2nd Most Expensive City in Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Most Expensive City in Asia

Looks like Singapore has overtaken Hong Kong among the most expensive Asian city ranking. Now only behind Tokyo.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...450029/1/.html

From my recent trip to SIN, I have the similar impression too. With the 10% service charge + 7% GST imposed by most restaurants, I think food in HKG is cheaper than SIN.

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
      I have the similar impression too. With the 10% service charge + 7% GST imposed by most restaurants
      If I'm not mistaken, didn't it used to be something like $SGD+++ (which broken down was like 10% service charge, 5% GST and 2% someothertaxwhichnameescapesmeatthemoment?) and now they've just added the 2% to the 5% GST?

Comment

Some places charge an additional 1% CESS tax - more info here:

http://singapore.angloinfo.com/count...re/corptax.asp

"Cess
        Cess is levied at the rate of one percent on all cessable items sold by tourist hotels, tourist food establishments and tourist public houses. IRAS administers and collects Cess on behalf of The Singapore Tourism Board (STB).

Cessable items include:

Room occupied in hotel
        Sale of food or drink
        Admission charges
        Hire of coats and ties
        Sale of admission tickets or cover charge
        Corkage charge
        For detailed information on registering for Cess and how to make payments: Click here"

Thus, an additional 18% in tax and gratuities is easily achievable, and I wholeheartedly agree that SIN is getting pricier by the day.

Comment

That's the one Kyo, it will be brought back into effect for the F1 week I believe...

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
            That's the one Kyo, it will be brought back into effect for the F1 week I believe...
            For the F1, there is a special F1 tax on room rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              Some places charge an additional 1% CESS tax - more info here:

"Cess
              Cess is levied at the rate of one percent on all cessable items sold by tourist hotels, tourist food establishments and tourist public houses. IRAS administers and collects Cess on behalf of The Singapore Tourism Board (STB).

Cessable items include:

Room occupied in hotel
              Sale of food or drink
              Admission charges
              Hire of coats and ties
              Sale of admission tickets or cover charge
              Corkage charge
              For detailed information on registering for Cess and how to make payments: Click here"

Thus, an additional 18% in tax and gratuities is easily achievable, and I wholeheartedly agree that SIN is getting pricier by the day.
              Cess tax ceased on 1 July 2007.

Comment

The tax they bring in for F1 is even a different tax on top of everything else, it is a specific F1 tax, which i think runs around 25-30% but which is covered in the "Room Rate" and not split for visability.

Showing the tax on a receipt would lead to arguments for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                  Cess tax ceased on 1 July 2007.
                  Thanks for the heads up, SuperJonJon - no wonder I haven't seen it on my bills recently. But I was so certain I saw one on one of my receipts last year... need to go check.. might be my imagination, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

"Cess
                    A bit like China (more so in the past) with one price to rip off tourists and another for locals. When Cess was still around, did that mean there were tourist food establishments and non-tourist food establishments ?

Comment

SuperJonJon & scooby5, thanks for the clarification/heads up RE: F1 tax.

I find hotel bills in Singapore are confusing enough without having to add this "F1 tax" on top of the equation.

25-30% that's indeed quite a mark up indeed

Is this tax going to the STB?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        A bit like China (more so in the past) with one price to rip off tourists and another for locals. When Cess was still around, did that mean there were tourist food establishments and non-tourist food establishments ?
                        From what I understand, everyone that dines at a CESS establisment are liable for the CESS tax. Not all food establishments were required to collect CESS, I believe only "high class" restaurants and bars were required to collect CESS. Food courts, fast food establishments do not have CESS.

Comment

SuperJonJon & scooby5, thanks for the clarification/heads up RE: F1 tax.

I find hotel bills in Singapore are confusing enough without having to add this "F1 tax" on top of the equation.

25-30% that's indeed quite a mark up indeed

Is this tax going to the STB?
                          Not sure if it goes directly to STB but officially it was to pay for the costs of "redeveloping" the marina area to facilitate the F1.

Comment

Yep living in Sing is not cheap but if you go out of the expat/tourist areas there are plenty of food courts and cheap food places. Booze is generally expensive though and rents are just laughable. Still quality of life is good so its swings and roundabouts.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                              Not sure if it goes directly to STB but officially it was to pay for the costs of "redeveloping" the marina area to facilitate the F1.
                              Oh, I thought that revenue came from the increase in ERP charges?

Comment

Working...
                              X