Sydney: How cold does it get in July?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney: How cold does it get in July?

Looks like my plans to visit Oz are pointing towards a visit in late July, despite my best warning friend's warning that winter does not paint the brightest picture of his home city. I'm not too concerned, because the weather can't get any more gray / sullen than Europe ... or can it? Do Sydneysiders turn grumpy in the off-season?

Seriously, though, how warm does my winterwear have to be? Considering I'll be leaving a (relatively) warm Europe and then proceeding after SYD to tropical Singapore and Malaysia, what's the breadth required for my wardrobe?
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

I get by decently in melb with just a tshirt and a sweater in July. And we're supposed to be colder than Sydney.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      I get by decently in melb with just a tshirt and a sweater in July. And we're supposed to be colder than Sydney.
      What? No pants?

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
        What? No pants?
        I guess you really don't know KeithMEL?!! (Just kidding!)

Thanks, KeithMEL, for the reassurance. New Yorkers say living in California makes people soft. I guess living in Sydney turns former New Yorkers into wimps! (My best friend used to brave the New York wind chill to go clubbing with me.)

Comment

I've often found I need a waterproof/windproof jacket at that time of the year - I have several that I've bought there as I never remember to take one!

I had to go to Tasmania a couple of years ago in July - never been so cold in my life - partly because I didn't have the right clothes and partly because they just don't have good heating if it is really cold.

Comment

Windproof jacket: will definitely make sure to put that into my luggage. Thanks, lhrpete!

Comment

Doesn't get VERY cold in late July in Syd....... nights obviously more chilly than days, but nothing you can't handle with a windbreaker. And yes, Pants are highly recommended too. I would think there's a bylaw requiring decency

p/s I thought your plans were different for that time period?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                p/s I thought your plans were different for that time period?
                Plans were originally to meet a VVVIP visiting London, but this current plan is beginning to look like the only way I can meet my family in KUL in early August and keep my promise to visit my best friend in SYD. I'm hoping said VVVIP will either be be in London early enough, or back in KUL by the time I'm there.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  Plans were originally to meet a VVVIP visiting London, but this current plan is beginning to look like the only way I can meet my family in KUL in early August and keep my promise to visit my best friend in SYD. I'm hoping said VVVIP will either be be in London early enough, or back in KUL by the time I'm there.
                  Well good luck with that VVVIP!

On the other hand, once you've sorted your commitments to family, friends, VVVIP's and the like, i should be there from the 19th to 26th of July.

Comment

Well good luck with that VVVIP!

On the other hand, once you've sorted your commitments to family, friends, VVVIP's and the like, i should be there from the 19th to 26th of July.
                    Well, even with my new plans, I'll definitely be in London most of the time you're there. My estimated departure date, as things look right now, is the 25th.

P.S. You sure you don't know this VVVIP? Your name has come up, complete with incriminating pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      Well, even with my new plans, I'll definitely be in London most of the time you're there. My estimated departure date, as things look right now, is the 25th.

P.S. You sure you don't know this VVVIP? Your name has come up, complete with incriminating pictures.
                      Oh well, it's no problem. Even though you'll be around for most of it, i suspect you'll be entertaining this VVVIP instead. So wherever you can fit a dinner in or supper at 4am even - i'm sure we'll manage

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                        What? No pants?
                        Nah - too shy for that in public.
                        OTOH...
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

And yes, Pants are highly recommended too. I would think there's a bylaw requiring decency
                          Certain establishments or places do require no pants...

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                            Certain establishments or places do require no pants...
                            I don't wear pants all the time - seems to be okay so far

Comment

I don't wear pants all the time - seems to be okay so far

In UK, pants also refer to undies.

Comment

Working...
                              X