An SQTalker's biased guide to *A travel within Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An SQTalker's biased guide to *A travel within Europe

For all y'all who need to use *A partners when you travel within Europe, I thought I'd begin a thread for what to expect and what to steel yourself against. Caveat emptor: the views expressed below reflect my prejudices, preferences, and experiences. OK? Oh one more thing: the comments below are mainly about business class travel.

Best hub:

Toss up between CPH and ZRH. CPH has warm wood furnishings, and quite comprehensive eating options in case you need to have a real meal, instead of the options at a lounge. ZRH is a lot more modern and spacious, but the best eating option, IMO, is before you get to passport control (up the stairs after you check in at the LX counters: it's a Thai restaurant).

For shopping, CPH has a Georg Jensen boutique as well as a Tumi+Samsonite mini-store. ZRH has fantastic watch stores.

Best *G lounge:

SK's in LHR and in CPH. I have to admit, I haven't been to the LH SEN lounges in MUC, so my sample may not be complete. SEN lounges in FRA: fuhgeddaboutit. I like the potato salad, but that's it. Sorry, SQfg, I know you like the long bar at ZRH, but the smoky smell turns me off. I've also tended to be there in the afternoon rush hours, when it has been difficult to find a seat far away from the maddening crowds.

Best fast track:

If you have a C or F BP, you can go up the stairs at ZRH from the LX checkin desks and enjoy a shorter time in the queue. Plus, you end up at the same level as the LX lounge.

At CPH, they've improved the security procedures so the lines tend to be shorter now than they were a month ago. There's a fast track lane if you hold a C BP from SK to the left of the main security lines, and I've been able to use them with a *G card (my QPP card), but a friend tells me they've restricted access to Eurobonus *G whenever he has tried to use it (he's AC *G). YMMV, perhaps.

FRA: nothing struck me as special. Maybe I've just been grumpiest when I have to fly through FRA.

Best onboard service and meals:

The meals award definitely does not go to LH with the stingy cold cuts served at the dinner flights I've been on. SK serves a proper hot entree, but the taste is so variable, it's hard for me to give an unqualified recommendation. Make sure to know that the first time they ask you for your drinks, they mean the drinks you'll have with the dinner as well.

LX crews have been my favorite. Very friendly, and willing to banter. LH and SK crews have been friendly as well, but I seem to relate to the Swiss better. Why that is, will be a topic for my future therapist to explore.

Best onboard hardware:

SK feels like the most rundown of the lot. I actually like LH's cabins. The light gray leather is very soothing, and they've tended not to feel roughed up like many of BA's cabins. LX can be more hit-or-miss. This past week, I got a plane with dark brown leather seats. Very very nice.

My very biased conclusion:

My favorite carrier is LX, because their service and their airport move me. They just need SK to teach them about how to create lounges. And their checkin agents could be a bit more friendly.

LH I like because of their efficiency and good standard of onboard service. But for intra-Europe, they haven't been able to make me remember a stellar flight.

SK, they're coasting on the basis of their lounges and outstanding hub airport. I hope they can begin focusing on the onboard experience again. They have a lot of potential.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 4 February 2007, 09:44 PM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Excellent review - and yes, I still like the long bar

Comment

well done and i agree with your POV.
      There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
      If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Thanks for the tips, am planning some trips within Europe, and definitely will keep these in mind. Btw, how's overnighting in ZRH like?

Comment

I've never had to overnight at ZRH, thank God. If I had to, I'd stay at the airport Hilton (very nice staff if you're at least HH Gold, and the burger is by far the best in Switzerland ) or at the Moevenpick (nice restaurants, in fact better than the Hilton's; to get miles, though, you need to be a Miles&More or Flying Blue member).

Comment

I have tried to price some flights to BCN, and looks like those that are really cheap requires me to fly in late from BCN, and left LHR only the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              . If I had to, I'd stay at the airport Hilton (very nice staff if you're at least HH Gold, and the burger is by far the best in Switzerland )
              I've stayed at this hilton a couple of times - nothing to shout about, but it's very friendly and in a nice wooded area just outside the airport. There's a free shuttle that takes you to and fro the airport and the drivers are really friendly

Having said that - it's not cheap, but as JJPb3 alludes to, if you have HH Gold - they treat you quite well

Comment

For all y'all who need to use *A partners when you travel within Europe, I thought I'd begin a thread for what to expect and what to steel yourself against. Caveat emptor: the views expressed below reflect my prejudices, preferences, and experiences. OK? Oh one more thing: the comments below are mainly about business class travel.

Best hub:

Toss up between CPH and ZRH. CPH has warm wood furnishings, and quite comprehensive eating options in case you need to have a real meal, instead of the options at a lounge. ZRH is a lot more modern and spacious, but the best eating option, IMO, is before you get to passport control (up the stairs after you check in at the LX counters: it's a Thai restaurant).

For shopping, CPH has a Georg Jensen boutique as well as a Tumi+Samsonite mini-store. ZRH has fantastic watch stores.

Best *G lounge:

SK's in LHR and in CPH. I have to admit, I haven't been to the LH SEN lounges in MUC, so my sample may not be complete. SEN lounges in FRA: fuhgeddaboutit. I like the potato salad, but that's it. Sorry, SQfg, I know you like the long bar at ZRH, but the smoky smell turns me off. I've also tended to be there in the afternoon rush hours, when it has been difficult to find a seat far away from the maddening crowds.

