Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is airport tax refundable to transit passengers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is airport tax refundable to transit passengers?

Hi all

I am planning to book two flights for my parents under two itineraries: Kuching (KCH) - Singapore (SIN) with Malaysia Airlines and Singapore - Brisbane (BNE) with Singapore Airlines. There is a layover of 7 hours in SIN and we are hoping to check through the luggage in KCH to BNE. If this can be done, I will book a room in the Ambassador Transit Hotel for my parents. This would also mean that they will be staying within the transit area without the need to go through immigration. Now the question is - for passengers transitting in SIN but the arriving and departing flights are booked on different itinearies - are we able to obtain a refund on airport tax if we remain on the airside? As far as I know, transit passengers in Changi travelling with one itinerary are not required to pay the airport tax.

Many thanks in advance

I don't think so. You've bought the right to make a stopover and check-in in Singapore but you've effectively waived that right by staying airside. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Comment

I don't think you will have much luck.. Even with trying to get the luggage checked all the way through from KCH-BNE. SQ and MH AFAIK does not have any form of alliance (except for the KUL-SIN / SIN-KUL shuttle flights).
      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I would not waste your and other peoples' time by trying to get a refund because:

(i) the relevant laws/regulations/etc may require your connecting flight to be on the same ticket; and

(ii) even if they don't, SQ will not refund you because it's impossible to guarantee that your parents will take the onward flight. What happens if that onward flight is cancelled, the date is changed etc.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses... Yeah my gut feel is probably a No too. I won't do anything more than just asking a question at the transfer counter in SIN, that is provided the luggage is checked all the way through to BNE

Comment

AFIAK The only way to achieve this would be to book an interline ticket through an IATA travel agent.

IME airport taxes are NEVER refunded.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldwell View Post
              Thanks for all the responses... Yeah my gut feel is probably a No too. I won't do anything more than just asking a question at the transfer counter in SIN......
              You can request a refund on airport tax for SIN.

There is a CAAS information desk at each terminal where you can apply. You need to fill out a refund application form, copy of your passport, inbound boarding pass and outbound ticket receipt. Whether you can receive your refund or not is another matter.

I have applied for refunds several times and only received refund once. One was referred back to SQ for refund, one was denied because the agent cannot understand that my inbound arrived +2 days, some I have never heard from and only one was processed for refund after 3 months.

See also:
              http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=refund

Comment

Yeah it may be worth trying. In the Pearl River Delta, there is a comparable tax refund if you take a boat from MAC to HKG for your onward flight out of HKG to an international destination. This is usually done after you have completed your first (ferry) leg.

Comment

Working...
                X