AKL, MEL and/or SYD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AKL, MEL and/or SYD ?

I may be taking a trip down under in August (mostly SQ F ) and have the opportunity of stopping over in AKL, MEL and/or SYD.

I have about 10 days for the whole trip and leaving aside 1-2 nights in SIN and KUL and travelling, I think I'll only have about 4-5 nights left to play with.

Any suggestions which of AKL, MEL and/or SYD would be best to visit at this time of year ? I've not been to Australia nor New Zealand before. The only person I've asked so far (a work collaegue) says from her experience a long time ago, SYD was fantastic, AKL was okay and MEL was somewhat overhyped so suggested a few nights in SYD and perhaps an evening in AKL.

(If I include AKL, one filght will be AKL-MEL on EK F - anyone have any opinions on how that compares to SQ F ?)

Thanks!

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    The only person I've asked so far (a work collaegue) says from her experience a long time ago, SYD was fantastic, AKL was okay and MEL was somewhat overhyped

Orders the Popcorn and waits.....

Comment

Only repeating what I was told by someone who worked there (MEL) a few months!

Comment

If you're on a short visit - I'd go SYD.

If you have more time, do include MEL. We do not have much in the way of grand tourist attractions, but it's a great place to hang out and just chill with numerous fantastic cafes, sensational cuisine, sophisticated wine bars and pubs, art galleries and just all round trendiness. Unlike SYD where you'd be standing in Circular Quay and going "Yep this is Sydney - bridge, harbour and Opera House," there is so much good stuff in MEL to discover in its millions of tiny laneways filled with fashionable establishments to check out. And you might just arrive in the middle of one of our numerous festivals - in fact this week happens to be International Fashion Week. Comedy Festival coming up soon. Oh and there's the Great Ocean Rd to drive down if you're into views.

AKL is pretty cool too - basically a smaller version of MEL.

Have you also considered one of the seaside towns in Queensland like the Gold Coast or Cairns?

Why not do them all and see for yourself?

MAN Flyer - it's ok he's not a Sydneysider. Sorry to disappoint.

As for EK F on the MEL-AKL-MEL segment - they use the A345 with individual cubicles in F with sliding doors separating each cubicle from the rest of the cabin. Pretty nifty I must say.

edited to add: just realised you have 5 days. In which case - I'd do 3 days in SYD and 2 days in MEL, with 1 day for the Great Ocean Rd and Phillip Island.
        Am I being objective or what?
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 8 March 2007, 11:04 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks, KeithMEL - plenty of ideas for me to think about!

Comment

Working...
          X