Best onboard service and meals:

The meals award definitely does not go to LH with the stingy cold cuts served at the dinner flights I've been on. SK serves a proper hot entree, but the taste is so variable, it's hard for me to give an unqualified recommendation. Make sure to know that the first time they ask you for your drinks, they mean the drinks you'll have with the dinner as well.

LX crews have been my favorite. Very friendly, and willing to banter. LH and SK crews have been friendly as well, but I seem to relate to the Swiss better. Why that is, will be a topic for my future therapist to explore.

[My very biased conclusion:

My favorite carrier is LX, because their service and their airport move me. They just need SK to teach them about how to create lounges. And their checkin agents could be a bit more friendly.

LH I like because of their efficiency and good standard of onboard service. But for intra-Europe, they haven't been able to make me remember a stellar flight.

SK, they're coasting on the basis of their lounges and outstanding hub airport. I hope they can begin focusing on the onboard experience again. They have a lot of potential.
                Great post - however, if you were a SK member for about 9 years, you would see how the SK lounge at CPH has deteriorated - it was actually *fantastic* when they had refurbished it...

I was just there last summer, and was astonished how run-down it was, as compared to when I used to fly on SK through CPH all the time about 4-6 years ago!

LX crews are always friendly, unlike most of the Swiss-German citizens, but maybe when they fly out of CH, they start becoming unihibited! (I know this happened to an ex-girlfriend who was Swiss...and reportedly used to be a Swissair FA, but before I met her...)

I just tried OS in economy long-haul and short-haul (VIE-HAM), and they were pretty good, food-wise, not service-wise...(food is important for me, especially when LH is handing out *boxes* of fried food in Y, both BOM-FRA & FRA-EWR! (that's when I go on SQ22/21!))

The OS aircraft are not that great, but at least you get something decent to eat, and compared to SK (ex-CPH, might I add!), LH blows SK away with food quality - they actually serve the national dish of DK, while SK is penny-wise with their food, so inter-Europe I would choose LH over SK any day!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
                  Great post - however, if you were a SK member for about 9 years, you would see how the SK lounge at CPH has deteriorated - it was actually *fantastic* when they had refurbished it...

I was just there last summer, and was astonished how run-down it was, as compared to when I used to fly on SK through CPH all the time about 4-6 years ago!
                  I missed the glory days, then. That's too bad. The food selection in the CPH SAS Scandinavia Lounge has a lot of room for improvement; what's with the cold cuts, cheap cheese and creamy glops of mayonnaise?

Originally posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
                  ...compared to SK (ex-CPH, might I add!), LH blows SK away with food quality - they actually serve the national dish of DK, while SK is penny-wise with their food, so inter-Europe I would choose LH over SK any day!
                  Not me . IME, the LHR-FRA dinner offerings in C have been pretty pathetic on LH. I've only ever been served one or two thin slices of cold cuts (some sort of ham, IIRC), with sprigs of lettuce to bulk up the presentation. On the LHR-CPH routes, the SK hot entrees might be unappetizing at times, but they're substantial. It's the weird drinks service (all the drinks served before the main meal) on SK that annoys me.

I think BA meal service is far better, although the on-the-ground experience at LHR (mainly at landing) subtracts substantially from the in-flight experience.

Thanks for sharing your experiences as an EB FF, by the way.

Comment

For LHR-FRA in C, the BA lounge access in T1 makes a difference. LH lounge is very basic. With BA arriving in FRA T2 (bus gate all the time for the flight I have taken), it's a pain to go to the train station.

For FRA-LHR, BA lounge in FRA has almost nothing... The crowded LH SEN has more food.

Certainly I have not done the dinner time flight. But the small cold cuts are fine with me, since I always have the lounge food prior to the flight.

But again, LH FAs LHR-bound are very attractive usually.

Comment

On the subject of best fast track, I hope that when the *A airlines move into LHR T1, they (like BA currently) will pay BAA to operate Zone R for their premium and status pax. IMO, it's currently one of the (only) nicer things about the whole LHR experience!

Comment

I missed the glory days, then. That's too bad. The food selection in the CPH SAS Scandinavia Lounge has a lot of room for improvement; what's with the cold cuts, cheap cheese and creamy glops of mayonnaise?
                        At least that (food) has remained pretty much the same, but the decor, keeping up with technology/furniture/personnel, has been run down...

Took a peek at the SK LHR lounge, looks good, but no time to visit...

Not me . IME, the LHR-FRA dinner offerings in C have been pretty pathetic on LH. I've only ever been served one or two thin slices of cold cuts (some sort of ham, IIRC), with sprigs of lettuce to bulk up the presentation. On the LHR-CPH routes, the SK hot entrees might be unappetizing at times, but they're substantial. It's the weird drinks service (all the drinks served before the main meal) on SK that annoys me.
                        My experience has been limited from FRA-CPH-FRA on SK, within Europe, but I thought they made you pay for meals in Y now?? Also note that I have never taken SK in biz on regional routes, except once HAM-CPH, which wasn't that great....

Thanks for sharing your experiences as an EB FF, by the way.
                        You're welcome!
                        Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; 7 February 2007, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X