Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement of Reduced Flights To India Limits Options, Growth Potential For Canadia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement of Reduced Flights To India Limits Options, Growth Potential For Canadia

From an SIA press release issued yesterday:

Announcement of Reduced Flights To India Limits Options, Growth Potential
    For Canadian Travelers, Regional Economy

Following the announcement of Air Canada’s termination of Toronto-Delhi flights, Singapore Airlines today reiterated its 20-year commitment to expanding options for travel between Canada and India, but cautioned that, unless the government-mandated restrictions on its operations are eased, Canadian travelers and tourist-reliant businesses may suffer.

The world’s largest airline by market value, Singapore Airlines operates to ten cities in India and transports ten thousand passengers annually between the two countries. However, the Asian carrier’s ability to meet Canadian demand for seats following Air Canada’s withdrawal from India is constrained by a limit, of just three flights per week, imposed by the Canadian government in 1992.

Singapore Airlines’ Vice President Canada, Campbell Wilson, summarized the situation: “With our Vancouver flights now averaging 90% full year-round, and being forbidden to add flights, our ability to meet passenger demand following Air Canada’s withdrawal from Delhi is limited. As a result, Canadian consumers will suffer from fewer options, and tourism-related businesses will see fewer inbound customers.”

Citing strong passenger demand, Singapore Airlines, which has operated flights to Vancouver for nearly two decades, has long sought to increase its thrice-weekly schedule to a daily service. Canadian authorities have repeatedly declined the request.

“Our understanding is that the restriction on our frequency was originally designed to protect Canadian airline interests. As no Canadian airline now serves India or South East Asia -- and Air Canada is now in robust financial health -- continued protection from competition appears unnecessary,” says Wilson.

“Canada’s air policy should be designed to benefit all Canadians, not just one constituency. As no Canadian airline is in a position to serve these regions, why must Canadian travelers and tourist-reliant businesses suffer inadequate air capacity to when Singapore Airlines, potentially among others, is prepared to meet that need?”

“This is not a zero sum game. As a Star Alliance and codeshare partner, Air Canada stands to gain from the increased traffic feed that more Singapore Airlines flights, drawing from regions no longer served by Air Canada, would bring. This is a critical opportunity for the Canadian government to implement the ideals espoused in its Blue Sky policy, and demonstrate its commitment to the Asia Pacific Gateway Initiative.”

It seems the biggest argument for not allowing SQ to have a daily service is the competition SQ is to AC on the YVR-ICN sector.
    It is very frustrating the the Canadian government is so protective of Air Canada.
    I really hope that SQ will get the daily service in the very near future and hope the threats SQ made about pulling out of YVR and move operations to SEA are not true or being substantialized. I read that quite a while ago but don't have any reference to it and therefore don't know how true it is.

Comment

I for one would be most happy if SQ flew to SEA ........But my YVR friends here will be

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        I for one would be most happy if SQ flew to SEA ........But my YVR friends here will be
        Yes, I would be one of them.
        But if there was a daily service from SEA I would seriously consider using it, the only big disadvantage would be US immigration each time.
        Let's hope the daily YVR will come through.

Comment

If SQ continues to pressure, pressure,........and pressure........am I seeing a true Golden Bird landing/taking off at YYZ in the horizon?

Competition for air services in Canada, as others have pointed out, is that of a sick patient. Unless the Canadian govt loosens it's conservative approach in their sky policy, I am not too optimistic about a significant growth in the nation's economy. Not even with Whistler approaching in 2010. Very frustrating for a Canadian resident myself. My advice to AC: Improve your own service and quit whining about other carriers stealing passengers from you as you have no one to blame but yourself.

On a brighter note side, Air New Zealand is on a high scale to launch a direct YVR flight: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3966629a13.html
          My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Working...
          X