• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BKK Airport Unsafe?

The following is from CNN.......

Bangkok airport officially unsafe
    POSTED: 2:57 a.m. EST, January 27, 2007

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Aviation authorities have refused to extend an international safety certificate for Bangkok's new international airport, a senior official said Saturday, dealing another blow to the problem-plagued facility.

With runway and tarmac repairs at Suvarnabhumi airport still under way, the Department of Civil Aviation decided Friday not to renew its interim safety certificate, which expired a day earlier. The airport can, however, continue to operate without the license.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, the airport's general manager, said the airport also has yet to set up a safety committee as required by the International Civil Aviation Organization because authorities are "busy resolving others problems."

The issue will be discussed at the next board meeting, Somchai said, adding that he was confident the certificate will be renewed after the safety committee has been established.

Local newspapers have reported that some foreign pilots raised concerns about safety issues at the Suvarnabhumi, but Somchai said such fears were not voiced at a meeting of airline representatives on Friday.

The International Civil Aviation Organization has made it a requirement for international airports to hold an Aerodrome Certificate -- aimed at standardizing global airport operations. Suvarnabhumi can nonetheless continue to operate without the certificate because it has yet to incorporate that requirement into law.

The airport was enmeshed in one corruption scandal after another during its construction, and since its opening last September problems have surfaced ranging from an inadequate number of toilets to cracks on taxiways leading to the runway. Probes are being carried out into a number of corrupt deals related to the facility.

On Thursday, several incoming flights were diverted to another airport about 200 kilometers (125 miles) away after debris was found on a runway.

The discovery of taxiway cracks, which began appearing about two weeks after the airport opened, was made public last week by lawmakers inspecting the airport.

Cracks at 25 separate locations made it impossible to use 11 out of 51 air bridges for boarding aircraft, causing inconvenience to passengers who had to take buses to and from their planes, Transport Minister Thira Hao-Charoen said Thursday after an inspection visit.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I don't think the news is new, but my mom stays up with the airport news quite a bit.

She reads the news in Thai. So One runway is almost of no use, the airbridges are almost impossible to use. On top of that airliners are scared to land at BKK. The worst is that the airport is not even ISO9001 etc.. certified and can not be because of all the cracks..

After they find out about who is behind all the corruption, watch for major problems to arise with these people.

Comment

So much for creating a rival to SIN and HKG.

I wonder how the damage to TG's and Thailand's reputation will be contained.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

This is huge slap for the old government - mightily embarassing for them!

Comment

It seems that the financial rewards and prestige that the new airport could have brought Thailand have been squandered simply to enrich probably just a few greedy people. I guess I am far too idealistic. I'd like to have thought that those in charge would have appreciated how important this project could be to the larger financial success of the region. It's disappointing to learn just how out of touch they must have been.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            This is huge slap for the old government - mightily embarassing for them!
            I honestly don't think they care. They're already done lining their pockets with money. Mission accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter11 View Post
              It seems that the financial rewards and prestige that the new airport could have brought Thailand have been squandered simply to enrich probably just a few greedy people. I guess I am far too idealistic. I'd like to have thought that those in charge would have appreciated how important this project could be to the larger financial success of the region. It's disappointing to learn just how out of touch they must have been.
              Shall we visit BKK?

Comment

Working...
              X