Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T3 Arrivals Lounge Now Closed

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    Last I checked there is one Landside near the T3 Arrivals mate..

I'll be surprised if it gets much usage at all..
    Shuttered. Ceased operations earlier this month.

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
    Shuttered. Ceased operations earlier this month.
    Thanks for the info. At least I know I m not hallucinating or imagining things, haha..

Comment

Not surprised with that development. Quite a silly spot for a lounge... one of the more glaring mistakes in T3...

Comment

Not surprised with that development. Quite a silly spot for a lounge... one of the more glaring mistakes in T3...
        It wasn't so much the location, IMO. Some pax arriving early morning from, say, LHR and staying in town might want to take a shower before heading out to their hotels. But it seemed that neither Changi or SQ was willing to position it effectively as an arrival service. I don't think they tried to promote it, for example by raising much awareness about it.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Well, most hotels in the major areas are at most a 15-20 minute taxi ride away - I'd say that its a combination of poor promotion and not much pent-up demand anyway... most of the other services they were touting next to it were also rather unnecessary, I found, being Changi.

Anyway, let's see what they do with the space now...

Comment

Last I checked there is one Landside near the T3 Arrivals mate..
            Originally posted by slacker View Post
            Thanks for the info. At least I know I m not hallucinating or imagining things, haha..
            Well you learn something new everyday. I've never seen this place. Granted I don't spend much time landside in T3. Where exactly is it then, near arrivals ?.

They certainly haven't promoted it well at all. I haven't seen or heard of it, and it's not as though I haven't been through Changi once or twice since T3 opened.

Comment

True, you learn something new every day. Didn't know it existed!

But then, I've only been through Changi T3 once (or twice maybe).

Probably just wasn't promoted well enough

Comment

Well, most hotels in the major areas are at most a 15-20 minute taxi ride away - I'd say that its a combination of poor promotion and not much pent-up demand anyway... most of the other services they were touting next to it were also rather unnecessary, I found, being Changi.
                It's now hard to tell whether there was any demand because the promotion was so bad. I only really heard of it because I knew someone involved with T3 planning, and I could only find it (turn left after immigration and walk past the luggage carousels) because I looked for it out of curiosity about whether it was a PP lounge.

I can certainly imagine sample profiles of the potential target customers.

(a) Pax arriving early morning, particularly on long-hauls (e.g., SQ317, QF32), who prefer a stopover in SIN to continuing on right away to their ultimate destination. A shower would be great after a long journey, and would help combat the fact that you might still be in your departure city's time zone. A passenger could get to his hotel in 20 minutes but that early in the morning, he might not be able to take such a shower. The inquiries over at FT (I know, hardly a representative sample ) about arrival lounges in SIN tells me a lounge had potential.

(b) Passengers departing on nighttime medium- to long-haul flights who do not have access to FF lounges. They had just spent the day enjoying the city, with their luggage held by the hotel, and want to freshen up before or after checking in (if before checking in, it will give them the chance not to have to lighten their carryons) for their flights.

Of course, for these passengers to be served, the price has to be reasonable and there should be amenities like a baggage check facility. I didn't see the latter, and I don't know what the charge was for non-PP members.

Most importantly, given that this was a new service, the pax must become aware of this option and why they might appreciate it. The sign makers at Changi -- world-class in their capability -- were obviously not directed to implement that.

Comment

I think I know why I haven't seen this place : I never exit through those immigration desks!. I wondered what jjpb3 was talking about when he said turn left after immigration. That would take you into the wall where I always seem to go out, near belt 41.

This place seems to be after the other immigrations desks, near belt 48. It's actually labelled as 'Arrival Lounge' on the Changi interactive map.

Comment

Bad directions from me! I meant 'customs', not 'immigration'.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      It's now hard to tell whether there was any demand because the promotion was so bad. I only really heard of it because I knew someone involved with T3 planning, and I could only find it (turn left after immigration and walk past the luggage carousels) because I looked for it out of curiosity about whether it was a PP lounge.

I can certainly imagine sample profiles of the potential target customers.

(a) Pax arriving early morning, particularly on long-hauls (e.g., SQ317, QF32), who prefer a stopover in SIN to continuing on right away to their ultimate destination. A shower would be great after a long journey, and would help combat the fact that you might still be in your departure city's time zone. A passenger could get to his hotel in 20 minutes but that early in the morning, he might not be able to take such a shower. The inquiries over at FT (I know, hardly a representative sample ) about arrival lounges in SIN tells me a lounge had potential.

(b) Passengers departing on nighttime medium- to long-haul flights who do not have access to FF lounges. They had just spent the day enjoying the city, with their luggage held by the hotel, and want to freshen up before or after checking in (if before checking in, it will give them the chance not to have to lighten their carryons) for their flights.

Of course, for these passengers to be served, the price has to be reasonable and there should be amenities like a baggage check facility. I didn't see the latter, and I don't know what the charge was for non-PP members.

Most importantly, given that this was a new service, the pax must become aware of this option and why they might appreciate it. The sign makers at Changi -- world-class in their capability -- were obviously not directed to implement that.
                      In both the examples you've pointed out, perhaps it might have been better located at Departures, rather than Arrivals, as that would afford the convenience of checking in/printing their boarding passes whilst also allowing non-premium pax a more accessible lounge - otherwise pax would have to trek downstairs and then up again... I think that was the 'mistake', although it really might not be viewed as such whilst they were designing the interiors of T3. Anyway, there isn't a definitive 'answer' per se...

Don't think we missed much either!

Comment

My first example was arriving passengers, who were what the lounge was ostensibly for. But good point about departing pax.

You're right about the fact that we aren't missing much.
                        Last edited by jjpb3; 3 November 2009, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                          It wasn't so much the location, IMO. Some pax arriving early morning from, say, LHR and staying in town might want to take a shower before heading out to their hotels. But it seemed that neither Changi or SQ was willing to position it effectively as an arrival service. I don't think they tried to promote it, for example by raising much awareness about it.
                          Dont think this will be the case as he may have bags to collect. This type of concept is only good if pax cannot get transport to city etc. Which should basically never happen for Singapore. Guess the designer never travel !

Comment

Working...
                          X