Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long an indonesian domestic flight could be......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long an indonesian domestic flight could be......

Just sitting here in my room on Lombok Island (one of the lesser sunda Islands) I realise that I'm only 65 miles from Denpasar to the west. Started looking up the distances to the nearby islands (to the east) Sumbawa, Komodo, Flores, then further east into timor and yet further east into Papua.

I stated to wonder how long an indonesian domestic flight could be, so I looked up the southeasternmost city on Papua (and therefore indonesia), i.e Merauke, and looked up the northwesternmost city in Sumatra, i.e Aceh (and therefore also indonesia) - and the straightline between Merauke (MKQ) and Bandar Aceh (BTJ) airports is a whopping 3,250 miles.

Put that in perspective, SIN-ADL is only 100 miles longer at 3,350!

So just out of curiosity - I wondered if i was in Merauke now, how I'd get to Bandar Aceh the fastest way possible, and this is the best I could come up with for tomorrow (6th May)

MZ781 MKQ(Merauke,Irian Jaya)-DJJ (Jayapura, Irian Jaya) 0905-1015 (duration 1hr 10)
    continuing
    MZ781 DJJ-MKW(Manokwari, Irian Jaya)1055-1215 (duration 1hr 20)
    continuing
    MZ781 MKW-UPG (Makassar, Sulawesi) 1255-1425 (duration 2hrs 30)
    continuing
    MZ781 UPG-CGK (Jakarta, Java) 1510-1625 (duration 2hrs 15)
    Total elapsed time for MZ781: 8hrs 20

Overnight Jakarta:
    GA142 CGK-BTJ (Bandar Aceh, Sumatra) 0630-0915 (duration 2hrs 40)

3917 miles all up, 26 hours 10 minutes elapsed, all without a passport......... Whoever might possibly be undertaking this journey tomorrow: I salute you !

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=m...navy&MAP-STYLE=

There are much longer domestic flights of course!

e.g.

VVO-SVO - 3,991 miles
    EWR-HNL - 4,962 miles
    ORY-RUN - 5,802 miles
    BZZ-PSY - 8,067 miles (with a refueling stop in ASI - only £2,222 for the return in Y!)

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      There are much longer domestic flights of course!

e.g.

VVO-SVO - 3,991 miles
      EWR-HNL - 4,962 miles
      ORY-RUN - 5,802 miles
      BZZ-PSY - 8,067 miles (with a refueling stop in ASI - only £2,222 for the return in Y!)
      Indeed, but the US and Russia are rather large countries , whereas the examples for reunion and port stanley - well, they're overseas territories and not contiguous with the mother landmass technically, could you enter the EU via Reunion for example?

Comment

But ... but ... but neither Papua nor Sumatra are contiguous with the "mother" landmass of Java!

(Enter the EU via Reunion ? Reunion IS part of the EU - so they use the Euro etc - but like the UK it's not part of Schengen.)

Comment

But ... but ... but neither Papua nor Sumatra are contiguous with the "mother" landmass of Java!
          But they're adjacent to each other in that regard aren't they? - which isn't quite true for the Falkland Islands or Reunion

(Enter the EU via Reunion ? Reunion IS part of the EU - so they use the Euro etc - but like the UK it's not part of Schengen.)
          Meaning a flight from RUN to ORY requires passing CIQ then?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            But they're adjacent to each other in that regard aren't they? - which isn't quite true for the Falkland Islands or Reunion

Meaning a flight from RUN to ORY requires passing CIQ then?
            What's a few thousand miles between friends ?

Yep, RUN to ORY requires immigration and presumably customs.

Whilst Googling around, I was interested to see that Air Austral, based in Reunion, will be the First to Fly the A380 with an all Y configuration! 11 hours, almost 6,000 miles and a full flight of 840 pax ... MR anyone ?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Just sitting here in my room on Lombok Island (one of the lesser sunda Islands) I realise that I'm only 65 miles from Denpasar to the west. Started looking up the distances to the nearby islands (to the east) Sumbawa, Komodo, Flores, then further east into timor and yet further east into Papua.

I stated to wonder how long an indonesian domestic flight could be, so I looked up the southeasternmost city on Papua (and therefore indonesia), i.e Merauke, and looked up the northwesternmost city in Sumatra, i.e Aceh (and therefore also indonesia) - and the straightline between Merauke (MKQ) and Bandar Aceh (BTJ) airports is a whopping 3,250 miles.

Put that in perspective, SIN-ADL is only 100 miles longer at 3,350!

So just out of curiosity - I wondered if i was in Merauke now, how I'd get to Bandar Aceh the fastest way possible, and this is the best I could come up with for tomorrow (6th May)

MZ781 MKQ(Merauke,Irian Jaya)-DJJ (Jayapura, Irian Jaya) 0905-1015 (duration 1hr 10)
              continuing
              MZ781 DJJ-MKW(Manokwari, Irian Jaya)1055-1215 (duration 1hr 20)
              continuing
              MZ781 MKW-UPG (Makassar, Sulawesi) 1255-1425 (duration 2hrs 30)
              continuing
              MZ781 UPG-CGK (Jakarta, Java) 1510-1625 (duration 2hrs 15)
              Total elapsed time for MZ781: 8hrs 20

Overnight Jakarta:
              GA142 CGK-BTJ (Bandar Aceh, Sumatra) 0630-0915 (duration 2hrs 40)

3917 miles all up, 26 hours 10 minutes elapsed, all without a passport......... Whoever might possibly be undertaking this journey tomorrow: I salute you !

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=m...navy&MAP-STYLE=
              Sounds like an epic TR in the making...

Any Indonesia-based SQTalkers care to take up the challenge?

Comment

almost 6,000 miles and a full flight of 840 pax ... MR anyone ?
                After you... I'll evaluate it once I've read your TR

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                Sounds like an epic TR in the making...
                Sounds like an epic case of DVT in the making rather

Well, it's 754 Lombok time, 854 Merauke Time. I'm guessing all the pax on MZ781 are nicely strapped in for their epic 3 stop flight to Jakarta at 905am.....

Comment

Interesting discussion...
                  Attempting..... but with MZ???
                  No thanks...
                  I love my self more than flying...

Btw, enjoy your stay in Lombok.... It's a very beautiful island, more secluded than the crowded Bali with the same rich culture and fantastic food....

Comment

Working...
                  X