of Athens) about 11 years ago and unless it's changed, found the taxi drivers dubious. They'd try to charge me the night rate during the day or claim the meter isn't working or add on charges etc. A number of times after arguing without any success, I had to pay what I knew was the correct price and simply walked out of the cab (they never came after me as they knew I knew they were trying to rip me off).

LionCity could also take a day trip easily to one of the nearby islands, e.g. Hydra which is only about 1-2 hours away by hydrofoil from Piraeus (you can get to Piraeus on the metro):

http://www.hydra.com.gr/transport/

In Athens itself, perhaps find the Evzones - a crack elite troop who are famous for their distinctive footwear :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EVZONES_MARCHING.JPG

I always enjoyed wandering around the chic shops of Kolonaki and taking the funicular up to the top of Likavitos hill for the views of Athens. Or going out for dinner (along with all of the locals doing the same) in summer way past midnight, e.g. Glyfada is nice (you'll need to take a taxi).

There are loads of things to do and see in/around Athens so no worries about sitting in a hotel all weekend!

Edit:

Any interesting Greek food I should try
                        Kokoretsi if you're into offal ?

I find Greek food to be quite simple - lamb features a lot, seafood is liked very much (you should watch out though for places selling this by weight as it can add up), dips, salads, cheese pies (yum! - it's mild almost like cream cheese but LionCity should perhaps try this given his love of cheese) etc - but tasty. Some of the desserts can be quite sweet. I love Greek yoghurt and honey!

With the places around Plaka, you have to be careful not to walk into a tourist trap. I always avoid places which have somebody out front calling out to passers-by ("my friend" indeed!) asking them to come in.

Finally, perhaps try somewhere which does meze ? Lots of little dishes make up the meal and it should be cheap. I remember trying to find this restaurant down a deserted street with some friends. The ground floor was totally empty (as if it was a ghost town) until we tried the stairs and found all the customers sat on the rooftop. There was no menu and none of us spoke Greek. The food just came ... and came and came. We got to what we thought was the end of the mains - all of us being absolutely stuffed at this point - and to our horror another dish came out!
                        Last edited by jhm; 9 September 2008, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Thanks jhm and TIKIS. I am indeed going to the port city of Piraeus so the information comes in very good.

Comment

I presumed you would be going to Piraeus. Not Akti Miaouli by any chance ?.

I agree that the taxi drivers can be very moody. I remember when we were at an exhibition in Piraeus a few years ago but staying at the Emmantina Hotel* in Glyfada. If we told the taxi drivers where we were going they would refuse to take us, so we use to lie and say we were going somewhere else then pretend to take a phone call/sms changing the location. The driver would go mad but we were already on our way, and had no choice as they wouldnt take us.

*This was right under the flightpath into the old Athens airport and was an interesting places to say the least, especially the rooftop bar.

Comment

Yes, beware of taxi drivers trying to pick other passengers when you are in the cab. Just firmly say no if the driver ever understood you.
                              For 12 euro to the Acropolis, you get coupons which entitle you to the Ancient Agora or Theatre of Dionysos or Romain Agora or Kerameikos or Temple of Olympian Zeus and also Adrian's Library.
                              Most restaurants serve mainly meat options such as kebab, lamb, chicken etc.
                              There is nothing interesting about the airport, it's functional and smokers can even smoke in McDonald.

Comment

Working...
                              X