Is Heading To Town Doable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Heading To Town Doable?

Okay I think I am overdue for a visit into town. In more than a year, I haven't even set foot landside in Changi, let alone going into city centre. This despite countless number of transits in SIN. Time for me to go somewhere else rather than seek the comfort of the SKL nor the transit hotel.

Anyways as some already know, I have a FRWSTAR2 trip next month. One of the trip path will SQ637 NRT-SIN then connecting to SQ285 towards Auckland. The thought of spending time into town never crossed my mind. But recently, I got an email from my TA stating that SQ285 which when I booked the trip, had an original departure time of 9:00 pm. But now, that flight has been rescheduled to 9:55 pm, giving me 4 hrs 20 min layover after arriving 5:35 pm ex-SQ637 from NRT.

Question is whether 4 hr 20 min is enough for me to head into town for an early dinner and get back to my connecting flight in time? This is also one of the rare time I am flying for vacation purposes rather than for business and am travelling with my GF so I'd thought if doable, we would definately like to head over to Marina Square for dinner by means of the MRT. What do you all think and please don't hesitate to throw out additional tips. Thanks!
    My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

4 hours 20 minutes is more than enough time to head back to the city and back to the airport, I think. But make sure you take the MRT back to the airport, as there are usually long lines for cabs everywhere in the downtown area in the evening hours.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ168 View Post
      4 hours 20 minutes is more than enough time to head back to the city and back to the airport, I think. But make sure you take the MRT back to the airport, as there are usually long lines for cabs everywhere in the downtown area in the evening hours.
      Agreed, 4h 20 min is just enough for a meal at Marina Square and some shopping;

that means, from airport, take a cab (faster and value for money)

but take an MRT train back to airport (give it 45 min to one hr - be prepared to stand all the way so bring less bags).
      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Not worth taking the MRT IMO, better to call for a cab if there is a long line for cabs.

Yes, 4 hours+ is more than enough to go into town and back.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. Reinforces my belief of how small but yet efficient Singapore really is. Though if I may ask, which restaurant in or around Marina Square would you recommend for Nasi Lemak or Curry Kway Teow Goreng? Sorry if this is a rather broad question, but as mentioned earlier you're looking at an SQ frequenter who is blind to the airline's city representative.
          My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Have not checked the list recently. But we have list of recommended places to try in Singapore: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242

Comment

Go to Food Republic food court at Vivo City. Good food and more comfortable place than hawker center.

Comment

You can't head into town.It takes way too long even IF YOU DO HAVE FOUR HOURS by the time it takes to clear immigration and get transport into Downtown Singapore Have a quick look around Marina Square or Orchard Road and Get back to the Airport You really only have about two to two and a half hours maximum to squeeze everything in before your onward sector.
                My Tip would be Get the MRT or a Taxi out to Tampines instead for the local shopping and be back at the airport at least 90 minutes before the next flights you are connecting onwards with

Comment

necromancer on the loose here....

Comment

lol... SQADL333, this thread was started in March 2007, therefore your advice is only 2 and a half years late...

Comment

OK, I'm utterly confused here. First, the guy asks:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7924

then, he comments here (had to have dug this nugget up, so why wasn't the original question put here ) that 4 hours is not long enough???
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        OK, I'm utterly confused here. First, the guy asks:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7924

then, he comments here (had to have dug this nugget up, so why wasn't the original question put here ) that 4 hours is not long enough???
                        C'mon HUGE AL, he's speaking from experience, right?

Just because it's not 'personal' experience hahahah

Comment

Working...
                        X