Requal loophole closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requal loophole closed?

As some of you might recall, my flying pattern changed somewhat last year and I wasn't going to clock 70 sectors like I did the previous year. I was expecting to get only about 15, but as of Dec ended up getting 22.5. Being QPP6, having 70 sectors the year before, and 192.5 in total - I figure I was good to go for QPP7.

Alas not. I've been unceremoniously dumped to Silver as of today.

I wrote to the PPS coordinator, asking for a courtesy extension seeing how I have a J flight booked (and waitlisted!!) in mid-Feb. And I need status to clear the waitlist!

gah. Maybe my math is faulty, but I coulda sworn I was a shoo-in for requalification.

Firstly welcome to SQTalk fimo! -

I've always thought that the averaging rule was not an automated process - and that you had to ask for it. I'm not sure, as i've never used it before though.

Comment

Thanks SQFlyergirl! Didn't realise I hadn't registered here until I tried to post today!

I've requalified through the loophole a couple of times, never had to ask for it, and mind you I was requalifying early in the past even. Thankfully I have LH Sen to tide me over, but it's just annoying in light of all the other cut backs people have been reporting.

Comment

Welcome fimo.
        I have never requalified with the 'loophole' so can't share my experience.
        I thought it would have been automatic too.

Comment

I am a relatively new PPS and have been reading about requal and the averaging 'loophole' on here, but I'm still a bit confused about how this all works.

I'm QPP1 thru Dec/07. If I earn 25 sectors by Jul/07, at that point, does my:
          1. PPS sector count reset to 0?
          2. QPP1 turns into QPP2?
          3. qualification date gets extended another year to Dec/08?

If the above is true, then for the rest of 2007 (Aug-Dec), I don't need to worry about earning any more PPS sectors and can wait till 2008 to start earning them? For some reason, I don't think that's how it works...

Comment

1) not exactly. PPS sector count will be reset on Sep, 30 (3 month before expiration date)
            2) yes but on Sep, 30
            3) yes.

Final answer: yes, but not AUG-DEC.... OCT-DEC.... By the way, the sectors you will earn between october and december will count for the next requal.
            cheers
            luke
            There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
            If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Luke, I understood the rules slightly differently. As I would never be in a position to take advantage of the requal averaging method , my understanding is probably flawed. I understood averaging to have the following features:

1. SQ checks for excess sectors at the end of the 9th month of your requal year
              2. If you've earned more than the required 25 sectors in the previous year, then they average your total sectors over the past two requal years ([previous requal year + 9 months of current requal year] divided by two) and requalify you if the average is at or above 25.
              3. At that point, your QPP count goes up by one; your sectors reset to zero; and you'll have, in effect, fifteen months to requalify (the last 3 months of this requal year plus the usual 12 months of your actual requal year).
              4. Rinse and repeat

In sfvoyage's example, it depends on whether he had excess sectors in his first year (non-QPP --> QPP1). Then as you point out, at the 9 month-mark in September, the averaging method will push him up to QPP2. (That is, unless fimo's experience was a foreshadowing of a new policy.)

It's likely I misunderstood the rules, so I await clarification from other SQ experts.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Jjpb3... you cannot excess between non qpp- qpp1.... can you?
                when u hit 25, your qualification date is set to the end of the following month of the next year....

My case:

first sector earned: January 2004
                25th sector earned: 26th July 2004

I turned to QPP1 till Aug 31st (2005)

Your excess in the nonQPP-QPP1 is limited to the exceeding quota of the qualifying flight...

AM i wrong?

Comment

about the case mentioned, i think the average method is (erm... WAS) enforced only at the end of 12-month period)... wasn't it?
                  and, moreover, generally the average method should consider all your qualification years, shouldn't it?

BTW, i never used the averaging method to re-qualify, so i'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
                    Jjpb3... you cannot excess between non qpp- qpp1.... can you?
                    when u hit 25, your qualification date is set to the end of the following month of the next year....
                    That's true. I forgot about that. That would mean the 9-month loophole is only for QPP2 --> QPP3 and later years then?

Comment

and, moreover, generally the average method should consider all your qualification years, shouldn't it?

BTW, i never used the averaging method to re-qualify, so i'm not sure.
                      I don't know the answer, Luke. It's quite likely my interpretation is wrong, as excess sectors are something I can only dream about.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        That's true. I forgot about that. That would mean the 9-month loophole is only for QPP2 --> QPP3 and later years then?
                        No - it's for QPP1 TO 2 AND later. It only does not apply from QPP0 to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                          No - it's for QPP1 TO 2 AND later. It only does not apply from QPP0 to 1.
                          It does not matter much if it includes QPP0 to 1 cos it is always 25!

Comment

Ah, clear now. My reasoning skills are evaporating! I'm glad I no longer need to take standardized exams to get to the next point of my career.

Comment

1) not exactly. PPS sector count will be reset on Sep, 30 (3 month before expiration date)
                              2) yes but on Sep, 30
                              3) yes.

Final answer: yes, but not AUG-DEC.... OCT-DEC.... By the way, the sectors you will earn between october and december will count for the next requal.
                              cheers
                              luke
                              Thanks, LUKE. This means that, in my example above, in the absence of the requal loophole/rule, I could safely switch to focus on another airline (if I so choose) Aug-Sep, and come back to SQ Oct-Dec, for the purpose of PPS requalification.

However, due to the requal rule, as described by JJPB3, I should still stay with SQ Aug-Sep, as this will help me requalify easier next year.

Is this correct? I think I'm starting to make sense of all of this. Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X