Is there time to go into Downtown Singapore during Transit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there time to go into Downtown Singapore during Transit

I thought I would get a personal opinion on this and that is I have a 5 Hour and 55 Minute Transit Stop in Singapore coming back from Vietnam.Would that be enough time for me to clear immigration and customs.Get The MRT to Orchard Road for a Couple of Hours and Catch the MRT back to Changi Airport by 9:30pm at the very latest for me to get on my onward Connection through to Adelaide or would I be better off staying at Changi Airport and take in all the facilities the Airport has to offer.Any Help would be most welcome.

I am through checked from HANOI through to Adelaide on the way home if anyone is wondering

Arrival Details are listed below:

SQ175 From Hanoi at 5:55pm on the 1st of January 2010

Connecting onto:

SQ269 Singapore to Adelaide at 11:50pm on the 1st January 2010

Those are peak periods. By my guesstimates, you would have about 30-45 minutes by the time you get to Orchard, 60 mins if you time everything just 'right' (which I'm willing to bet you can't).

There's also a high chance you'd have less time if you mix up any stops etc.

Additionally, since the 1st of January is a public holiday, I'd take a taxi as it'd be 'off-peak', and cheaper with no funny surcharges. The airport surcharge being not a 'funny' surcharge, of course.

Comment

Yeah, 1 Jan is a public holiday, to my experience, not many cars and shoppers on Orchard Road due to the evening before (31 Dec) people will be partying till wee hours of 1 Jan, so I guess a trip to downtown singapore will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        The airport surcharge being not a 'funny' surcharge, of course.
        More of an 'annoying' surcharge, $3 during off peak and $5 during peak.

This surcharge applies irrespective of a public holiday, right?

Again, SQADL333 taxi's are your friend just for the shear convenience of them...

All things going to plan, landing on time etc... You should be on Orchard Road somewhere between 6:30pm & 7pm leaving you with a decent 3-4hrs of Orchardness..

Comment

If you go via the Singapore free bus tour counter in T2 or T3, you don't have to take the tour, but they do issue you with a free MRT pass and/or bus tickets on the hourly express bus to Bugis/Suntec - you may not want to use it, but worth having just in case

The last couple of times I used it, the ticket came in a folder with shopping and food coupons (including some free ones - e.g. free slice of pizza at the airport)

Comment

Certainly enough time, but like the others, would recommend you take a taxi. It would be a lot quicker, esp given that you already have so little time. It does not cost much to get a taxi anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
              Yeah, 1 Jan is a public holiday, to my experience, not many cars and shoppers on Orchard Road due to the evening before (31 Dec) people will be partying till wee hours of 1 Jan, so I guess a trip to downtown singapore will be good.
              Actually, Orchard Road is jammed almost every evening nowadays, from just before Scotts Road all the way to Cathay and then ard the Raffles City area. Taxi coming from Changi will hit slow crawl on East Coast Parkway just before the Rochore exit at evening peak hrs, even on public holidays.

Depending on where exactly you are hoping to get off and hang ard, Kyo may be right that you'll end up having only abt 30 min to 1 hr. My suggestion is avoid ION, Takashimaya are at all costs - you'll end up watching your taxi fare meter for abt 30 mins.

Out of curiosity, is there anything in particular you are looking out for in Orchard? Just want to take a quick sneak of SIN? cos if there's nothing in particular you are looking for, you may be able to save travelling time and soak in some of SIN in either Tampines or Parkway Parade area. I stay in the western part of SIN so cant really advice any other places, but think either of these two spots by MRT will give you abt 2 -3 hrs.

Comment

Probably Tampines will be a better choice, if shopping is the main aim... you have three malls next to each other.....

Tampines Mall, Century Square and Tampines One.... other then those three, you also have plenty of neighbour stores around the bus terminal / MRT station...
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                  Probably Tampines will be a better choice, if shopping is the main aim... you have three malls next to each other.....

Tampines Mall, Century Square and Tampines One.... other then those three, you also have plenty of neighbour stores around the bus terminal / MRT station...
                  And you'll get to meet with the heartlanders

Tampines is really crowded at times but it sure its pretty decent for shopping with Tampines One.

Comment

I think Tampines would be a much better option.

Now how to get there from Changi Airport using the MRT?

Comment

Too easy, take the MRT at the Changi Airport station, change to the green line going direction EAST... end up in Tampines... follow the signs

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        Too easy, take the MRT at the Changi Airport station, change to the green line going direction EAST... end up in Tampines... follow the signs
                        From airport, take west bound to Tanah Merah, get off, cross the platform, take the east bound, 2nd stop, you are at Tampines... Tampines station is smack right in the middle of where all the action is.....
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Yes, kapitan's answer is more descriptive - use that one!

Comment

Plenty of time for the OP to get into the City, and agree better by taxi than MRT. However, is there a particular reason for Orchard Road ?.

If looking to have something to eat and drink I would head to Boat or Clarke Quay. Can't comment on Tampines as I haven't been there yet.

Of more interest is, where you going in Hanoi for New Years Eve ?.

Comment

If the OP is looking at luxury brands and all that, then a stop in town is necessary, but if you want to soak up the suburban atmosphere in Singapore then Tampines is probably a good place to be in.

Another alternative to Tampines would be to take the bus. It will save you the hassle of taking the MRT. You can take service 27. Please refer to www.transitlink.com.sg or www.sbstransit.com.sg

Comment

Working...
                              X