Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recomendations On MEL-SIN-HKG flights & deals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomendations On MEL-SIN-HKG flights & deals?

Hi all,

I'm on seeking advice on the several flights originating from Melbourne with stop over at Singapore on route to HK both ways. Recent chatter of the 77W flights are better than 777-200/300? Any thoughts or recommendations. Some of the arrival times may be too crowded on certain airports (saw some post on arrival times avoiding peak rush of other arriving flights). Seatguru and seat expert seating arrangement are pretty spot on which I can use to avoid bad seats.

Furthermore would there be a deal on flight fares comming out for the low season end of April 07. The travel agent did not have any details as yet. Can anyone shed some thoughts. What are the discount booking class (ie, Y,S,E)?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. Looking forward to fly SQ

(ps moderator if it's wrong forum please change to appropriate one)

Hi valkry,

From MEL-SIN you have three options:
    SQ218 Dep MEL 0050 - Arr SIN 0530
    SQ238 Dep MEL 1120 - Arr SIN 1600
    SQ228 Dep MEL 1700 - Arr SIN 2135

If you are stopping over in SIN, then I would choose SQ238. Nice time out and nice time to arrive in SIN. 773 is quite good in economy. To HKG, you can choose from five flights, whatever time suits you best. SQ862 is the 77W departing at 1100.

HKG-SIN - Many flights to choose from with the 77W departing at 1600. If you want to connect straight through to MEL, then SQ227 departs at 2100 and is quite a pleasant flight. Otherwise, the SQ217 departing at 0955 (arriving MEL at 2020) is a good option so you can maintain your sleep patterns.

I wouldn't worry about peak hours etc with SIN & HKG airports. They can handle anything and are probably the two most efficient airports in the world. MEL can be a pain sometimes if you arrive close to the arrival times of other flights. MEL Immigration can't seem to handle any more than two international flights at a time. After that, expect delays.

As for deals, you should be able to pick up fares most of the time for around $1100 MEL-HKG return. Sometimes a little cheaper.

Regards
    SQ744

Comment

Q and V are the cheapest classes. Unsure if 77W may be used for 217/218 then, or it only comes into effect June '07. But 217/218 will eventually become served by 77Ws.

Comment

The M class fare is perhaps what SQ744 pointed out - approx $1100 to HKG before taxes and applicable surcharges. It is the most commonly available SQ Y fare from MEL.

Also look out for W class fares which are cheaper but more elusive. The early bird fares usually book into W. I suspect you might have missed the boat on that one.

Currently, there are E fares which I suspect are the low season fares to HKG as they:re only available 01/04-22/04, prices at approx $1060.

I've not seen a Q or V fare to HKG for a long time. And these classes also render you ineligible for FFP credit.

I've had good dealings with Trailfinders on Lonsdale St.

I personally prefer the 773 over the 744 due to the somewhat more spacious seats in Y. For the outbound, SQ238 is perhaps the best option due to being operated by the 773, the very civilised timing and possibility of a straight through connection to HKG if needed.

SQ237 SIN-MEL is also a superior option to SQ227 due to a much better arrival time. SQ227 arrives into a very crowded MEL airport due to the morning rush. You also avoid peak hour tulla freeway traffic by arriving on SQ237. But of course, you'd have to opt between a longer connection in SIN or give up riding on SQ861 HKG-SIN (77W) and go on the later SQ865 if you choose SQ237. Decisions, decisions.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 February 2007, 11:43 PM. Reason: fresh thoughts
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks heaps. Much appreciated information on the vast flight information

Comment

Working...
          X