Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for US city to visit

Heya

Need some inspiration (while being bored in class ) on a new US city to visit.

Already visited (as an adult over the age of 16):
    - NYC
    - Chicago
    - Boston
    - DC
    - Philly
    - LA

Will be visiting:
    - NYC (again!)
    - LA (again!)
    - Las Vegas
    - San Francisco
    - Miami
    - Fort Lauderdale

Requirements:
    - Good nightlife, with awesome live music
    - Good food
    - Vaguely relaxing and picturesque settings (historical looking objects/buildings count)
    - Served by AA or affiliates (doing this on a DONE4) with direct connections from NYC and to LAX

At this stage I'm thinking of Austin, Texas. Atlanta and Nashville also spring to mind but I'd have to buy extra xONEx coupons for those as I'm already at my limit.

Comments appreciated.

Cheers,
    Keith
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 1 March 2007, 07:19 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Wow Honolulu seems to meet all your requirements

Comment

I like SEA

Requirements:
      - Good nightlife, with awesome live music - They have a relatively good alternative music scene there.
      - Good food - Quite a number of places
      - Vaguely relaxing and picturesque settings (historical looking objects/buildings count) - Alki Beach is a nice area as are some lakes there. You must visit Boeing. A further drive up North to YVR to visit......
      - Served by AA or affiliates (doing this on a DONE4) with direct connections from NYC and to LAX - Dont know AA, never flown them

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        At this stage I'm thinking of Austin, Texas.
        I went to school in Austin, TX (hook 'em horns!), and it's a great town!

What time of the year will you be traveling?

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
          I went to school in Austin, TX (hook 'em horns!), and it's a great town!

What time of the year will you be traveling?
          Don't know yet as I'm doing my DONE4 in a few different bits. Probably end of the year but the AA office wants my full routing.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            I like SEA

Requirements:
            - Good nightlife, with awesome live music - They have a relatively good alternative music scene there.
            - Good food - Quite a number of places
            - Vaguely relaxing and picturesque settings (historical looking objects/buildings count) - Alki Beach is a nice area as are some lakes there. You must visit Boeing. A further drive up North to YVR to visit......
            - Served by AA or affiliates (doing this on a DONE4) with direct connections from NYC and to LAX - Dont know AA, never flown them
            Seattle would have been my first suggestion as well.

Comment

I did think of SEA but I'd have to buy seperate tickets to get there. I can't use my DONE4 to SEA as AA only codeshares there on non-oneworld metal. Might consider if there are great deals on SouthWest.

Comment

My vote's for Austin as well.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

How about New Orleans? I have never neen there but for me it is number one for American Cities I have not visited but would like to get to.

Comment

Keith,

How about Orlando, Florida?
                    "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

New Orleans! MSY has arguably the best regional cuisine in the United States. Its restaurants are world-class and significantly cheaper than you will find in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. It is the birthplace of several forms of music, one of which swept the world and spawned other genres. Plus, the live music never stops. Plenty of nightlife of all kinds and descriptions besides live music. If you go at the right time, you can get great hotels for reasonable rates by world standards. Some parts of the city devastated by Miss K (Katrina) remain wastelands, but the bits frequented by visitors have been largely cleaned up. The place oozes history (colonized first by the French, then the Spanish, then the French again before the Americans bought the whole shootin' match in 1803), and there are miles upon miles of distinctive homes in the Garden District and Uptown. As for AA, I don't know whether they fly from LAX or NYC, but connections via DFW should be plentiful.

I've been to New Orleans about a dozen times in the last dozen years, and I just booked in for a quick weekend in May. Looking forward to it already.

Comment

I have only been to New Orleans once, but agree that it is a great city to visit, and it would certainly fit your criteria, Keith. I hope to visit again someday before too long!

Comment

New Orleans...mmm thanks for the suggestion. I wanted to include it in my last trip but was put off by Miss K. Hope they'd have sufficiently recovered from Miss K b4 too long!

And 2 Ws to choose from!
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 2 March 2007, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I also agree for New Orleans (forgot say this earlier)

The French Quarter is the best place to visit and Downtown New Orleans
                            "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSQ011 View Post
                              I also agree for New Orleans (forgot say this earlier)

The French Quarter is the best place to visit and Downtown New Orleans
                              French Quarters around the world seem like really nice places.

Right now it's between New Orleans or Austin...

Comment

Working...
                              X