Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel , close to MRT ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel , close to MRT ?

Hi bros ,

I am going SIN for a week starts next TUE .

Any suggestions looking around in east coast area ?

I did a search and it seems Eunos / MRT is quite nearby. Any suggestions to get to the MRT from hotel ?

I have yet got a chance to stay in Roxy.

I believe once got access to your marvellous MRT, can reach any place with ease.

I would also like to do some work-out , I 've Fitness First membership and there are about 9 or something around in city .

Any once can give me some idea what is most close to my stay ?

I wanna take GroupX class and having access to swimming pool pse.

Bro & Sisters, thanks in advance.

Jasper

Hello!

Here's my opinion - I'll check on some of your other questions and get back to you as I'm not sure (i.e. gym)

Eunos MRT is actually quite far away if you're walking. There should be a bus (or a few) but presently I can't remember what bus goes on Still Rd South from Parkway Parade Shopping Centre (which is opposite the Grand Mercure Roxy). If you had to walk all the way, it may take you a good 20-30 minutes, so it's not so convenient at all.

There may also be buses going towards Paya Lebar (station closer to town than Eunos). This may be more 'direct' as the main road in front of your hotel tends to 'shape' all the traffic more or less parallel to the ECP highway.

No idea about Fitness First and I'm quite surprised if this gym allows members from overseas to use their facilities. Not a member, don't know for sure.

I didn't know Fitness First even had swimming pools here..

Comment

Hi Kyo,

Good to see you changed icon . Sad couldn't go wiz you ..

I took a day sick leave after that weekend....really bad ..

Yep.. FF allows overseas member to take max. 30 days use 3XX worldwide clubs for free .

----------------------------------
      Thanks. .and the big blue one is a nice shot . .

Jasper

Comment

Where you are staying, thats where a lot of actions are.....

You are located in a place where there is rich Peranakan culture, i.e. old Straits Settlement Chinese, cross marriage between chinese (Admiral Cheng Ho time) and local Malay population.

You are a short walk from some of the best local food in Singapore. Towards the sotuh, you will have the beach (not clear water though), where on weekends you will have plenty to do, cycling, roller balding or just plain enjoy the scenary at the ladies who blades or cycle pass you, or you can take a run, east or west on the track, which from one end to the other is about 20 km.

You also have one of the biggest shopping centre within walking distance of the hotel, Parkway... and just next to the shopping centre is a suburban shopping district where local residents patronise....

I have not been to Roxy some time now, but it used to be the mini Orchard Tower at the basement of the hotel. Maybe some of the local folks who are in the area can confirm.... but nightlife wise, there are a couple of nice bars and pubs to hang out, a couple of which are by the beach.......
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post

I have not been to Roxy some time now, but it used to be the mini Orchard Tower at the basement of the hotel. Maybe some of the local folks who are in the area can confirm.... but nightlife wise, there are a couple of nice bars and pubs to hang out, a couple of which are by the beach.......
          As I sorta live next door to this place, I know there is still a mini Orchard Tower there - just not as crowded.

By the way, bus access from the hotel to Paya Lebar MRT or even all the way to Orchard road is very good.

There is a True Fitness outlet at Parkway Parade across from the hotel, so if the OP can't access to Fitness First, short term True Fitness membership can be a good alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
            You are located in a place where there is rich Peranakan culture
            Oh yeah.. Laksa is a must try for Peranakan food there

Jasperlife: You'll have to take a bus from the road in front of the hotel to get to the train station (Eunos is the nearest). I believe Service No 15 goes there but no worries about which bus to take.. all the stops are listed on the directory at the bus stop.

Just look for Eunos MRT if you want the nearest but I believe there are also other buses connecting to the town areas if you'd want that (Somerset, Orchard or Dhoby Ghaut Stations). To Eunos MRT it'd be about 15minutes by bus.

I grew up at the East Coast! Lots of rich heritage there.

Some things you can do near your hotel:

-Talk a walk down East Coast road (behind your hotel). There remnants of those old shop houses. There are restaurants serving Laksa and other Peranakan food there and it probably makes for a tad bit of sightseeing

- Parkway Parade, a pretty big mall is directly in front of the hotel (Marine Parade Road). Pretty good for shopping and food

- East Coast beach is a 5 minute walk in front of your hotel. You can cycle, skate etc, usual beach activities. You can have a meal there. There's a good foodcourt and lots of restaurants at the beach but they're a bit of a walk down from your hotel.

If you happen to go down Marine Parade Rd you might pass by St. Patrick's School (= My former school with quite a heritage. Was used during the war as a hospital for the Allies and after the war as a regional headquarters during the Japanese orientation and the old blocks still remain.

Its also interesting to note that Marine Parade Rd, the area in front of the hotel to the beach is all built on reclaimed land!

As for Fitness First, I think your nearest clubhouses will be in Town- Orchard (The Paragon Mall), Dhoby Ghaut (The Cathay), City Hall (OUB Centre). You'll have to take a train or bus down
            http://www.fitnessfirst.com.sg/sg/clubinfo/main.asp

Feel free to drop me a message here if you have any questions on getting around

Comment

Jasperlife,

From Marine Parade Rd:

- Bus 76, 135 will take you to Paya Lebar MRT
              - Bus 31 will take you to Kallang MRT
              - Bus 36 will take you to Suntec, City Hall, Orchard
              - Bus 48 will take you to Bugis, Little India, Newton
              - Bus 196 will take you to Suntec, Marina Bay, Raffles Pl

From East Coast Rd:

- Bus 14 will take you to Suntec, City Hall, Orchard
              - Bus 12 will take you to Lavender MRT, Bugis

Comment

Tks all for great tips .

I am sure there are alot resturants to take a try...

I was in Little India last two times ... way nice Pakistan/ Indian curry...

sure alot indian food on the way...

Jasper

Comment

Bro & Sisters...

I am in SIN....

LOL...

Very hot .. and good weather day ...

Comment

All this talk about taking MRT and Buses.. Why not just jump in a cab, so much more convenient

What made you choose the Roxy over the countless other hotels closer to the city?

Comment

Originally posted by Jasperlife View Post
                      Bro & Sisters...

I am in SIN....

LOL...

Very hot .. and good weather day ...
                      Business or pleasure....

(pleasure)

...... then WELCOME my Firend......
                      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Speaking of Orchard Towers, I was there with a couple of friends both male and female the other day.

I had to laugh when my gf and I got into a cab Uncle's first words were "Hotel 81, sir?"

My gf without missing a beat, quipped "But Uncle, Fragrance Hotel cheaper lah" hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                          Speaking of Orchard Towers, I was there with a couple of friends both male and female the other day.

I had to laugh when my gf and I got into a cab Uncle's first words were "Hotel 81, sir?"

My gf without missing a beat, quipped "But Uncle, Fragrance Hotel cheaper lah" hahaha
                          You, sir, are a very lucky man

Comment

Kyo,

I couldn't agree with you more, such a quick and calm wit. There would be a lot of girls and guys out there who would get super offended by Uncle's comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                              All this talk about taking MRT and Buses.. Why not just jump in a cab, so much more convenient

What made you choose the Roxy over the countless other hotels closer to the city?
                              It is pre-arranged by company...

Or I 'd better take one clsoe to MRT or central....

BTW, the bus is really confusing and I am thinking myself like the guy in "

lost in translation " .

Comment

Working...
                              X