787-3 for SQ regional routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 787-3 for SQ regional routes

SQ's current regional fleet is 17 777-200s and 12 777-300s. Some of those will be replaced by A330-300 as they enter the fleet on 5 to 6 year leases from 2009 to 2011. Between 2014 and 2017, SQ will need to replace their entire regional fleet -- both the A330s and the 777s. None of the replacement aircraft have been ordered yet.

The 787-3 has sufficient range to fly all routes now flown by SQ's regional fleet. Would it not make sense for SQ to order about 40 787-3s for delivery from 2014 to 2017? Does any other option remotely make sense?

I suppose this question should be posed to Bey Soo Khiang.

I too was thinking that 787-3s would be more appropriate for Asia but evidently SIA prefers the 787-9s.

I have no idea. However, for sure, is that I won't be holding my breathe for a 787-3 order!

Comment

If the 767ER/777ER vs non-ER is anything to go by it would be easier to find new operators for longhaul aircraft than those built for regional flights isn't it? That would have been SQ's rationale behind buying 772ERs and de-rating the engines. I suspect the same is true for the 789, makes for a much more versatile (and therefore valuable) aircraft. And if they find the 789 to be a bit large, they can always pick up some 788s and de-rate those.

Comment

I'm with RJA on this. 789s will probably have better re-sale value and knowing SQ, that's the reason they've bought them

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          789s will probably have better re-sale value and knowing SQ, that's the reason they've bought them
          Bingo! I felt I was overlooking something and that's it of course. SQ were burned badly by the plummeting resale value of the A340-500s and want to protect their investment. The resale market for the 787-3 looks risky now, while the 787-8 and 787-9 look much safer.

Also, the shorter wingspan of the 787-3 might not be of any benefit to SQ -- it wouldn't help at SIN.

Comment

SQ ordered 20 787-9s. However the 787-3 would be a little small in size for SQ even for its regional flights and the range is not good enough as it could barely just made it to the farther parts of China and Japan. Hence SQ would feel its better to have a much longer range plane and "misuse" it on its shorter routes as it have been doing for many years now - as the same plane can then still be used for its longer and thinner routes to almost everywhere in its present system with its other aircraft types without a technical fuel stop. And its also useful for longer haul new routes to build up the capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
              SQ ordered 20 787-9s. However the 787-3 would be a little small in size for SQ even for its regional flights and the range is not good enough as it could barely just made it to the farther parts of China and Japan. Hence SQ would feel its better to have a much longer range plane and "misuse" it on its shorter routes as it have been doing for many years now - as the same plane can then still be used for its longer and thinner routes to almost everywhere in its present system with its other aircraft types without a technical fuel stop. And its also useful for longer haul new routes to build up the capacity.
              The range of 787-3 is 3500nm according to Boeing. I'm hearing that will be 3500 to 4000nm by EIS. That is sufficient for every flight that SQ currently operates using their regional fleet including CAI.

I completely disagree about size. Frequency is important for RASM. In my opinion, SQ very much need about a dozen 787-8s for european routes that are now operated less frequently than daily. On shorter routes, the 787-3 may beat the 777-300 on CASM.

Comment

according to Boeing's website for its 787-3, the range is between 2,500 to 3,050 nautical miles (4,650 to 5,650 kilometers) which is fairly "short" for SQ's operational requirements even as used as a "regional" plane. Pls see site at : http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787...787-3prod.html
                And do believe SQ still wanted a bigger pax oad/size of aircraft - and not just on frequencies only - as for most destinations, the frequencies are regulated by air rights agreement between the countries; and its not possible to simply increase frequencies - hence size of an aircraft is perhaps more impt to SIA.

Comment

Interestingly enough, only NH & JL (30 & 13) have ordered the 783. Perhaps they're using it for their domestic ops only.

Comment

Side question:

Will the SIA 787 cabin have the new First, Raffles (I still call the Business Class Raffles Class), and Economy? (just want to know )
                    "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

With delivery from 2011, I think we may have a new cabin by then. Since its planned for regional ops, it will probably be higher density

Comment

With delivery from 2011, I think we may have a new cabin by then. Since its planned for regional ops, it will probably be higher density
                        High density routes= improved cabin?

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSQ011 View Post
                          High density routes= improved cabin?
                          New Hi-Density Cabin compared to current. New does not always = improved

Comment

i can't wait for the A330-300s to come. its one of my favorite plane models after the A340-600.

Comment

New Hi-Density Cabin compared to current. New does not always = improved
                              I get it now; Thank 9V-JKL

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Working...
                              X