Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do about poachers of overhead bin space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do about poachers of overhead bin space?

I thought I'd get your views on this, which is more of problem on intra-Europe flights than intra-Asia or transcontinental flights.

Today I saw someone in Euro Traveller (Y) put his suitcase in one of the overhead cabinets in Club Europe. He then marched down the aisle to his ET seat. The reason I noticed: he put it above my row. Fortunately for him, I could shove his suitcase to one side and fit my laptop bag and winter coat where he had positioned his suitcase. I decided not to make a fuss because CE wasn't filled, so there was plenty of overhead space.

If there had been a scarcity of overhead storage, I would have suggested to an FA that the suitcase didn't belong there.

But in this non-space constrained case, what would you have done? Let sleeping dogs lie, as I did, even if that encourages unethical behavior? (Yes, I do consider placing your luggage in the wrong cabin, particularly when you're one of the first to board, as unethical behavior.)

Thoughts?
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    But in this non-space constrained case, what would you have done?
    Suitcase, meet aisle. Aisle, meet suitcase.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
      Suitcase, meet aisle. Aisle, meet suitcase.
      I've done that when the poacher sat his suitcase above my seat, and overhead space was scarce.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

From my days of commuting between SFO and PHL on UA A319 or A320 (prior to year 2000), the FA would be informed that one of the bags up there was not belong to F cabin.

Comment

Gosh - this has happened to me too many times. I'm far too timid to do anything though

Comment

Seems odd to me that he would put it anywhere other than above his own seat. As you said, he was boarding early so there should have been plenty of room in his row.

That said, given the light loading I would not have bothered. If I spent my entire life correcting peoples unethical behavior I would not have time for my own life.

One time, at LHR, we were enroute to Nairobi via KQ. We were checking in at the business counter but this man cut in front of us. It turned out he was checking in a tour group and for some reason they were letting him use the Business Counter. When we realized his group was in Y we questioned him, as we were waiting over 30 minutes. He became very angry saying not to challenge him and that he would be "our worst nightmare". When the agent got to us finally, she apologized and quickly upgraded us to F. About half way through the flight, I walked back through Y, looking cool and refreshed, glass of champagne in my hand, found the guy standing up sort of slumped over the back of a seat looking miserable and told him "he" was his own worst nightmare and had he been slightly nicer he might have scored an upgrade to our J seats. I thanked him for the upgrade to F that he indirectly gave us. Needless to say, he did not have a single word in response.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter11 View Post
              One time, at LHR, we were enroute to Nairobi via KQ. We were checking in at the business counter but this man cut in front of us. It turned out he was checking in a tour group and for some reason they were letting him use the Business Counter. When we realized his group was in Y we questioned him, as we were waiting over 30 minutes. He became very angry saying not to challenge him and that he would be "our worst nightmare". When the agent got to us finally, she apologized and quickly upgraded us to F. About half way through the flight, I walked back through Y, looking cool and refreshed, glass of champagne in my hand, found the guy standing up sort of slumped over the back of a seat looking miserable and told him "he" was his own worst nightmare and had he been slightly nicer he might have scored an upgrade to our J seats. I thanked him for the upgrade to F that he indirectly gave us. Needless to say, he did not have a single word in response.
              Good for you, Peter!

Comment

Nice one. A way to treat rude people, eh? Sometimes they can be really PITAs.

Comment

Working...
                X