Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you recommend SQ for a first time flyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you recommend SQ for a first time flyer?

Hello everyone

If all goes to plan we'll be flying from LHR to BNE (economy) in July to spend a month in Australia with my wife's family.

That sounds great, all except for one thing... I've never flown before!

Having done a lot of research I think I've narrowed it down to either Virgin or Singapore (with SQ leading the way). So, for a (very) nervous first time flyer would you recommend Singapore?

Also to anyone who has done that route vaguely recently, have they got the more up-to-date Krisworld version on that route?

Finally although we won't be stopping for long at Changi, we've got to decide between a 2 or 7 hour stop. Any opinion?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks for your help.

David

My first flight ever was on SQ....loved it

Comment

Originally posted by djcammy View Post
      So, for a (very) nervous first time flyer would you recommend Singapore?
      I'd recommend Singapore Airlines to even the most jaded of flyers. Arguably one of the best airlines on the face of this planet - regardless of which way this attribute is trending, it's still up there amongst the best (for now anyway)
      You could do a LOT worse.

Also to anyone who has done that route vaguely recently, have they got the more up-to-date Krisworld version on that route?
      Between London and Singapore, you'll be on the 747-400 - and that's got Video on Demand - so that's fairly up to date. Between Singapore and Brisbane - it will be hit and miss as to whether Video on demand is available or not. Regardless, you will still have personal video.

Finally although we won't be stopping for long at Changi, we've got to decide between a 2 or 7 hour stop. Any opinion?
      For a first time visit, 7 hours could be passed quite easily wandering the myriad of shops. Changi's a favourite amongst a lot of SQTalkers, and with good reason. It's just pleasant.

oh..and...... welcome to SQTALK

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        For a first time visit, 7 hours could be passed quite easily wandering the myriad of shops. Changi's a favourite amongst a lot of SQTalkers, and with good reason. It's just pleasant.
        Very true. Changi still feels like "home" to me, even if I don't live in Singapore anymore--truly one of the world's best airports, IMO.

I would take the 7-hour layover--even if you don't want to spend the whole time in the airport, that is long enough to go on one of the free tours of the city that the airport offers.

Welcome to SQTalk, djcammy!

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk!

Depending when you're in Singapore, you could take the free city tour for transit passengers (which requires you to have a transit of 5 hours or more). Details here:

http://www.visitsingapore.com/publis...__transit.html

That plus (say) a shower (which you have to pay for though), some more or less authentic local food in one of the airport's staff canteens (hawker centres) and ... of course! ... shopping and 7 hours will pass very easily!

Comment

My first ever flight on was SQ too... Definitely recommend it. 7 hrs in Singapore sounds about just right with the free city tour

Comment

My first flight wasn't on SQ, but when I first got onto SQ --- that was it. So much better than other airlines. My only grouse is that I never did get to travel on the A340-300 Celestar before it was phased out.

Comment

I agree with everything mentioned so far, however it is still a very long way to fly from LHR-BNE in economy. Personally, I would stick with the 2 hours at Changi and keep the trip as short as possible. Changi airport and Singapore are great, but you'll arrive there wanting to rest. So IMHO either stay overnight (or longer) or get the last leg SIN-BNE over with.

P.S Definitely fly SQ though!

Regards
                SQ744

Comment

Definitely yes!

My first flight ever was on a Garuda Indonesian Airways Fokker F28. But more memorable was my first SQ flight: on a B752. It was indeed a great way to fly.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ744 View Post
                    I agree with everything mentioned so far, however it is still a very long way to fly from LHR-BNE in economy. Personally, I would stick with the 2 hours at Changi and keep the trip as short as possible. Changi airport and Singapore are great, but you'll arrive there wanting to rest. So IMHO either stay overnight (or longer) or get the last leg SIN-BNE over with.

P.S Definitely fly SQ though!

Regards
                    SQ744
                    I agree with SQ744, 2 hours at Changi would just be nice to browse through and then get on to BNE!

7 hours is great - if you are planning to go outside on a Singapore tour.

Comment

To echo sentiments already expressed - SQ would make for a truly memorable first flight indeed.

One other very important reason you should pick SQ over VS - you can get to BNE directly from SIN. Virgin only flies into SYD and you'd have mess around with immigration/clearance, and checking in again at SYD for your domestic connection to BNE.

And welcome to SQTalk, djcammy! Enjoy your holiday in Brissie!
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 February 2007, 08:08 PM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Hello everyone

Thank you all for such a warm welcome
                        Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        One other very important reason you should pick SQ over VS - you can get to BNE directly from SIN. Virgin only flies into SYD and you'd have mess around with immigration/clearance, and checking in again at SYD for your domestic connection to BNE.
                        The only reason I considered Virgin was because of the 2-4-2 seat configuration, but weighing it up against all the SQ positives, not to mention the Virgin negatives that I've read, I think SQ was always going to win. I just needed a bit of reassuance... and thankfully that's exactly what I got.

Anyway your comments were just what I've needed and I've booked tickets for a month in Oz

I was still undecided about the length of delay at Changi, so I've gone with my wife's suggestion and we're taking the 7 hour break.

One more question: Does anyone know which version of the 747-400 singapore use of this route? According to seatguru there are four versions and three of them don't have windows on rows 35-39... any idea?

Thanks again

David

Comment

Had to add my two penny's worth! I LOVE VS. But if I had to choose between VS and SQ in Y, I'd run very, very far from VS. Its terrible in Y on VS. The seats are too narrow and way to cramped. Service and entertainment also fall short of SQ. VS's PE (which doesn't exist on SQ's LHR flights) and Upper are a totally different matter though (although SQ's new 773ER Business Class is a dream).

Comment

Last year I flew SQ for the first time from ADL to JNB via SIN. It was fantastic and highly reccommend SQ for a first time flyer. I too had a long stop-over in SIN (about 9 hours). Couldn't take advantage of the free Singapore tour due to our late afternoon arrival in SIN, however we made good use of the open air Swimming Pool and Spa which can be found in the Transit Hotel in Terminal 1 and costs SGD$13.65 per person. As SQ arrive and depart from Terminal 2 you can either walk (which is a bit of a hike) or catch the free airtrain between the two terminals and follow the signs to the Transit Hotel. They provide towels and anything you may need, just bring your bathers. They also have showers and as part of the entry fee you also get a non-alcoholic drink. A full bar service is also available. Remember though, that although the Transit Hotel can be accessed from Terminal 2 you can only access the Swimming Pool facilities from the entrance in Terminal 1.

Besides, the endless duty free shopping and food outlets in Terminal 2, you can also take advantage of the outdoor viewing area, sunflower garden and I think they even have a cinema. So no problem enjoying your time at Changi.

Comment

djcammy, you should check if any SQtalker or FTer is in SIN at the same time as you are, if there are two, they could help you get into the SKL...

Comment

Working...
                              X