anyone does this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone does this?

flying cheap 2.5 PPS sectors for 10 times to qualify for PPS? eg. SIN-CGK, CGK-SIN on the same day

was thinking of doing that to qualify for PPS, haha my PPS dream is making me crazy
    ________
    Ford fusion specifications
    Last edited by rockie111; 17 March 2011, 05:29 AM.

For your reading enjoyment, look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357002

Comment

When you add up the cost of 10 CGK runs in J, I don't think there's much (if any) cost saving compared to a CRWSTAR (for example). The latter is much more interesting (although you also have to factor in the cost of accommodation, food, other transportation etc on your RTW compared to staying (at home ?) in SIN or CGK every night for your 4 days of CGK runs.)

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        When you add up the cost of 10 CGK runs in J, I don't think there's much (if any) cost saving compared to a CRWSTAR (for example). The latter is much more interesting (although you also have to factor in the cost of accommodation, food, other transportation etc on your RTW compared to staying (at home ?) in SIN or CGK every night for your 4 days of CGK runs.)
        sorry, whats a CRWSTAR and RTW?
        ________
        Glass Pipes

Comment

RTW = Round the World

One type of RTW ticket is a RWSTAR (note no first "T") which you can purchase in different classes and different maximum mileages.

For example, a CRWSTAR2 is a RWSTAR ticket in C class (business) with a maximum mileage of 34,000 miles.

Comment

i see, and how can i purchase this kind of RTW tickets? and where can i view more info on them?
            ________
            Suzuki gs550m

Comment

An example of a CRWSTAR2 routing:

ARN-ZRH-MAN-ZRH-FRA-SIN-CGK-SIN-SGN-SIN-PEK-KIX-BKK-NRT-LAX-YVR-YYC-JFK-FRA-GOT

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=A...OR=&MAP-STYLE=

33,946 miles according to Great Circle Mapper (the link above)

Comment

great help! so can they be purchased on the singapore airlines website?
                ________
                Bmw 3 Series
                Last edited by rockie111; 17 March 2011, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rockie111 View Post
                  i see, and how can i purchase this kind of RTW tickets?
                  You buy through a travel agent or airline in either (i) the country where you start your RTW or (ii) Canada. (I don't know why there's this exception for Canada.) The price of your RTW varies depending on your starting country.

where can i view more info on them?
                  Try searching through this forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=413

and have a look in the link which CGK posted above for PPS run ideas.

You can of course also ask the other people in SQTalk, some of whom have done rather a lot of RTWs.

Comment

thanks alot JHM!!! do you have any idea how much a CRWSTAR would cost approximately?
                    ________
                    BABIMAC

Comment

flying cheap 2.5 PPS sectors for 10 times to qualify for PPS? eg. SIN-CGK, CGK-SIN on the same day

was thinking of doing that to qualify for PPS, haha my PPS dream is making me crazy
                      I understand the longing to become a PPS member if part of life is having to travel a lot, wether for personal reasons or business.
                      I somehow don't understand of flying 10 times SIN-CGK, just to become a PPS member and then what? Will you be doing other flights where PPS membership will come in handy?
                      Please don't misunderstand me, if someone has the means, the desire, the dream and it's like a hobby or yearning in life to become a PPS member I say go for it. Great for SQ's financial results.

My concept was that PPS members are flying a lot as it is, sometimes they might be 5 sectors short for re-qualifying, where I could see the need to do a PPS run but doing a PPS run for the whole 25 sectors to qualify I have a hard time comprehending.

Again, maybe there is more in those peoples minds and hearts than I can understand and I am writing this not to critisize those who are doing it, I would just like to understand.
                      Thank you for helping me understand.

Comment

do you have any idea how much a CRWSTAR would cost approximately?
                        It depends where you start. Whilst it might be cheap to start in X (say), you have to factor in the cost of getting to X.

I can't remember exactly now but the CRWSTAR2 above (business class; 34,000 miles; starting in ARN) cost about £4,000 when converted into Sterling. It's not a small amount of money but - on the other hand - buying 10 tickets for CGK runs in J wouldn't be cheap either.

Comment

Originally posted by yvrcnx View Post
                          I would just like to understand.
                          Whilst I can't see the attraction of flying between SIN and CGK ten times, I can see the attractions of a RTW tix, e.g.

you want to see a lot of places on one tix, e.g. 1 or 2 nights in Bangkok; followed by 1 or 2 nights in Saigon, Tokyo, Singapore, etc.

you can break up your RTW into several chunks (going back home/to work after each)

travel in J or F (particularly if your job doesn't allow you to do this)

you like being on planes!

you want to see what all the fuss is about when people talk about the SIN SKL, NRT NH F lounges etc

overall, it's just an experience (albeit not inexpensive)!
                          Last edited by jhm; 10 February 2007, 07:29 AM. Reason: Correcting typos

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Whilst I can't see the attraction of flying between SIN and CGK ten times, I can seethe attractions of a RTW tix, e.g.

you *** to see a lot of places on one tix, e.g. 1 or 2 nights in Bangkok; followed by 1 or 2 nights in Saigon, Tokyo, Singapore, etc.

you can break up your RTW into several chunks (going back home/to work after each)

travel in J or F (particularly if your job doesn't allow you to do this)

you like being on planes!

you want to see what all the fuss is about when people talk about the SIN SKL, NRT NH F lounges etc

overall, it's just an experience (albeit not inexpensive)!
                            i think you hit most of what i felt. i wasnt aware of RTW until you pointed out to me. the reason why i thought of CGK runs was that i have friends in CGK, but after what you have pointed out to me, i would want to try RTW
                            ________
                            YAMAHA FZR400 SPECIFICATIONS

Comment

Thank you jhm. Yes, I can relate to that and understand that.
                              Travelling around the world is a great experience and can be very, very enriching in many ways, especially being able to go to places you have never been, experiencing cultures and countries is great.
                              I have done quite a few RTW in C and F and thought I have seen a lot but on a recent, though not RTW, trip I have been to places I haven't been before, even with all my previous experience of travelling I didn't think much could top of what I had experienced yet I was in awe by the places I have been to the last 3 month and I am carrying that experience with me every day.
                              If all that comes with the added benefit of reaching PPS even better.

To rockie111, I hope you have a great experience whatever you choose to do, wherever you decide to go in the end. And yes, I do love and enjoy flying myself especially on SQ.
                              You would think that once you have done so much of it you might get tired but it's always something new and exciting.

Comment

Working...
                              X